Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found myself some times with more cards in hand than the limit during the turn or at the end of the turn. For example, supposing a hand limit of 6:

(a) I get 6 wounds in combat and I also have 2 remaining cards in hand
(b) Same as (a), but I use the Holy Grail's ultimate ability, healing 6 wounds and drawing 6 cards.

Does anything special occur, apart from not drawing any more cards at the end of my turn? After searching the rules, it seems "no".

A side question: the first thing at the end of the turn is rolling the mana die and placing it back to the source. Therefore, I can use this information to decide if I'll discard any more cards from my hand or not, correct? This is especially important for solo scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Does anything special occur, apart from not drawing any more cards at the end of my turn?
No. (There's no "discard down to your hand size" step.) If you're in a village, an easy way to end up with more cards than your hand limit is to plunder (drawing 2 cards) and then play 1 card during your turn. You can repeat this multiple times, if given the chance.

Quote:
A side question: the first thing at the end of the turn is rolling the mana die and placing it back to the source. Therefore, I can use this information to decide if I'll discard any more cards from my hand or not, correct?
Yes. Discarding cards you don't want is step 7(a) of the End of Turn sequence. So anything you learn in steps 1-6 can influence that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, if you get 6 wounds on combat and your unmodified hand limit is 6 (or less), you're knock out and you have to discard your remaining (non-wound) cards.

Secondly, if you have more cards than your (modified) hand limit, nothing happens. At the end of turn, you don't draw any card, though.

Picon wrote:
A side question: the first thing at the end of the turn is rolling the mana die and placing it back to the source. Therefore, I can use this information to decide if I'll discard any more cards from my hand or not, correct? This is especially important for solo scenarios.
This is correct. I also find it vital for deciding the rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syzygia wrote:
First of all, if you get 6 wounds on combat and your unmodified hand limit is 6 (or less), you're knock out and you have to discard your remaining (non-wound) cards.
Cool, thanks, I totally missed that. Now I recall that rule, found it under "Assign Damage Phase". So, say, if my unmodified hand limit is 6, I had 2 wounds before the battle and I receive 5 during combat, there's no knock out, right? Of course you end up with 7 wounds eventually, but might not matter if you have the Holy Grail in hand or you've won the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
So, say, if my unmodified hand limit is 6, I had 2 wounds before the battle and I receive 5 during combat, there's no knock out, right? Of course you end up with 7 wounds eventually, but might not matter if you have the Holy Grail in hand or you've won the scenario.
Yes, that's correct. You could also gain some wounds before the combat (for instance, with Blood ritual, or due to Mana Exploit) and they don't count for the KO.

Also notice that if you get KOed you continue the combat. You may win the combat with your units and your skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Limit" is basically the worst possible word to use for that stat.

I mean I guess like "dolphin" would have been worse. But "limit" is nearly the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the rulebook does say

7(c). If you have more cards in your hand than your current Hand limit, you do not have to discard down to your Hand limit (but you draw no new cards).

So it's about as explicit as you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

7(c). If you have more cards in your hand than your current Hand limit, you do not have to discard down to your Hand limit (but you draw no new cards).

grasa_total wasn't complaining about the ambiguity of the rules, but about the misleading usage of the word "limit". I do agree with him: the rules aren't ambiguous, but the word "limit" suggests that the number is a limitation. It is misleading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syzygia wrote:
grasa_total wasn't complaining about the ambiguity of the rules, but about the misleading usage of the word "limit". I do agree with him: the rules aren't ambiguous, but the word "limit" suggests that the number is a limitation. It is misleading.
I didn't say anything about grasa_total and I don't see how what he was or wasn't complaining about has anything to do with my posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I thought you were answering him. The rule that you cited doesn't answer the OP question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
"Limit" is basically the worst possible word to use for that stat.

I mean I guess like "dolphin" would have been worse. But "limit" is nearly the worst.
Limit makes sense once you realise it's the lower limit, not the upper limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

{7(c). If you have more cards in your hand than your current Hand limit, you do not have to discard down to your Hand limit (but you draw no new cards).}

Thanks, it partially answers the question, as well. It's so difficult to locate something in an image-only rulebook, where "search" does not work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The PDF download from the Wizkids website is searchable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls