Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What game will be more enjoyable for an adult and 2 teens?

Poll
What Game Should I buy?
Twilight Imperium
Forbidden Stars
      31 answers
Poll created by simpsonps121

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on how long you want the game to go. Forbidden stars is shorter but a really good game, lots of fun. Twilight Imperium 3 is a great game ton of fun for 5 to 8 hours. Probably longer at first untill you get a handle on all the rules. Both great choices depending on what your wanting. Some others to consider are,, Exodus Proxima Cintari , Xia legend of the drift systems. But my favorite is TI3. What ever you get hope you will a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll likely enjoy FS more, just because it's about 4 hours shorter.

Depends on how many players you have (your post seems to indicate 3). FS is better at a low play count, while TI works best at higher player counts (~6)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 has length but Forbidden Stars will run into downtime more. At least when I played TI3 with the expansions it felt like we were moving at a decent pace. Forbidden Stars has more elaborate combat so when you aren't part of it, it becomes easier to disconnect from what is happening. Looking at the numbers for player count, 3-player will be better with Forbidden Stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played FS; so this is tangential, rather than answering your question. But I have played 3p TI3 on several occasions; and it worked very nicely at that count - particularly if one goes with the Age of Empire optional rule (it helps to focus the players on the possible VP sources) - in 2.5 to 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I enjoy FS more even though TI3 is the better game.

FS fight fight fight from turn 1, while TI3 can get into the "ok just 1 more turn of building up"

In FS you have to fight everyone, if you aren't doingg it... you are playing it wrong. You have to constantly be defending the objectives of 3 other players and be looking to fight your way to one of yours.

You have to keep an eye on everyone, which can be a little stressful. Most action you make you have to think... if you hit here... would that weaken him too much so he can't defend from the other player.

That makes the game quite stressful at times with the usual outcry from players.

Forbidden really has downtime when combat occurs by the other players.
You should put timer on making decisions to make it faster after a few games. (I have been doing this on a lot of games lately)

Mostly it depends on the number of players. FS goes only to 4. But that is not really a bad thing. TI3 is great 5+ I think because with the less then 5 rules.. you get double actions and such which ruin the dynamic of the game for me.

A game of FS can easily run to 4 hours with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TI 3: After about 2 games the gametime goes down to 60-70mins per player so FS isn't that much shorter... (we need 5h with 4 players - complete with set-up, different topics of table talk and packing the game back together)
...but you need min. 3 players.

So if one of your teens isn't willing to play the game is done. Therefor I would recommend FS.

[EDIT: Only in the first game(s) or with higher player counts the Play time will will reach 5-8 hours. Don't be afraid of post that say otherwise. You will grow into the game.
But like I said with 2-3 players FS will be better.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TI is IMHO a better game but playable 4+. For 3, FS plays better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.