Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever bought a game, didn't like it, and made up a completely different game to play using the same components that was better? How successful were you? Rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried with Killer Bunnies. The game as is is just *awful* (one of my lowest rated games ever). I fiddled with it a bit to make it a bit more M:TG-like. It worked "better", though still not perfectly. I was half-way through re-doing it when I gave up. Haven't been back to it since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of "re-gaming a theme" rather than "re-theming a game" arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We certainly did that with Grand Imperialism. I uploaded our new rules to that page.

I used to play Barbarian Kings all wrong too. Once I learned the actual rules, the gameplay did not seem at all improved...

When I was a kid, I remember my brothers making a Sorcerer variant played on the Diplomacy map which was pretty cool.

(Oh, and we've never played Personal Preference or Monopoly the right way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the Mage Knight rules I was completely appalled at how dull they were, so taught my son that it was a sort of D&D Miniatures where he moved the heroes and made up the scenario and moved the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I tried with Killer Bunnies. The game as is is just *awful* (one of my lowest rated games ever). I fiddled with it a bit to make it a bit more M:TG-like. It worked "better", though still not perfectly. I was half-way through re-doing it when I gave up. Haven't been back to it since.

Hope you wrote up an official review. If not, you should. Channel your disgust into a lesson for other potential purchasers.

As to the topic at hand, no. I have considered it, and planned to attempt it for Illuminati, but have yet to actually hit the drawing board for the revision (for those curious, I plan to fuse NWO plot cards into the Deluxe variant).

While surfing the net earlier I came across a variant of Carcassonne that fused Zombies!!! gameplay elements into the core tile based mechanic (ultimately involved meeples that could get infected, etc), but haven't check to see if it has been posted here already.

*eDit: For those curious, here is the Carcassonne link mentioned above: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/blog/20060128124841

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a teen, I created a game using D&D miniatures and a Scrabble board.

Since then, I have regularly use game components from other games to simulate prototypes I'm creating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this falls under house rules and variants. Most gamers have done it to some small degree at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I tweaked the winning objective in 2 player cheat/bullshit. I wrote a review on it.

And for half/blind xiangqi, I had players place their pieces stratego-style rather than randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that what house rules and variants do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did this with the Dixie CCG. The rules in the rulebook made no sense. As it turned out, most of the troops got routed, so it really WAS like the Battle of Bull Run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Butler
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This thing is BEGGING for someone to make a decent game out of those pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blueharlequin wrote:

This thing is BEGGING for someone to make a decent game out of those pieces.

Are those metal coins??? Wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, actually. I reworked Wettstreit der Baumeister because the base game was a little dated. Mine was more than a variant, but less than an entirely new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the components from "Mighty Empires" and made a whole new game out of it, wrote some quest and improvement cards and now I have a nice medieval and fantasy themed game, wich has to be reworked a little bit to be as playable as I wish, but for now it´s better than the oiginal game.

And this is no variant, because I use completly new rules and I only use the components because they didn´t deserve to be covered with dust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Have you ever bought a game, didn't like it, and made up a completely different game to play using the same components that was better? How successful were you? Rules?

pimp my Zombies!!!!!!!

ah, Zombies!!! incredible bits, lame gameplay. we "re-gamed" it, introducing action points, equipment buying, new melee, new map layout - gave almost any card a new rule.

so did EVERYONE i know with that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-did "Sid Meirer's Civilization the Board Game"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't Sid Sackson do that with a Lotto game to create Acquire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie stripe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah I liked the idea of Zombies but it's pretty dull...I keep thinking it needs something doing to it, but couldn't be bothered working out what/how.

You should write out how you did it and rules! I'd love to try out your version!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in grade school, my best friend bought a copy of Risk at a garage scale for one dollar. When we discovered that the rule book was missing, so he made up his own rules, which we tweaked during our first few games. We eventually got burned out after playing about two dozen games, but it was fun.

Years later, I finally played Risk with somebody who knew the actual rules. It wasn't as much fun. I wish that I had stayed in touch with my old friend, because I couldn't remember all of our rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
Re-did "Sid Meirer's Civilization the Board Game"

Does your version work, because the as-is version doesn't (and I've played v2.0) Great looking game that I'll likely never play again. What a disappointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Braund
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy and I completely re-did Chess during an all-night session in school. We started out with hidden 'mines' and D20 combat between pieces, which lead onto exploding pieces (roll of 1 - which could take out neighbouring pieces) and random events (13 or 17), mostly culled from the Monty Python mythos. Reinforcements would appear. I do have various rules for this, and even came up with a themed series where you played games in succession and each one had slightly different special rules based on the named Episodes from the Monty Python scripts books.

We replaced 'check' with various politically incorrect references, and the game itself was named after a certain exploding lady. Happy days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I once made a game out of used paper towels and a kitty litter box. Had kind of a "burried treasure" theme to it. Does that count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried to 're-game' FGA's "The Eagle and the Sun" wargame numerous times, but have been forced to give up in utter frustration every time. Considering that the game's completely unplayable as written, it's not much of a surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
I once made a game out of used paper towels and a kitty litter box. Had kind of a "burried treasure" theme to it. Does that count?

Hahahaha! laugh meeple gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.