Popular Tags: [View All]
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook clearly says when you have more than 7 cards you discard down to 7 or use cards until you are down to 7.

My question is when?

Until tonight I was always under the impression that discarding was kind of a final action you done at the end of your turn. However some
of my buddies suggested that you discard down at any time you find your self with 7 or more cards. Honestly the only thing that contradicts that notion is that the rules also talk about drawing cards in the same area about discarding. It is also clear that discarding is not mentioned in the phases of a turn specifically.

So... when do you discard? At the end of your turn or at any time you find your hand to be over 7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You discard immediately, but you can play cards instead of discard (i.e. Special Event cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Graves
Canada
Cloverdale
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that you discard anytime you have more cards in your hand exceeding your card limit. So if you have an action that gives you cards that exceed the limit, your next action is to discard down to your hand limit. Right away. Before anything else is done.

[Edit}: yes, should have mentioned that if you can play special event cards, then that is allowed to get you down to your hand limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
Microbadge: Rubber Ducky
mfaulk80 wrote:
You discard immediately, but you can play cards instead of discard (i.e. Special Event cards).
Once a disease has mutated so that it can be cured without taking an action, it would make sense if that, too, could be done between receiving a card and discarding down to the hand-size limit.

Unfortunately, I can't see that stated explicitly anywhere, so I guess not? /-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Once a disease has mutated so that it can be cured without taking an action, it would make sense if that, too, could be done between receiving a card and discarding down to the hand-size limit.

It's not stated explicitly either way, so I don't think we can make a definitive conclusion. We played that you can go ahead and cure. I didn't mention that in my comment above because I knew it was a bit of a gray area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
mfaulk80 wrote:
clivej wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

It's not stated explicitly either way, so I don't think we can make a definitive conclusion. We played that you can go ahead and cure. I didn't mention that in my comment above because I knew it was a bit of a gray area.
Good question.
The rules do not make a provision for curing (even out of turn) to get to your hand limit. You can either discard cards or play an Event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:

Good question.
The rules do not make a provision for curing (even out of turn) to get to your hand limit. You can either discard cards or play an Event cards.
So is this to be considered official? You must discard or play eveny cards before using a free action to cure.

[I work in the legal field. The lawyers do this to me all the time.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
croloris wrote:
mleacock wrote:

Good question.
So is this to be considered official? You must discard or play eveny cards before using a free action to cure.

Curing is still an action even if some mutation makes it a free action so you could only do it during your action phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:
croloris wrote:
mleacock wrote:

Good question.

Curing is still an action even if some mutation makes it a free action so you could only do it during your action phase.
That isn't actually correct: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/20622329#20622329
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Miller
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
on the turn reminder printed on the board it says to discard down to 7 before the infection phase, so that's when we always do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sith_Mafia wrote:
on the turn reminder printed on the board it says to discard down to 7 before the infection phase, so that's when we always do it.
That is exactly what originated my post.
It appears by that board reminder and that the part about hand size says 'after resolving any epidemic cards'.

Since drawing cards is part of an individual turn, and epidemic cards are part of that draw, it seems logical to me that discarding happens as an individual act after resolving epidemic cards. In fact I am so convinced it is intended that way that I am having a really tough time seeing it as an act everyone has to do at the end of each players turn.

Maybe someone can explain it to me? I'm not trying to be a troll I seriously am confused on how anyone derives this as an act all players do every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
Microbadge: Rubber Ducky
twthomas wrote:
That is exactly what originated my post.
It appears by that board reminder and that the part about hand size says 'after resolving any epidemic cards'.
You're confused because you're paraphrasing rather than going by what is actually said:

The rules wrote:
HAND LIMIT

If you ever have more than 7 cards in hand (after first resolving any Epidemic cards you may have drawn), discard cards or play Event cards until you have 7 cards in hand (see Event Cards).
If you ever - at any time, in any circumstances - have more than 7 cards. Not after the infection phase, not at the end of any player's turn, ever.

The only exception is the one given in parentheses: if you've drawn an Epidemic card, you first resolve that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sheppard
Australia
East Burwood
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules wrote:
HAND LIMIT

If you ever have more than 7 cards in hand (after first resolving any Epidemic cards you may have drawn), discard cards or play Event cards until you have 7 cards in hand (see Event Cards).
But the rules on the Discover a cure action read:

The rules wrote:
If no action is required to Discover a Cure (due to positive
mutations) then a player may discard the needed cards
from their hand immediately, even if it isn't their turn.
That rule seems to take precedence because it says "Immediately", and also all that is required to cure a disease is to 'discard the needed cards', which doesn't conflict with the 'you must discard' requirement of the hand limit.

I'll err on the side of doing the discarding first because that seems to be Matt's intention, but the rules as written suggest otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danshep wrote:
The rules wrote:
HAND LIMIT

But the rules on the Discover a cure action read:

The rules wrote:
If no action is required to Discover a Cure (due to positive
mutations) then a player may discard the needed cards
from their hand immediately, even if it isn't their turn.
That rule seems to take precedence because it says "Immediately", and also all that is required to cure a disease is to 'discard the needed cards', which doesn't conflict with the 'you must discard' requirement of the hand limit.

I'll err on the side of doing the discarding first because that seems to be Matt's intention, but the rules as written suggest otherwise.
There's a meta-rule in play here - one of those unwritten rules that arguably should be in the rulebook - that once a card is revealed or played, it has to resolve fully before you can do anything else - exceptions include Resilient Population which has an explicit exception on the card; and drawing two Epidemics at the end of your turn, when you can play Events between them.

The hand-limit discard is part of gaining the card(s) so can't be interrupted (except that there's an explicit option to play Event cards at that point).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls