Subject: Knocking down a monster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blaine French

Temple
Texas
msg tools
mbmb
So I've encountered this a few times and my search fu is weak.

I've been luck enough to hit the white lion and crit on a hit location that causes him to be knocked down. From what I've read when the monster is knocked down it stands up the next time it draws an AI card or at the start of the next monster phase. Does this mean it will get to stand up and still pull an AI card? That's how we've been doing it, but just wanted to make sure I was doing it right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, all it does is give you an opportunity to hit it more easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just for drawing AI and start of monster turn, but it also stands up at the start of the survivors' turn (if knocked down during its own turn), as well as when HL traps go off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
pg. 73:

A knocked own monster stands up at the start of the next turn (monster or survivor)

- While a monster is knocked down, attack rolls hit on 3+ in place of normal accuracy

- While a monster is knocked down, all reactions are canceled.

- A knocked down monster stands when a trap is played and plays out its rules.

- If the monster is knocked down during a flow, cancel any remaining actions on the card.

- Unless otherwise stated on the AI card, any moods or traits currently in play will affect survivors even if the monster is knocked down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carlson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have nothing to add except that it is very sad when this happens on the fourth survivor's action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
tehnoodnub wrote:
I have nothing to add except that it is very sad when this happens on the fourth survivor's action.
I've had this very thing happen twice now. The first time I had surge unlocked, but not dash, so only two people were able to take advantage of it.

The second time though, last night, was a prologue fight, so no such luck. Just watched a lion faceplant and get up again immediately, pretending it never happened. Which I've seen my wife's cat do before, actually. Hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tehnoodnub wrote:
IMHO the worst is when you get it first activation and you're raring to go, and immediately draw the trap. Had that happen several times, now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I have a question on monster knockdowns because of a situation that happened last night: what is the facing of a monster when it stands back up?

My survivors found themselves behind and to the flank of a lion that was then knocked down. When the lion stood up the AI card drawn (forgive me I don't remember the name or details of the specific action) the lion basically acted on survivors it could see, else sniff. I ended up knocking it down again, and it stood up again to ANOTHER AI card that was an in LOS, else sniff. So I spent two full turns whalloping the lion because it never turned around.

NOTE: Pretty sure the card didn't say threat, so sniff would have triggered the second card, I'm pretty sure it said survivor/target in LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume the monster stands facing the same direction it had previously. But facing in general isn't really detailed in the rulebook other than that bit about "field of view" and "always facing its target".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
biggdork wrote:
Hey I have a question on monster knockdowns because of a situation that happened last night: what is the facing of a monster when it stands back up?

My survivors found themselves behind and to the flank of a lion that was then knocked down. When the lion stood up the AI card drawn (forgive me I don't remember the name or details of the specific action) the lion basically acted on survivors it could see, else sniff. I ended up knocking it down again, and it stood up again to ANOTHER AI card that was an in LOS, else sniff. So I spent two full turns whalloping the lion because it never turned around.

NOTE: Pretty sure the card didn't say threat, so sniff would have triggered the second card, I'm pretty sure it said survivor/target in LOS.
If nothing says to change facing, then the facing would remain the same as it was before the knockdown. Be sure to keep the facing when you turn the monster on the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
biggdork wrote:

If you had survivors on the monsters side then it would have targeted them. The only spaces not in LOS of the monster are the 2 spaces directly behind him. Even a survivor 2 spaces away, behind the monster, are in LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls