Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Had a battle for a US controlled Wilmington where I was the defender, I lost the battle can I retreat by sea?

thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
Microbadge: The Beatles fanMicrobadge: Bruce Springsteen fanMicrobadge: Elvis Costello fanMicrobadge: Johnny Cash fanMicrobadge: Creedence Clearwater Revival fan
From either Wilmington? Yes, you may retreat by sea, so long as the French Navy isn't lurking offshore. From a fortified space such as Charleston or Philly? No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the reply. My vassal pbem opponent is still confused about the ruling, is there a faq or anything anywhere with a more clear answer from the rulebook. He is confused by the wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
Microbadge: The Beatles fanMicrobadge: Bruce Springsteen fanMicrobadge: Elvis Costello fanMicrobadge: Johnny Cash fanMicrobadge: Creedence Clearwater Revival fan
I don't think this is a FAQ, but we can break it down a bit. Under 9.62:

Quote:
Retreat by sea is only allowed if the battle space is not a blockaded port and is not a fortified port (Charleston SC, Philadelphia PA, Quebec, or Montreal) without a British PC marker in it.
Breaking it down, the British may retreat by sea from a port if BOTH of these conditions hold:

1) The port is not blockaded (by the French Navy) AND
2) The port is not (fortified and non-British-controlled).

Logic tells us that (not (A AND B)) is the same as ((not A) OR (not B)), so the second condition can be rewritten as

2a) The port is not fortified OR
2b) The port is British-controlled.

2b) is false, but for Wilmington, 2a) is true, so 2) is true. Therefore, if 1) is also true, the British may retreat by sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger, yes, there is a FAQ document. I'll message you for your email so I can send it. Blessings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
GA Jim wrote:
Roger, yes, there is a FAQ document. I'll message you for your email so I can send it. Blessings.

There is an FAQ document, but it does not cover this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is implied in the rule that requires a FORTIFIED port to be British-controlled to use retreat by sea. In other words, the British lose their army if they are in a fortified port like Philadelphia, lose a battle, do not control the port, and have no other avenue of retreat.

All other ports can be retreated from by sea regardless of who controls the port. Dave Rubin's answer is perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls