Joe Graham
msg tools
designer
Microbadge: SwashbucklerMicrobadge: Minnesota Vikings fanMicrobadge: I love TaiwanMicrobadge: Axis & Allies fanMicrobadge: Star Realms fan
I am just a guy, a teacher, living in Taiwan teaching English as a foreign language. My degree is in teaching and I am from a very blue collar background. I have always liked games, but honestly I have not played many different games. My favorite game growing up was “Axis and Allies” and yes I played against myself more than I played against real people (Not a ton of people wanted to spend three hours of their lives learning how to get beat with plastic soldiers).

Last year I was teaching an after school class of junior high students once a week. The kids were nice, but they could never seem to be bothered to do their homework or to do any studying for their quizzes. I tried to bribe them with candy and threaten with bad scores, but I was not happening.

At that time in my limited spare time I was playing a game on my iPad. In the game, which was addicting, you had characters that could be made stronger the more you played and the better you were at fighting. It hit me that I could use the idea of character improvement to improve my students desire to accomplish tasks.

I set about making character before even thinking about how the characters would be used. It was when I got to the special abilities I noticed that I had no idea what the characters would do with strength or defense or any of the other things I was trying to give them.

I needed a contest, a reason and a mechanic for the characters to battle. I hit upon the idea of making a deck-building type game that is character centered. And that is how my game was born.

I am still a long way from being finished. Real artwork, marketing and manufacturing and all things that are still pending, but my prototype game with my silly little drawings has helped to motivate my students to work harder in the class and that was my original goal. (Although I think the main reason they like playing is because it kills class time).

You never know when an idea will hit so just keep your eyes open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Thread Necromancer... I revive dead threads.Microbadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: Kickstarter fanMicrobadge: Tokyo/Osaka Game Market attendeeMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantly
Welcome to the world of game creators
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Graham
msg tools
designer
Microbadge: SwashbucklerMicrobadge: Minnesota Vikings fanMicrobadge: I love TaiwanMicrobadge: Axis & Allies fanMicrobadge: Star Realms fan
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. It's amazing how many ideas come out of sheer teaching desperation !!!!Good for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Look Out Ideas Might Hit You *B*ASSawkward
What to NAME "name" for this then, now? "Are YOU *outsmarted* by a '5th Grader'?" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Graham
msg tools
designer
gobaith wrote:
Cool. It's amazing how many ideas come out of sheer teaching desperation !!!!Good for you.
True, students will keep you on the look out for good ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls