Hide
24 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: KD:M vs. Folklore: The Affliction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viper .
msg tools
I know KD:M is supposed to be a great RPG-style game, but so is Folklore. Folklore also has a Choose-Your-Own-Story mechanic that KD:M seems to lack, but KD:M probably has certain mechanics that Folklore lacks. They are both games with a lot of breadth, and an All-in Kickstarter pledge for Folklore costs approximately the same as KD:M core game.

So which is likely to be better and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I invested in both! (ouch)

I can say that KD:M is pretty unique so far. It's not as much a role-play for characters as it is a very thematic colony building game. Characters die. Often in interesting ways, but also often due to standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've quite enjoyed it so far. The setting/atmosphere is unusual and compelling. The breadth of possibilities is very large. I do worry about it getting stale after a while (mostly due to the limited number of monsters to hunt currently), but presumably that will open up over time.

Folklore looks good too, in a more story-focused fashion. In KD:M, at least so far, the story sort of evolves uniquely for each campaign.

Best of luck deciding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
The major thing that gives me pause regarding F:TA is its publisher: Greenbriar Games. Zpocalypse is just awful, and their last big title, Heavy Steam, landed with a yawn earlier this year. They do not have a good track record.

That said, I don't think F:TA looks bad, per se, but it does look like another cookie cutter dungeon crawler. It's just, instead of borrowing from Forgotten Realms like Descent did, it's borrowing from Ravenloft.

KD:M is just so incredibly unique, and it's difficult to imagine that F:TA, even if it's decent, would be better. The problem is that uniqueness comes at a very high price. If you're really on the fence about it and money is a big concern (as it is for most folks), then you should settle for F:TA. If money isn't an issue, though, KD:M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
TheKillShirt wrote:
The major thing that gives me pause regarding F:TA is its publisher: Greenbriar Games. Zpocalypse is just awful, and their last big title, Heavy Steam, landed with a yawn earlier this year. They do not have a good track record.
Harsh, but very fair assessment.

That said, if the theme of Folklore strikes your fancy or you dislike assembling miniatures a great deal. It might be worth a chance? Complete edition is $300 though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Looks like Folklore is 1-2 years away. That makes Kingdom Death better for playing any time soon. Beyond that you should know your tastes in games better than anyone here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The d100 combat system in Folklore looks goofy and the publisher has a weak track record. KDM is a great, unique experience and is getting excellent reviews with actual customer feedback. I'd go with KDM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKillShirt wrote:
For whatever it's worth, my understanding is that the folks actually behind Folklore are Twin Fire Productions. Greenbriar came in after the initial Kickstarter (which I believe was funded) was cancelled to allow them to adjust . . . stuff. I only came in on the second campaign, but I'm sure someone who was around then could explain better than I just didn't.

Anyway: Greenbriar is sort of helping them along, but they didn't design the game itself. I believe a lot of what they're doing is related to the production of miniatures. How are Greenbriar's minis? I believe they are also involved in the Battle Royale / Fairytale minis, and I can't remember hearing anyone complain about those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
TheKillShirt wrote:

That said, I don't think F:TA looks bad, per se, but it does look like another cookie cutter dungeon crawler. It's just, instead of borrowing from Forgotten Realms like Descent did, it's borrowing from Ravenloft.

KD:M is just so incredibly unique, and it's difficult to imagine that F:TA, even if it's decent, would be better. The problem is that uniqueness comes at a very high price. If you're really on the fence about it and money is a big concern (as it is for most folks), then you should settle for F:TA. If money isn't an issue, though, KD:M.
Settle for Folklore? LOL! You are acting as if KD:M is a brand new Rolls Royce or something. It's just a $300 board game. $300 is nothing. Heck, going all-out on a number of dungeon crawlers, costs more than $300 each. Folklore is every bit as unique as KD:M, and can be just as expensive if purchasing the all-in Kickstarter pledge. I know KD:M is a great game, but let's not exaggerate here about the price and let's not pretend like it's some unobtainable treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
TheKillShirt wrote:

Settle for Folklore? LOL! You are acting as if KD:M is a brand new Rolls Royce or something. It's just a $300 board game. $300 is nothing. Heck, going all-out on a number of dungeon crawlers, costs more than $300 each. Folklore is every bit as unique as KD:M, and can be just as expensive if purchasing the all-in Kickstarter pledge. I know KD:M is a great game, but let's not exaggerate here about the price and let's not pretend like it's some unobtainable treasure.
Did I say that, that it was an "unobtainable treasure"? Wow, not really understanding the hostile response here. You asked for opinions, I gave mine.

I was remarking that it's an expensive game, and while, apparently, you don't care how expensive it is, many others who have commented on these forums have agonized over whether to spend that much money on a single game. And $300 IS a lot of money, even for most chronic board gamers. Not to mention that, unless they reopen preorders, the retail price will be $400 for KD:M, not $300.

And if you don't care about the money, then why is this even an issue? Can't you just buy both? I mean, "$300 is nothing", right? So nothing x 2 should be no big deal for you, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed both.

Folklore will hopefully be good but to call it 'unique' is ridiculous.

KDM on the other hand is absolutely unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to echo what Nick has said, I spend a lot on boardgames (mainly because I stopped other sports/hobbies over the past 4 or so years) but this is seldom on just ONE game, particularly with $50 postage on top.

The cost of KDM is equivalent to 4 or 5 regular FFG games and, as I value variety in game types, this is a lot of eggs in one basket.

I've actually resolved to "play what I own" so drew up a final wish list.
I know I will add a few new games over time that I cant resist but recently it has been "one in, one out". Space in the house is another driver. cry
KDM has knocked two KSs off the that list (1 current, 1 planned) - a hard decision.

What I really look for in games is something unusual in theme, mechanics, etc.
I try to avoid being completionist as I know that I tend to play a lot of games twice rather than one game 30 times (though there are some exceptions).
All-in is something I "try" to avoid because I wont use most of the extras

For me, based on my own understanding plus Nick's review and the comments of many others such as Teamski, KDM is totally distinct, Folklore is just a variation.

Over the past few years there has been an explosion in games available and of so many different flavours. I started regular gaming in the 1970's and there is simply no comparison.

In a crowded market of quality games, Folklore may be really good, but KDM looks to offer something that others currently don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
TheKillShirt wrote:

By the way this post reads it looks like you have your mind made up before creating the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
malkaven wrote:
Viper5121 wrote:
TheKillShirt wrote:

By the way this post reads it looks like you have your mind made up before creating the thread.
Nope. Still haven't made up my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I've learnt one thing from Kickstarters is that the hype machine you see in the campaign doesn't always translate into a solid (or indeed, a playable) game.

Look at Dark Darker Darkest for a good example, or the one I got burnt on, Guardians Chronicles.

You're comparing a games potential in FL to an actual game in KD. Based on my KS experience, and that of every game I backed the only one which i feel holds a candle to this in comparison of pitch to finished product is Shadows of Brimstone I'd strongly go down on the side of KD.

But hey! Ask this question on the Folklore forums and you'll find everyone saying back that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death is one of the best games I've ever played. Its certainly the best game I've backed on kickstarter (and I've backed an awful lot of them).

If Folklore even comes close I'll be a very happy man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
What's the point in this thread again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From you bashing the game, labelling it as "not a real game", to asking us which game is better. Wait, what?

Viper5121 wrote:

IMO, Kingdom Death Monster is not a real game, just a collectible miniatures project available in very limited quantities. A real game would have much better availability than that project. The miniatures are cool, but again, KDM is not a real game (i.e. doesn't count). And I'm quite sure the gameplay is nowhere near as good as Sword & Sorcery's gameplay.

IMO, Scythe's artwork is not even close the quality of Sword & Sorcery's artwork, and other than Scythe's few miniatures and main map board, Scythe's components are atrocious-->meeples? really?

Sword & Sorcery's minis are absolutely exceptional for a mass-produced board game, up there with Myth, Dungeon Saga, and Zombicide: Black Plague. In addition, Ares is also a proven company that already made an exceptional game-->Galaxy Defenders. And that is why the Sword & Sorcery Kickstarter is doing so well, and that is why the game is worth pledging for.

If anyone has a question about the quality of the miniatures for Sword & Sorcery, I suggest you thumb through the game's images on BGG. The miniatures are absolutely stunning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
When you ask if a) is better than b) on a)'s forum. You're basically asking the fan base bias to sell you on a)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
johnneh wrote:
From you bashing the game, labelling it as "not a real game", to asking us which game is better. Wait, what?

Viper5121 wrote:

IMO, Kingdom Death Monster is not a real game, just a collectible miniatures project available in very limited quantities. A real game would have much better availability than that project. The miniatures are cool, but again, KDM is not a real game (i.e. doesn't count). And I'm quite sure the gameplay is nowhere near as good as Sword & Sorcery's gameplay.

IMO, Scythe's artwork is not even close the quality of Sword & Sorcery's artwork, and other than Scythe's few miniatures and main map board, Scythe's components are atrocious-->meeples? really?

Sword & Sorcery's minis are absolutely exceptional for a mass-produced board game, up there with Myth, Dungeon Saga, and Zombicide: Black Plague. In addition, Ares is also a proven company that already made an exceptional game-->Galaxy Defenders. And that is why the Sword & Sorcery Kickstarter is doing so well, and that is why the game is worth pledging for.

If anyone has a question about the quality of the miniatures for Sword & Sorcery, I suggest you thumb through the game's images on BGG. The miniatures are absolutely stunning!
I wrote that before I saw Board Game Brawl's review on Kingdom Death: Monster. I admit I was skeptical of the game (as many others were) until that point. But since it's been getting rave reviews, I now assume it really is a great game. But I still think the limited availability of the game is a bit strange. However, that doesn't mean I still won't get the game if it's really that great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
Dark63 wrote:
When you ask if a) is better than b) on a)'s forum. You're basically asking the fan base bias to sell you on a)
That's true, but I figured I would ask anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
ohbalto wrote:
TheKillShirt wrote:
For whatever it's worth, my understanding is that the folks actually behind Folklore are Twin Fire Productions. Greenbriar came in after the initial Kickstarter (which I believe was funded) was cancelled to allow them to adjust . . . stuff. I only came in on the second campaign, but I'm sure someone who was around then could explain better than I just didn't.

Anyway: Greenbriar is sort of helping them along, but they didn't design the game itself. I believe a lot of what they're doing is related to the production of miniatures. How are Greenbriar's minis? I believe they are also involved in the Battle Royale / Fairytale minis, and I can't remember hearing anyone complain about those.
Though Heavy Steam and Zpocalypse may not be great games, they're not by the same designers. FTA sounds very interesting, and while its association with Greenbriar may raise some flags, I take some hope from the fact that it's a totally different team that developed FTA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
TheKillShirt wrote:
Viper5121 wrote:
TheKillShirt wrote:

Did I say that, that it was an "unobtainable treasure"? Wow, not really understanding the hostile response here. You asked for opinions, I gave mine.

I was remarking that it's an expensive game, and while, apparently, you don't care how expensive it is, many others who have commented on these forums have agonized over whether to spend that much money on a single game. And $300 IS a lot of money, even for most chronic board gamers. Not to mention that, unless they reopen preorders, the retail price will be $400 for KD:M, not $300.

And if you don't care about the money, then why is this even an issue? Can't you just buy both? I mean, "$300 is nothing", right? So nothing x 2 should be no big deal for you, right?
Just realized you are the host of Board Game Brawl and it was actually your video review that got me interested in KD:M. Thought I was just arguing with some anonymous internet fanboy, didn't even pay attention to your name. I will seriously have to think about which game to get now.

BTW, thanks for your video review of KD:M. It was well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymous internet fanboy who shoots his mouth off is my day job. By night I'm a super serious review guy.

But seriously thanks for watching the review. I'm just one guy though. I've seen a lot of really even handed comments and reviews in the forum here, coming at it from all angles, so look around and see if the scales tip in a certain direction. I certainly hope F:TA is good. I'm definitely up for trying it at least, despite what I said before. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also you are comparing a ~$100 board game to a $400 board game. Sure the Folklore KS All in price is $300 but you are getting a lot of bonus material, and not all gameplay related. If you compared to the KDM all-in price it would likely be closer to $800 or more if you just consider the planned expansions. MSRP is not finalized yet but I think the last reported values were $50 for a small expansion and $80 for a large expansion. That's more than many full games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls