Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the board games out there, this one is popping up in places like Home Sense and London Drugs, here in Canada. Sure these places might carry Monopoly and such, but it is surprising to find a game of this type there. Have you ever come across decent board games for sale in an unusual place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually got my copy of Machi Koro at Homesense here in Winnipeg, because there was a (perfectly fine) discounted copy hiding amidst their regular priced ones. I've seen decent stuff at London Drugs, and got a cheap copy of Risk: Balance of Power there.

I can't think of anywhere else off-hand, except sometimes Dollarama has the strangest (and definitely not good) board games - Banzai anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshx wrote:
I actually got my copy of Machi Koro at Homesense here in Winnipeg, because there was a (perfectly fine) discounted copy hiding amidst their regular priced ones.

Very cool. One thing I am super curious about -- is that version of Machi Koro, the earlier printing where the card size doesn't match the expansion card sizes? Seemed likely to me that maybe large shipments of unbought flats of the game with bad cards got picked up by some of these stores. (If that is possible??)

If you ever purchase one of the expansions, check your base game cards - IDW Games replaced my base game cards no problem, so contact them if you have the same case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshx wrote:
I actually got my copy of Machi Koro at Homesense here in Winnipeg, because there was a (perfectly fine) discounted copy hiding amidst their regular priced ones. I've seen decent stuff at London Drugs, and got a cheap copy of Risk: Balance of Power there.

I can't think of anywhere else off-hand, except sometimes Dollarama has the strangest (and definitely not good) board games - Banzai anyone?

I found a Star Wars game made by Wiz Kids at the Dollar store - called Star Wars Pocket model packs. I wondered if the game would be any good... that seems questionable given that there were a pile of copies at the dollar store for about a dollar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also seen Machi Koro appear in the toy store brochures for the Saint-Nicolas feast over here in Belgium, together with Village, Camel Up and some other games. These brochures are predominantly aimed at younger children (think 8 max), so I wonder how these games will sell, but it was nice to see anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did a picture search for Star Wars Pocket model packs and it looks cool. Pretty much like their Pirates of the Spanish Main CCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw Machi Koro at my local Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vfxtrev wrote:
Very cool. One thing I am super curious about -- is that version of Machi Koro, the earlier printing where the card size doesn't match the expansion card sizes? Seemed likely to me that maybe large shipments of unbought flats of the game with bad cards got picked up by some of these stores. (If that is possible??)

If you ever purchase one of the expansions, check your base game cards - IDW Games replaced my base game cards no problem, so contact them if you have the same case.

Thanks for the heads-up! I do plan on getting the expansions but haven't yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.