Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So my brother and i just played our first game. Really enjoyed it. Some of the first things we noticed are: 1.) these cards a nice quality
2.) you can build up a lot of ssanity
3.) wow you have to keep hammering your opponent or they will get right back up to 50+ sanity
4.) if I do A it will lead to B which let's me do C - Z for massive points, sanity gain, and/or damage!
5.) must play again. I wonder how it will be wwith more players!

But now for a few qquestions

1.) brain cylinder let's you do 2 damage if a location is out. Does that mmean oonly if a location was played during your turn? Or do locations from previous turns still count? And is it only your locations?

2.) some cards let you abjure them for added effects. Others let you bring back abjure ccards. We would play one that abjure itself and then play the other to bring it back to our deck. Like using arkham sanitarium to do 5 ddamage then bringing it back with keziah Mason (it still counts as playing a purple card right?)

3.) near the beginning of the game we could barely touch each other. A few M. U. Medical staff cards came up and we each could only do at most 5 damage a turn that was quickly healed with its +4. As the game went on our combos got bigger and bigger. I think one attack I did 25 damage and healed myself 12. Is that normal? It was a lot of fun figuring out how the cards work together but we're not sure if that beginning game barely hurting each other thing is normal or if the M. U. Medical staff gave us an early game boost in defence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias K├Ânig
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
backspace8908 wrote:

1.) brain cylinder let's you do 2 damage if a location is out. Does that mmean oonly if a location was played during your turn? Or do locations from previous turns still count? And is it only your locations?
Locations from previous turns count as well. And only your locations

backspace8908 wrote:

2.) some cards let you abjure them for added effects. Others let you bring back abjure ccards. We would play one that abjure itself and then play the other to bring it back to our deck. Like using arkham sanitarium to do 5 ddamage then bringing it back with keziah Mason (it still counts as playing a purple card right?)
I don't see the question
When you bring cards back from the 'abjured-pile', they go to your discard pile and not to your hand/table.

backspace8908 wrote:

3.) near the beginning of the game we could barely touch each other. A few M. U. Medical staff cards came up and we each could only do at most 5 damage a turn that was quickly healed with its +4. As the game went on our combos got bigger and bigger. I think one attack I did 25 damage and healed myself 12. Is that normal? It was a lot of fun figuring out how the cards work together but we're not sure if that beginning game barely hurting each other thing is normal or if the M. U. Medical staff gave us an early game boost in defence
That depends on which cards are available. There are games in which you can use big heal-combos and in other games you'll lose sanatiy very quickly without regaining any.

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
My first impressions are that you might be doing something wrong, your description doesn't sound quite right. It might be that you just have had some unusual combinations come up but still...
backspace8908 wrote:
So my brother and i just played our first game. Really enjoyed it. Some of the first things we noticed are: 1.) these cards a nice quality
2.) you can build up a lot of ssanity
3.) wow you have to keep hammering your opponent or they will get right back up to 50+ sanity
4.) if I do A it will lead to B which let's me do C - Z for massive points, sanity gain, and/or damage!
5.) must play again. I wonder how it will be wwith more players!
While it certain is possible to build up a lot of Sanity, the right cards need to come out to be able to do so. I don't think it's something you can expect to occur every game.

Maybe you just had a small sample size of games played and it just so happens you were able to do this. But I suspect you might b doing something wrong.
backspace8908 wrote:
Brain Cylinder means you must have a Location in play.

It doesn't matter if the Location appeared this turn or from a previous turn. In general, cards in play do not need a "memory" so you don't have to remember if a specific card was played this turn or a previous turn (the only time it matters is when you Acquire an Abjured card).

Therefore, if you play the Brain Cylinder and you have a Location in your play area then you cause a player to lose 2 Sanity.
backspace8908 wrote:
If I understand what you are saying, then it's wrong.

You said "it still counts as playing a purple card right?" I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. If you are saying that since Keziah Mason is purple then you can activate it's Acquire an Abjured Card ability, then you mistaken.

The rules (under "Prerequisites") says "A card icon indicates that you must have another card of this color in play to activate this ability".

So you must have another purple card in play. It cannot use itself to satisfy the purple card requirement. You also cannot use Arkham Sanitarium to satisfy the purple card requirement either, because by then Arkham Sanitarium has been abjured away and is no longer in play.

BTW, it's not "playing a purple card" that will satisfy the requirement, the requirement is that another purple card is in play.
backspace8908 wrote:
There are only three M.U. Medical Staff cards in the deck so it is rather unusual for both of you to get them in play straight away. They cost 5 each so it might be a few turns before you can afford one of them. Your starting hands only contain 4 Conjuring Power so you need to purchase more Conjuring Power first then then get a hand with enough to be able to afford the M.U. Medical Staff.

You also seem to imply that the both of you were able to play one of these cards every turn. While theoretically possible, I think it would be unlikely this was happening.

Are you sure you are playing correctly? At the end of your turn, you must discard all Entity and Artifact card from play, including any cards left in your hand.

Are you sure you are paying for the cards correctly? M.U. Medical Staff costs 5 Conjuring Power to acquire. Keziah Mason costs 7 Conjuring Power. As mentioned earlier, your starting hands (2 Initiates, 2 Goons, and 6 Followers) can, at best, generate 4 Conjuring Power. Clearly you build this up at the start of the game but it seems you were able to purchase some expensive cards rather quickly.

M.U. Medical Staff certainly does give you a boost in defence but you only get to use it once before you discard it and it then needs to cycle through your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We didn't get the M. U. Medical staff at the very beginning, maybe around turn 3-4 but then we focused a lot on building up our decks instead of attacking each other.

And sorry. Ok so some cards let you adjure themselves. Like Catacomb, it has the ability to adjure itself to destroy a location. So if I do that and then in the same turn play Dean Halsey and use his ability to unadjure a card can I bring back Catacomb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can bring a card back that you just abjured. But note there are 2 requirements. First you can only abjure a card that costs 6 or less conjuring power and you can only recall a card from the scrap pile that was abjured this turn, not any card you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
backspace8908 wrote:
Ok so some cards let you adjure themselves. Like Catacomb, it has the ability to adjure itself to destroy a location. So if I do that and then in the same turn play Dean Halsey and use his ability to unadjure a card can I bring back Catacomb?
That sounds correct.

Catacomb abjures itself and allows you to destroy a Location. Destroying a Location just means it goes into its owner's discard pile, it doesn't get abjured itself. That is quite a cost to just have one card discarded.

Dean Halsey does indeed allow you to un-abjure a card that was abjured this turn and then it gets placed on top of your deck. Plus, as long as you have another purple card in play (i.e. apart from either Catacomb and Dean Halsey) then you can draw a card! And what a surprize, Catacombs is now sitting on top of your deck!

This makes Catacomb and Dean Halsey a great combination. Mind, Dean Halsey is one of the most expensive cards (at 8 cost) but with that combination you remove the weakness of Catacombs (in that it had to be Abjured to just get a Location discarded). If you build yourself a mostly purple deck then it looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One more quick question. I know in 3-4 player games sanity damage affects the players on your left and right. Discarding and drawing action you pick which player it affects but what about destroying location? Do uyou also have to pick which player that affects or is it the two next to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
backspace8908 wrote:
One more quick question. I know in 3-4 player games sanity damage affects the players on your left and right. Discarding and drawing action you pick which player it affects but what about destroying location? Do uyou also have to pick which player that affects or is it the two next to you?
Sanity loss is applied to both your adjacent neighbors. Other actions against them are specific. So if you destroyed a Location then you select the one Location to be destroyed. If you force a player to discard cards, then you select one of your adjacent neighbors to discard the cards.

So, apart from Sanity, other abilities are played as normal where you select a player or a card. The one exception is that in a 4 player game, you cannot "attack" the player opposite, you can only attack your adjacent neighbors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of discarding if the actin is [-1/+1] the person you assign it to has to discard and draw. You can't make one person discard and another person draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls