• [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of. Also like a streamlined version of Freedom in the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
If it' a streamlined version of Freedom in the Galaxy, that would be awesome. It's also really weird, because FotG was obviously ripped off from Star Wars.

It's obviously beautiful, and I'm hoping that the gameplay will live up to the components. (But it's FFG, and they've got a good rep for good gameplay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fairweather fan
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Knowing a little bit about the Rebellion PC game, reading the description of the FFG game is very much akin to reading ad copy many years ago about Star Wars Rebellion from LucasArts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I absolutely adored that game - especially:
--the way public opinion in the dozens of systems was affected by diplomatic missions, by ground or space victories, by orbital bombardments, or by the Empire's first use of the dreaded Death Star;
--the way control of friendly/unfriendly systems required proportionately sized garrisons;
--the way the Rebels / Empire played a cat and mouse game, esp. in the Outer Rim, with the Empire having to use probe droids to hunt down the Rebel leaders and forces;
--the use of commando teams to sabotage enemy facilities or military resources, assassinate enemy leaders or incite revolts;
--the space battles that one could command;
--the way production and maintenance of military forces was dependent on the building of a balanced network of mines, refineries and construction facilities;
...and a hundred other things. I thought it a very good operational model of insurgency/counterinsurgency.

Happy, happy days. If the boardgame encapsulates any of this, I will be very pleased - although one wonders how hidden movement could be modelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Lamch
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how they will put 4 players there??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does look like some ideas have been taken from the pc game which is great as I really liked the pc version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Probably split each side between two players, like War of the Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope so as Rebellion was (is) my favorite Star Wars strategy game. I played it to death when I was a kid. Now all I need is for FFG to add single player support to the board game (even if only though a mobile app), and I'd be a happy camper. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cocks
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will the voice of Leia pop up every time you win a battle and say....

"We did it!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Schexnayder
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I remember that game getting a lot of criticism at the time for what it wasn't (a hyper detailed space combat game) but it and TIE Fighter are the two Star Wars games I still will play on emulator today because they were so much fun. A board game version would be amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved rebellion! I hope this gives out that same feel.

The fleet combat!
The structures.
The character missions.
The ground assaults.
The resource management!

just awesome awesome stuff.

Anyone know where one might get that video game now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask and ye shall receive! http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Praxus wrote:
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Fuchs
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The SW: Rebellion PC game has one of the most cumbersome interface and some of the worst controls I have ever encountered in any game.
However it is one of the only game I still want to play after so many years, happily suffering from the above. In some aspect it is not only the pinacle of computer gaming but also the entire star wars saga.
If this game has any resembelence to it, than my wallet is doomed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentence wrote:
The SW: Rebellion PC game has one of the most cumbersome interface and some of the worst controls I have ever encountered in any game.
Yeah, it really did. Yet it was still so fun and immersive. No other Star Wars game has felt quite like it. I'm in the (seeming) minority who prefer it over Empire at War.

My first thought when I saw the game was of the PC game. I couldn't be more excited for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always loved in the PC game the different character messages when they failed a task. Vader for example was very matter of fact while the Emperor actually berated you for not supporting him enough.

That said, I do see elements ofFreedom in the Galaxy in the FFG description so we will see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if they just add in the ability to pancake Rebel troops during ground battles in your Imperial four-wheelers from "Empire at War", it'll be perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I first got RSI playing SW Rebellion online. Endless amounts of clicking through lists and windows trying to keep up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentence wrote:
Don't worry. The boardgame will certainly have refreshed UI and controls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mass Effect fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Original Trilogy fanMicrobadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: "Make It So!" - Captain Jean Luc PicardMicrobadge: Fallout fan
alastair john jack wrote:
Looks like it to me!
I was also asking exactly that myself.

I ignored the video game back then because of the very mixed reviews it received, but it seems it was actually good enough to be the inspiration for this board game. I am really surprised, but in a good way, as I am always up for new good board games plus I still don't own a single Star Wars game ! surprise

I'm curious about the reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I read about this game, the more I am convinced that it is indeed based on the computer game.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-reb...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: At the Gates of Loyang fanMicrobadge: Antiquity fanMicrobadge: YOU SHALL NOT PASS!Microbadge: Caverna: The Forgotten Folk fanMicrobadge: The Silmarillion fan
I spent many many hours on that pc game.

And I imagine I will spend many many hours on this game if it even captures a bit of that great pc game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember a 24-hour marathon session playing the PC game back in 1997, with only the occasional bathroom, sandwich and cigarette pit-stop. I was spellbound by that wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivans Ivanovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Star Wars Rebellion but it also was released under Star Wars Supremacy in some markets. I still remember the awesome moment in the game when Luke completed his training on Dagobah and returned back - becoming able to discover force in several of my other rebel leaders/generals. He then proceeded to train them (giving a decent boost to their military and diplomacy skills upon succes). Unfortunately, at some point Luke got captured by Vader and..was brought to the Emperor to get converted to the dark side. In the "final" confrontation Luke wounded both Emperor and Vader and escaped capturing both of them. Unfortunately for me - Luke brought them to the secret rebel base (flying Bespin city). And few days later entire Imperial armada showed up and bombed the hell out of my secret base...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |