Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BGG» Forums » BoardGameGeek Events » BGG.CON

Subject: Orphans/First Timer Meet-Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible to have multiple orphan/first timer meet-ups (Maybe Wednesday, Thursday and Friday). There are probably a good number of first-timers and orphans that can't make it day 1. I would expect a good number of people won't arrive until later Thursday or even Friday.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be willing to work another one, but once the con really gets going on Thursday and Friday, Team Geek gets really busy, so I'm not sure if enough of us would be available. Please feel free to ask us though, if you have questions, need directions, or have a problem.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no reason not to set up unofficial orphans' get-togethers that require no support from the con at all.

"Having trouble meeting people to game with? Come to the hall outside the library at 7:43 pm and find people to go check out a game with."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
How much support needs to come from Team Geek? I'm far from a first timer and no longer an orphan, but I've never been on Wednesday and assume that a fair fraction of the first timers/orphans likewise can never be served by this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This interests me! Also, I don't think we would necessarily need Team Geek support, just a set time/place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
Avatar
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: 2018 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: GameChat League - Gelato Division: "Discover your favorite flavour!"Microbadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge:  The few, the proud, the exhausted... BGG.CON Team Geek!
Since the majority of attendees (over 50%) arrive on the first day, having it Wednesday night actually works really well.

It would be really neat though if folks who attend or who have attended before could do a First Timers/Orphans pay it forward and have meetups throughout the rest of the weekend for folks who missed it.

I'll also be bringing a presentation in electronic form, so maybe I can share that somehow as well. Let me know if that is of interest.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Lil Red Head wrote:
Since the majority of attendees (over 50%) arrive on the first day, having it Wednesday night actually works really well.
Do the majority of orphans/first timers arrive on the first day? I know that the first time I went it was just for a long weekend since I wasn't sure how much I'd want.

Lil Red Head wrote:
It would be really neat though if folks who attend or who have attended before could do a First Timers/Orphans pay it forward and have meetups throughout the rest of the weekend for folks who missed it.

I'll also be bringing a presentation in electronic form, so maybe I can share that somehow as well. Let me know if that is of interest.
If we could get another one on the schedule that'd be great but I'm leery of just posting something here and hoping it'll work out: I remember doing that for a second twitter meet up a few years ago and being alone in the lobby for a while.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Triumph & Tragedy - "No peace in our time"Microbadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Canadian WargamerMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4x fan
Perhaps someone on the geek admin team could be designated as 'firsttimer chaperone' and could be called in when a late arrival identifies as a firsttimer wanting help to be given the quick tour, verbally or otherwise?

I myself showed up solo 2 years ago and just winged it, but it helped to have multiple wargames previouslly scheduled via the wargamers geeklist.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
Talonz wrote:
Perhaps someone on the geek admin team could be designated as 'firsttimer chaperone' and could be called in when a late arrival identifies as a firsttimer wanting help to be given the quick tour, verbally or otherwise?

I myself showed up solo 2 years ago and just winged it, but it helped to have multiple wargames previouslly scheduled via the wargamers geeklist.
I can take you under my wing Geoff. laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Triumph & Tragedy - "No peace in our time"Microbadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Canadian WargamerMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4x fan
Roger that wingleader! laugh
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Roger that wingleader! laugh
I see what you did there...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will T
msg tools
Microbadge: Lords of Waterdeep fan - Knights Of The Shield
Not sure if people are still looking at this thread, but I am also a new timer and will be there tomorrow. Anyone have advice or tips for a solo person looking to just play games with people?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
Avatar
mbmbmb
dub_t wrote:
Not sure if people are still looking at this thread, but I am also a new timer and will be there tomorrow. Anyone have advice or tips for a solo person looking to just play games with people?
Check out this thread for some ideas.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1458048/i-have-badge-and-pl...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will T
msg tools
Microbadge: Lords of Waterdeep fan - Knights Of The Shield
PeterHendee wrote:
dub_t wrote:
Not sure if people are still looking at this thread, but I am also a new timer and will be there tomorrow. Anyone have advice or tips for a solo person looking to just play games with people?
Check out this thread for some ideas.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1458048/i-have-badge-and-pl...
Thanks so much!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
Avatar
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: 2018 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: GameChat League - Gelato Division: "Discover your favorite flavour!"Microbadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge:  The few, the proud, the exhausted... BGG.CON Team Geek!
I estimate that 60 to 75% of attendees picked up their badges today. We had almost 100 people in the meetup, so hopefully enough folks looking for more first timer meetups can work on scheduling some unofficial gatherings for the folks who didn't come to the meetup (and are still looking for more personalized direction). Also, Team Geek is always on the lookout for folks looking lost and especially wearing the First Timer blue ribbon, so that's another way folks can help out if you guys with suggestions want to jump in and be helpful.

I think it's awesome that so many people want to jump in and help other attendees at the con. It's one of the reasons BGG events are so special.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls