Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B-Rom
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone know off hand any tabletop "rpg-esque" or "wargamey" games where a less detailed combat mechanic is applied, particularly one that just says "This number is your general score". So if its higher you do better things, but it can get chipped away and/or combat is more or less if my number is higher than your number I win.

So I'm more or less looking to see how far the mechanic of using War (card game) has been taken and/or applied to more immersive game settings.

Maybe I should be looking into CCG mechanics more than anything? I dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Henry
United States
Canton
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know a rpg like that but I know a miniatures war game like that. Check out "One Page Rules". https://onepagerules.wordpress.com/portfolio/warstuff/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rom
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Windrant wrote:
Well, I don't know a rpg like that but I know a miniatures war game like that. Check out "One Page Rules". https://onepagerules.wordpress.com/portfolio/warstuff/
I will and I've updated my OP accordingly. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Risk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played an RPG like that once, everyone essentially had the same ability to act but rolls were modified by how well you described your actions. The only stat you had was something analagous to hitpoints and once they'd run out you could no longer influence the scene.

The hitpoint thing didn't necessarily describe physical harm though, it could run out as a result of an argument and the result would be that the crowd went along with the person who still had some left.

Sometimes Blackbeard felt that way too. You have several stats but the vast majority of the time the only one that felt like it mattered was "ability" which I guess represented your ability to do things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rom
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
khendrix wrote:
Risk?
Always a solid mechanic in my book. No non-sense simplicity that still leaves one with the sense of conflict.

I will check out Blackbeard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Armstrong
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could check out XDM: Xtreme Dungeon Mastery by Tracy and Curtis Hickman. The game included has a basic version where your character has one Stat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer your question ... but will toss in a useless suggestion from the side - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Futures gives three stats - Body, Mind, and Soul - which keeps things pretty simple!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls