Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: I pimped my AgricolaMicrobadge: Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (fourth edition) fan
That's remarkable. Chickens coming home to roost for all of us racists I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But do -WE- get a fund-raising concert or a White Middle Aged Awareness Day? Hellz-with-a-Z no!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
Quote:
The mortality rate for white men and women ages 45-54 with less than a college education increased markedly between 1999 and 2013, most likely because of problems with legal and illegal drugs, alcohol and suicide, the researchers concluded. Before then, death rates for that group dropped steadily, and at a faster pace.
Nothing wrong with the middle class at all, no, why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are all victims of the sick culture produced by the destructive and deadly monetary system. Please investigate a resource based economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
We are all victims of the sick culture produced by the destructive and deadly monetary system. Please investigate a resource based economy.
I think I have figured out why all the middle class white men are committing suicide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Competence- It's like a whole new form of cheating!
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
LightRider wrote:
I think I have figured out why all the middle class white men are committing suicide!
Overinvestment in a pixel-based culture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
Okay, I have and it's bunk. Now what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Investigate resource-based economy.
2. Determine that it's bunk.
3. You're obviously the brainwashed product of a sick monetary system.
4. Goto 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Amateur AstronomerMicrobadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: I ride my bike everywhere!
Drugs, alcohol and suicide, eh?
What is it that white middle-aged Americans have easy access to that make suicide attempts convenient and successful? Knives, pills and car exhaust have very high survival rates. So what makes America different from Canada or Sweden?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
What is it that white middle-aged Americans have easy access to that make suicide attempts convenient and successful? Knives, pills and car exhaust have very high survival rates. So what makes America different from Canada or Sweden?
Health care?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
badge
speculative and begging for drama
mbmbmbmbmb
Income inequality?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Health care?
No fear of the future.

They are countries that don't kill their old people through induced poverty.

Interesting to compare with Australia too. It's the world's 5th fattest country, so older people aren't particularly healthy ... but they don't (indirectly) discriminate against economically weaker sections of the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
LightRider wrote:
Okay, I have and it's bunk. Now what?
Investigate it again but harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
The US had a suicide rate that puts it 50th in the world if you believe Wikipedia's stats. Some other highly developed nations that rank higher include South Korea (#2!), Japan, Finland, Iceland, and Belgium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

I thought Canada had a marginally higher suicide rate. Turns out I was right.
https://suicideinfo.ca/Library/AboutSuicide/FAQ.aspx
The link you provided says that you are wrong:
How do our Canadian suicide rates compare with other countries?
Our average rate of suicide in Canada for 2010 was 11.6 per 100,000. The average rate of suicide in the USA for 2010 was 12.1 per 100,000.

and

Have Canadian suicide rates always been higher than the United States?
No. The suicide rates for Canada and the United States show that up to 1971, the reported rates for both sexes were lower in Canada than the United States. Since 1977 the suicide rates in Canada have been greater than the U.S. For a look back at Canada’s suicide statistics (1950-1922), see the graph found here: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-x/2012001/article/chart/....

You are correct about the Inuit population specifically though. One government source puts it at 135 per 100,000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Hmm. not sure. Perhaps I should just take a shot in the dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I'll look at data instead

https://www.afsp.org/understanding-suicide/facts-and-figures

Suicide Methods

In 2013, firearms were the most common method of death by suicide, accounting for a little more than half (51.4%) of all suicide deaths. The next most common methods were suffocation (including hangings) at 24.5% and poisoning at 16.1% (Figure 7).

Suicide Rates by Geographic Region/State

In 2013, nine U.S. states, all in the West, had age-adjusted suicide rates in excess of 18: Montana (23.7), Alaska (23.1), Utah (21.4), Wyoming (21.4), New Mexico (20.3), Idaho (19.2), Nevada (18.2), Colorado (18.5), and South Dakota (18.2).

Hmmm. Hey Wiki, how about UK?

The most common method used in the United Kingdom is hanging. ... Suicide using firearms accounts for only a very small fraction, possibly due to tight gun control very few households in the UK possess them (4 per cent).

Appears in canada it's firearms and hanging (followed by poisoning).

--

So why?
http://www.popularsocialscience.com/2013/08/13/why-do-people...

Possibly because there is too much change? Things are changing to fast. But not sure how that applies to older white males than other groups. Perhaps unable to measure up to fathers and grandfathers standards of living?

Perhaps rise in mental disorders (bipolar tie to suicidal thoughts is significant.)

You'd have to know the age. Are they truely middle aged? (50ish?) or are they 50 to 85? I can see lots of reasons people would commit suicide after 70.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
LightRider wrote:
Seeing all their bitcon investments go west?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Stupidity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
well it says white middle-aged americans WITHOUT a college education - so i guess only rsp conservatives are affected

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bugger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
The trend up started in 1999, Time Traveler Obama strikes again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Yes did you now know that he is a time lord, the most evil of the lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
jmilum wrote:
obama is merely a puppet for the new world order whose goal it is to create one light brown human race which is why all the whites have to die or marry a minority i have it from a pretty legit site (infowars)

disgusting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote: