Subject: Gain initiative without general? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If One of my armies are attacked and does not have a general, can I gain the initiative in battle by matching my opponents played card? The rules are silent about attempting to gain initiative when not having a general. I'm assuming that the rules imply, that if I don't have a genera, then I don't have a battle rating to roll equal to or less than. Therefore, we are concluding that I can never gain the initiative after matching my opponents card if I don't have a general in the fight. Is this correct? If so, then there is no way a force without a general can ever win unless he has the same or a greater number of cards in the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vignuzzi
Canada
Burritts Rapids
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a note in the rules around Double Envelopment (where a match automatically allows the defender to gain initiative) that states:

Note that this would be the only way for a force with no General to become the attacker.

So - yes, a force without a general never wins unless they have more cards. About the best they can do is to drag out the fight and reduce the attacker via the battle casualties roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for pointing out the rules reference. That condition should have been in the section about counterattacking! Anyway, thanks for taking the time to give us the clarification. We played it that way because we just could not see creating a rule "from silence" to accommodate a general-less counterattack. Glad the clarification is in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls