Subject: Already seeing potential ideas for expansions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Atkins
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Indiana UniversityMicrobadge: Manchester United fan
The pieces in the box look great, but I can already see at least 2 ideas for expansions:

1. Additional Alliance and Imperial pieces: B-wings, A-wings, TIE-Interceptors, TIE-Bombers

2. Clone Wars: this would be a big expansion but play on the same gameboard and with the same rules/expansions. Obviously would need a bunch of new pieces and probably new cards, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Silver Crafter: I have crafted 10 PnP gamesMicrobadge: Columbus Crew fanMicrobadge: Ohio State UniversityMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fan
Maybe a Thrawn campaign expansion with a board addition for the Unknown Regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Transformers fanMicrobadge: Kurt Vonnegut fanMicrobadge: Genesys RPG fan
dawson_osu wrote:
Maybe a Thrawn campaign expansion with a board addition for the Unknown Regions.
I was ready to dismiss this, but then got thinking...

Disney relegated all of the EU to Legends status, more or less signaling that they don't care too much about that continuity. However, they're still making it available, showing they don't want to junk it. Letting FFG release games in that canon might be viable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Silver Crafter: I have crafted 10 PnP gamesMicrobadge: Columbus Crew fanMicrobadge: Ohio State UniversityMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fan
And FFG already sets games in Legends, like their LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Compassion International supporterMicrobadge: X-Com fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift SystemMicrobadge: Legends of Andor fan
I love the clone wars idea!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Armada fanMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
Hehe, adding scum and the Hutts brings this even closer to mimicking the Original Trilogy Risk version of the same conflict.

I hate saying scum is the next logical step, but from back here and far away it looks like the next most logical add on for new content. But I can also see new characters and new ship types coming as a kind of content add-on (Assault frigates and Victory Star Destroyers with different kinds of fighters, maybe some gun turrets for the Empire as well and so on).

Another half of the map is another obvious direction. Everything radiates out from Courusant, but it's only half of a circle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Spider-Man fanMicrobadge: Legendary fan - The Avengers TeamMicrobadge: Legendary: Fantastic FourMicrobadge: Captain Marvel fanMicrobadge: George Lucas fan
Scum and Villainy seems like the logical next step, but put me down for Clone Wars. That would require an entirely new set of minis and cards, however, so it may be a little ambitious for an expansion.

I'm not sure I want to see an expansion, though. I already have an expandable game system in IA, and sometimes I just want a done-in-one that I don't feel like I have to keep supporting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Addlestone
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: In space no one can hear you scream.Microbadge: Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps! fanMicrobadge: It's like, 'how much more black could this be?' and the answer is 'None. None more black.'Microbadge: "I can't shake him!"
Baerenkeks wrote:

And the "smuggler and headhunter and Jabba" - Expansion :)
I was thinking this too - they've got previous form in X-Wing, and so far I don't see a Boba Fett or Han Solo card (though this is purely off the back of a single preview!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin00bie wrote:
Baerenkeks wrote:

And the "smuggler and headhunter and Jabba" - Expansion
I was thinking this too - they've got previous form in X-Wing, and so far I don't see a Boba Fett or Han Solo card (though this is purely off the back of a single preview!)
There is also no Millenium Falcon miniature that I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sassy Cat
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Slavoj ŽižekMicrobadge: Roses are red...
Shin00bie wrote:
Baerenkeks wrote:

And the "smuggler and headhunter and Jabba" - Expansion
Both Boba Fett and Han Solo were shown on the showcase page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Addlestone
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: In space no one can hear you scream.Microbadge: Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps! fanMicrobadge: It's like, 'how much more black could this be?' and the answer is 'None. None more black.'Microbadge: "I can't shake him!"
Sassycat wrote:
Shin00bie wrote:
Baerenkeks wrote:

And the "smuggler and headhunter and Jabba" - Expansion :)
Both Boba Fett and Han Solo were shown on the showcase page.
Ah, I stand corrected!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Armada fanMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
Shifting to the clone wars feels like an entirely different game. You couldn't use any of the pieces here in the Galactic civil war... only the board and core rules would be re-used. So I'm not thinking the Clone Wars is likely.

Plus FFG has a trend in their star wars games of avoiding the Clone Wars as a focus. So it also goes against the trend.

Episode VII may or may not be a thing depending on how much new technology is used, because it might run into the same problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boombastix
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
They playin'
badge
Microbadge: The Battle of Five Armies fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
I'd buy a Jar Jar Binks expansion now. But lets face it, he's too powerful and would unbalance the game. (It's true! https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cdatkins wrote:

1. Additional Alliance and Imperial pieces: B-wings, A-wings, TIE-Interceptors, TIE-Bombers
And where are the Nebulon-Bs, please?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mystery Science Theater 3000 fanMicrobadge: Mystery Science Theater 3000 fanMicrobadge: "Albert Glasser. The man who holds you down and pummels you with music." Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: "Apparently sarcasm hasn't hit the Old West yet."
X-Wing kinda lumps Black Sun in with the rest of "scum & villainy," but they might make a cool expansion faction too. They were mentioned in The Clone Wars, they're canon too!

Although a Clone Wars expansion would kick butt. There's so much juicy content, new ships, lobbying the Senate for purchasing more clones from Kamino, and manufacturing more battle droids at Geonosis, strategic placement of Jedi generals...

Maybe even mechanics for the crumbling of the Jedi Order, Order 66, transitioning the Republic to the Empire, and the start of the Rebellion. Might make for a long game, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Spider-Man fanMicrobadge: Legendary fan - The Avengers TeamMicrobadge: Legendary: Fantastic FourMicrobadge: Captain Marvel fanMicrobadge: George Lucas fan
swankidelic wrote:
X-Wing kinda lumps Black Sun in with the rest of "scum & villainy," but they might make a cool expansion faction too. They were mentioned in The Clone Wars, they're canon too!

Although a Clone Wars expansion would kick butt. There's so much juicy content, new ships, lobbying the Senate for purchasing more clones from Kamino, and manufacturing more battle droids at Geonosis, strategic placement of Jedi generals...

Maybe even mechanics for the crumbling of the Jedi Order, Order 66, transitioning the Republic to the Empire, and the start of the Rebellion. Might make for a long game, though...
Yeah, I'd love to see Clone Wars too. But FFG is apparently extremely resistant to any material that comes from the first three episodes of the Star Wars Saga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
I could see an expansion that includes another board that makes it a bigger universe to play in. Additional units (tie bomber, a-wing, wookiee soldiers, etc). And a third faction with a different playstyle/goal. Scum and Villainy that can coexist on other planets and suck resources away from factions.

I could also see them re-releasing the entire game as a separate game after the new trilogy completes. It could utilize new units, vary the rules a bit, swap the dominate side, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: GameChat League - Long Division Microbadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
Another direction this could go might mirror what they did with War of the Ring.

There could be a heroes expansion, bringing in new leaders/personas, and cards that add flavor abilities to them. Perhaps even new dice, think Lords of Middle Earth.

Another could be bringing in new factions: the jedi, slavers, wookies etc. Kind of like they did with Battles of the Third Age and what they are going to do with Warriors of Middle Earth.

This wouldn't require a change to the actual board layout or core rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Transformers fanMicrobadge: Kurt Vonnegut fanMicrobadge: Genesys RPG fan
Xookliba wrote:

There could be a heroes expansion, bringing in new leaders/personas, and cards that add flavor abilities to them. Perhaps even new dice, think Lords of Middle Earth.
This would be my prediction. Different combos of characters at different points in the timeline to simulate different game experiences, with different setups, etc... so as to not change the core of the game, but make for a more varied experience.

Quote:

Another could be bringing in new factions: the jedi, slavers, wookies etc. Kind of like they did with Battles of the Third Age and what they are going to do with Warriors of Middle Earth.
I can't see a whole other faction. To do that, you'd have to change the core of the game to 3+ players (with a new faction), or allow a faction to swap out, which just wouldn't work.

Maybe new forces to work within a faction, but not a new faction. (This might be what you're saying; I'm not up to date on WoME).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: GameChat League - Long Division Microbadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
In WotR, the factions fall under the control of one of the two players. So it would be adding a faction, ie new figs and perhaps some cards, to either the Rebellion and/or Empire player (as you guessed at the end).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Microbadge: Premier League fanMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"Microbadge: UEFA Champions League fanMicrobadge: Liverpool fanMicrobadge: Los Angeles Dodgers fan
If this is supposed to be a strategic game, there's no need for different starfighter models, as each figure should be representing entire organizations of ships which are rarely homogeneous.

But that won's stop FFG from churning out expansions for the fanboys/girls to slurp up on a regular basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dirrim
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game Collector
There may be expansions to the minis, but additional unit types would change the reference sheets as well. New Leaders and new mission cards, new tactic cards and that sort of thing might be more plausible. However, getting that to sell when MSRP = 100 for the base game already seems implausible. Minis sell a lot better than "extra cards."

I know I'm going to be buying extra dice if FFG offers them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls