Subject: Focus/Surge Game Mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fantasy flight games uses a cool mechanic in some of their miniatures games (X-wing, Descent, Imperial Assault) where if you roll a surge or focus with their custom dice you can activate extra abilities. I'm trying to compile other examples of this mechanic for some research I am doing, and I wanted to start by asking the forum.

This mechanic is not dissimilar to what some RPG games do with critical hits, but FF Games seems to have made it a simple and central part of the gameplay. I'm curious to know what others have seen out there like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo God
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at it as an instance of "spend a special resource to get an extra/stronger effect", you can probably find tons of examples.

If you look at it as "a special effect triggers only if you roll a special symbol", then you've basically limited yourself to looking only at games with custom dice, which will make it much harder to find examples...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand what you mean, Galaxy Defenders uses a similar deal . . . a few of the "hit" icons on their dice will also have "bolt" icons, which activate extra abilities. These can be used when attacking or defending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game uses this with the crystals. You can do the basic action or using a crystal do a special "Surge" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.