Subject: Examples of good modular maps? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Currently I'm doing something that involves an Arena with multiple gladiators and I want to introduce some randomness to the game via different map every time. For the past few days I have been trying to think of way to make it work but I haven't come up with something that I feels suits what I have thus far, even from a concept standpoint.

Guess what I'm asking is what are some GOOD examples of modular/arena maps you have come across and why are they good?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Not arena per se, but combat related.... See Gears of War: The Board Game

Nice system of tile configuration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
...from a concept standpoint.

.... what are some GOOD examples of modular/arena maps you have come across and why are they good?

Thanks in advance.
Tried and True: Hexagons and Meg-Hexes:
different terrain types randomly drawn, and or arranged in differing configurations.

Main Benefits:
Ease of production, familiarity, variable terrain/effect (2-sided)
Range is easily calculable: (see Melee / Wizard {below} for "megahex"}

Examples:
Magic Realm

Melee / Wizard

stretching a bit (to emphasize the "modular" aspect)
Babylon 5 Component Game System: Core Sets

Heck, even Catan works: It's all a matter of scale!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends a lot on the attributes you want out of your board. When working on Wizard's Academy we got plenty out of a 4x4 grid of square tiles with a portion not connecting to adjacent tiles on all sides. This was good for us because we wanted an emphasis on swapping and rotating tiles and wanted one step to be a significant action - completely changing what'd happen to you, altering your options for actions and worth giving up a different type of action for (in the right cirumstanecs). We wouldn't have got anything more out of hexes because you rarely need to worry about a range of more than "This room" and "Next door" and the rotation style powers would've had too much impact if they offered five choices rather than three.

I suspect that approach would be a disaster for most gladatorial combat games I've played though.

What considerations do you have? Is it necessary to have starting spots that need to be equal in some way? What sort of scale are movement and ranges operating on? Are there terrain features that might cross more than one tile? How do you want to encourage players to use the space?

Be aware of how form impacts function. For instance if you're moving in a straight line and wish to avoid a space (for whatever reason) it'll take one extra move to do it and get back on to your original course on a hex grid, but it'll take three extra moves on a square one. How do you want your obstacles to function? How does this compare to the scale of movement?

Essentially you need to decide what you want out of your modular terrain before you can decide upon the best way to make it modular
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arhan Bakan
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
CE PBF 70
badge
Favourite Cartoon Character!
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fan - Colony for a Colony?Microbadge: Video Game Programmer
Quantum's grid maps are also cool as you can slide them to get different shapes each time. All grids are 3x3 but I guess multiple configurations could be used aswell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Goblin Slayer:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barony has an interesting hex style moduler board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
That looks exactly what I'm looking for. The game I've had in mind would scale between 2 to 6 players. I can already picture bigger arenas and set-ups depending on the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, here is further research

Feedback on Hex Tiles

edit