8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: FF sleeve colours? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
inkey jones
msg tools
Just a quick question...

The Fantasy Flight size I need, they seem to be 'out of' in the normal clear colour

But they have them in black, red, green

The black seems closest to a neutral colour

So… as I have never seen these in real life [and am about to buy a box of 10 packs]

What do they look like ‘on’

If they were true black then surely you couldn’t see the cards?

Any experienced sleevers got any advice? Do they regret not going for plain sleeves?

I suppose I’m worried that plain ones are sold out – but all the coloured ones are still in stock

Also if anyone knows the best place to buy FF sleeves [in UK] in bulk that may help too

Thanks to anyone who can help me out of my ignorant haze

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 1 face of the sleeve is colored, the other is clear. The color covers the card back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inkey jones
msg tools
Ah

So I lose the flavour of the back of card design

Which is probably bad in all case except when ur mixing expansions or some such that have different backs

Given a free choice in normal game sleeving I guess everyone would go with clear

Unless there are other advantages to the backs being covered?

Thanks for that and apologies for it probably being obvious to everyone but me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burk
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut.
badge
These colonial marines are some very tough hombres
mbmbmbmbmb
inkD wrote:
Ah

Which is probably bad in all case except when ur mixing expansions or some such that have different backs

Given a free choice in normal game sleeving I guess everyone would go with clear

Unless there are other advantages to the backs being covered?

Thanks for that and apologies for it probably being obvious to everyone but me

Actually, for some games it is preferable to have different colored backs--especially those where the players' cards might get mixed together for whatever reason during the game. MTG comes to mind. Mage Wars is another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the custom back ones are nice for things like Netrunner. Legendary: Encounters also greatly benefits from colored backs as you have numerous different decks and yet 600+ cards with the same back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
inkD wrote:
Ah

It's not exclusively a bad thing. There are many games which have later printings with slightly different backs (Doomtown for instance, as I recently saw on these forums), so I've settled for art backs on small decks (player decks for LCGs, for example), and different colours for larger collections, if necessary. FFG also have print on demand cards which come from a different printer than their regular sets, and sometimes you mix them.

For LotR LCG I've got clear sleeves only on two-sided cards (quests, mainly), black sleeves for the encounter deck, red for special cards that are always set aside, whatever else is available for heroes (could go with one per sphere, but I have a surplus of green sleeves) and fancy One Ring sleeves for the player decks.

Most of the player cards I've left unsleeved, both to fit more in storage and because I just try to stick to 50-card player decks with those expensive sleeves.

Some games also have different decks with the same backs going in different piles, and never entering the players' hands, so you might want coloured backs to make setting up easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid backs are also useful if you want to produce custom content or add PnP to your retail game. They're also good for handling obviously damaged cards, as only the face side is visible at all.

For simple protection of cards however, I imagine most people would prefer clear (I'm not a big fan of sleeving in general myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inkey jones
msg tools
Thanks everyone

I bought 500 black and 500 blue backed FF standard sleeves

Along with clear sleeves in their green and red sizes

Thanks again

To think I started the thread thinking both sides were the same colour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.