Subject: A simple change in the rules ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronan Baros
Brazil
Para De Minas
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
I thought of a simple change in the rules that have worked well here.

The phases of the player, I converted in stages of the game.
So...
1 - Hero Phase - ALL heroes walk / attack or attack / walk (I'm not allowing walk 2 times)
2 - Phase Exploration - after ALL have finished the hero phase, ALL heroes who stopped in an unexplored edge, take a tile and a monster.
3 - Phase Villain - ALL not explored or exploited a black arrow, take a card encounter. Those who explored together the same edge, take only one card, but both suffer the encounter. Then the monsters attack.

These changes have made my players walk more united which increased the sense of adventure in a dungeon

I am Brazilian ... sorry for my bad english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would give the impression of moving as a team. You could have the encounter card affect only the first player, as an easy option.

Great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the whole team stops at the same unexplored edge? Do they each take a tile? If so, where do the tiles get placed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronan Baros
Brazil
Para De Minas
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
juster2 wrote:
That would give the impression of moving as a team. You could have the encounter card affect only the first player, as an easy option.

Great idea!

yes ... it would be possible ... but ...
the fact is that I'm trying not to unbalance the game too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronan Baros
Brazil
Para De Minas
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
Mizerak wrote:
What if the whole team stops at the same unexplored edge? Do they each take a tile? If so, where do the tiles get placed?

take only one tile and only one card encounter, but, the effect of the card is suffered by all that was in exploration
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronan Barros wrote:
Mizerak wrote:

take only one tile and only card encounter, but, the effect of the card is suffered by all that was in exploration

So if the whole team explores a tile from the same unexplored edge, and the new tile has a white arrow, then the turn ends without an encounter and only one monster comes out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronan Baros
Brazil
Para De Minas
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
Mizerak wrote:

So if the whole team explores a tile from the same unexplored edge, and the new tile has a white arrow, then the turn ends without an encounter and only one monster comes out?

exactly.
The game follows the same rules. Only changed the way they appear. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronan Barros wrote:
Mizerak wrote:

exactly.
The game follows the same rules. Only changed the way they appear. lol

Not really. Say you are playing three characters (A,B,C). Using the rules, A goes to an unexplored edge, and explores a tile with a white arrow. A monster appears. Then B goes to stand beside A on what is now NOT an unexplored edge. B has to draw an encounter. C then stands beside A and B at the edge of A's tile. C also has to draw an encounter.

With your rules: A,B, and C end up in the same places, but no encounters are taken because they are all standing at an unexplored edge at the time the exploration happens. Is that what you intended? Or am I understanding it incorrectly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronan Baros
Brazil
Para De Minas
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
Mizerak wrote:

With your rules: A,B, and C end up in the same places, but no encounters are taken because they are all standing at an unexplored edge at the time the exploration happens. Is that what you intended? Or am I understanding it incorrectly?

Yes ... so people play together.
Of course it's different from the original ... (and so this in variants)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:
With your rules: A,B, and C end up in the same places, but no encounters are taken because they are all standing at an unexplored edge at the time the exploration happens.
I would say that EVERYONE needs to do one of two things: either Explore, OR take an encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:
With your rules: A,B, and C end up in the same places, but no encounters are taken because they are all standing at an unexplored edge at the time the exploration happens.

We allow this, but the monster may reroll 1 die when attacking any explorer other than the first. The monster attacks each explorer first.

This gives you a fighting monsters to avoid encounter cards strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronan Baros
Brazil
Para De Minas
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
and if at some point suffer less encounters, in others we suffer more.

example ...
The official rule, 3 tiles on the stack, two white and one black, could be exploited by 3 players and only one would suffer the encounter.

In my new rule ... if all explore together ... all suffer the encounter when they found the black tile.

So... this variant does not unbalance the game so much. And the hero phase acquired great discussions of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you say "only one would suffer the encounter", I am a bit baffled. There are many encounter cards which affect all the heroes (eg. environmental events) or at least all the heroes on the active hero's tile (eg. traps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronan Baros
Brazil
Para De Minas
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
FlyingGoblin wrote:
When you say "only one would suffer the encounter", I am a bit baffled. There are many encounter cards which affect all the heroes (eg. environmental events) or at least all the heroes on the active hero's tile (eg. traps).

Yes I know...
and it makes the players try to stay away from each other in the official rule.
this is what we are changing in this new way of conducting the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a nice idea.
try use this house rule I'm testing here: only draw an encounter card when you end your turn in a black triangle tile. this make some decisions on where you step/move. with TooE this makes some great situations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Landisville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronan Barros wrote:
I thought of a simple change in the rules that have worked well here.

The phases of the player, I converted in stages of the game.
So...
1 - Hero Phase - ALL heroes walk / attack or attack / walk (I'm not allowing walk 2 times)
2 - Phase Exploration - after ALL have finished the hero phase, ALL heroes who stopped in an unexplored edge, take a tile and a monster.
3 - Phase Villain - ALL not explored or exploited a black arrow, take a card encounter. Those who explored together the same edge, take only one card, but both suffer the encounter. Then the monsters attack.

These changes have made my players walk more united which increased the sense of adventure in a dungeon

I am Brazilian ... sorry for my bad english

Your English is just fine and way better than my Portuguese or Spanish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.