20 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: New to STAW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff D
Australia
flag msg tools
Just bought the starter set on Sunday. Have read the rules and started a two player game with my 8yo boy - had to pause the game as it was his bed time. I am using the Enterprise and he the Maht'ta. Just wondering, it seems to me that the game will go on for a very long time - I have to score four hits and he not defend a single one in order for me to cause damage since he has 3 shields and I an attack rating of four. For the Maht'ta's part the situation is similar.

Am I missing something? We've played a few rounds and no damage to either ship. Am I getting the damage rules wrong? I need to hit the Maht'Ta four times to cause damage? With his actions etc, that seems unlikely.

Also, what to get next? Was thinking the starter klingon and federation sets. Any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first hits you get will get rid of his shields, and then, once the shields are gone, the damage will go the hull. I hope that makes sense....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a ship takes a hit to the shields, the shield token is discarded and doesn't come back.

There are things that disable a shield (turn it from the blue to the red side), disabled shields come back at the end of the turn (as long as you aren't cloaked).

That should speed your games up considerably.
Stick with it, the game's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff D
Australia
flag msg tools
I see. I think I just didn't read the rules properly - I found where it says that in the rules. That makes sense.

I will definitely stick with the game! I've loved ST for a long time and while the quality of the models is not superb, I enjoy not having to assemble and paint miniatures - if anyone wants to paint my 60 or so WW2 Soviets they're welcome . It's quite cheap to play especially compared to Warhammer Fantasy which I got out of in the nick of time devil

I'd like to stick with the TNG, DS9 ish timeline. What ships (Klingon, Federation) do people recommend I get next? Not really interested in competitive play. I mean play to win but not at the expense of fun and fluff.

Might even get some Romulans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pooman wrote:
Just bought the starter set on Sunday. Have read the rules and started a two player game with my 8yo boy - had to pause the game as it was his bed time. I am using the Enterprise and he the Maht'ta. Just wondering, it seems to me that the game will go on for a very long time - I have to score four hits and he not defend a single one in order for me to cause damage since he has 3 shields and I an attack rating of four. For the Maht'ta's part the situation is similar.

Am I missing something? We've played a few rounds and no damage to either ship. Am I getting the damage rules wrong? I need to hit the Maht'Ta four times to cause damage? With his actions etc, that seems unlikely.

Also, what to get next? Was thinking the starter klingon and federation sets. Any good?

It sounds like you were misplaying attack and defense. The green number (Agility/defense) on a ship card is the number of dice you roll for defense, not the blue number (shields).

So in each instance you're rolling 4 dice on attack and your son is rolling 1 dice on defense (or 5 if cloaked).

Leaving aside cloaking, that means your son can only evade 1 dice at most each round. Similarly for you when you are being attacked your son rolls 5 attack dice and you roll 1.

The blue number (shields) and the yellow number are your hit points.

As for cloak. Cloaking the Mah'ta will give your son an extra 4 defense dice to roll. But! His shields are down and any hits will go directly to the Maht'a's hull (meaning that while you are cloaked his ship effectively has only 5 hitpoints).

A couple rounds of playing and you'll find there quickly becomes a point where your son will no longer be able to cloak or at a point where it will be better for him to remain uncloaked to at least have the shield hitpoints back up. At the point, again, he only has 1 defense die to your 4 attack die.

From your original post it sounded like you were rolling attack dice vs. shield values not vs. agility values. If I'm mistaken, forget what I said .

In any case when I first played the starter with my brother, the biggest problem I found was the overwhelming advantage the Federation has with Picard as a captain- he's always firing first and he's always getting 2 actions (when not auxed). And given the inherent advantage of attack dice over defense dice cloaking is often less effective than one might hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff D
Australia
flag msg tools
I have it now. I misread the rules. We were flipping all our shields back to blue after each end phase as if they were disabled.

Just finished a game. It played out as you said really. Quite a tactical little game. Have to take the Romulan ship out for a spin tomorrow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is very difficult to play 1 ship vs 1 ship. It tends to devolve into a circling match. I do suggest picking up at least one additional ship so that you can each run two and it will make future games a lot more tactical as you can maneuver to get one ship into your firing arc while trying to avoid exposing yourself to the other one. Most games these days are 3 to 4 ships per side, but that can get a bit costly to jump right in, but definitely pick up another to do the 2v2 thing as it makes it a whole new game.

As for what to pick up next, you already have what most people consider to be the best Klingon ship, the Vorcha class that comes in the starter. For a second ship for their fleet, I would suggest one of the many Birds of Prey (not the newest one, its kind of lame). The Koraga is an interesting one and it comes with some familiar cards.

For the Federation, if you are into DS9/TNG era, then the Defiant is probably a must for your next ship. It is a little underpowered, but it is a fun ship to play in casual games and fits right in with your theme. Unfortunately it is sometimes a bit hard to track down. There is also a Mirror Universe Defiant (IKS defiant on the pack instead of USS Defiant) which was from DS9, but it isn't a Federation ship and doesn't come with fed upgrades). The Enterprise-E from Star Trek First Contact is another good ship with some nice upgrades, but since it is another TNG ship, you will end up with several duplicate crew to your starter set Enterprise-D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my quick-and-subjective casual play ranking of the TNG/DS9 Fed and Klingon ships, plus Voyager and a Romulan (10 and 11 are pretty similar, and really I'd be a little bit hesitant about anything past 8 or so):

1) Enterprise-E
2) Negh'Var
3) Voyager
4) Koraga
5) Haakona (Romulan)
6) Defiant
7) Ning'tao
8) Hathaway
9) T'Ong
10) Phoenix
11) Thunderchild
12) Fighter Squadron 6
13) Rotarran
14) Pegasus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff D
Australia
flag msg tools
I was thinking of getting the Neg Var and maybe the Hathoway and/or Defiant.

Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
kobold47 wrote:
Here's my quick-and-subjective casual play ranking of the TNG/DS9 Fed and Klingon ships, plus Voyager and a Romulan (10 and 11 are pretty similar, and really I'd be a little bit hesitant about anything past 8 or so):

1) Enterprise-E
2) Negh'Var
3) Voyager
4) Koraga
5) Haakona (Romulan)
6) Defiant
7) Ning'tao
8) Hathaway
9) T'Ong
10) Phoenix
11) Thunderchild
12) Fighter Squadron 6
13) Rotarran
14) Pegasus
I'd argue a few points on that list...

I'm not sure Pegasus has the value to be on any 'must get' list. And you are missing the Valdore and Scimitar, entirely? Those are pretty important parts of Romulan fleets! (At the very least, the Valdore, because of the solid ship, Romulan Tactical Officer, and Donatra)

I also sort of think you underrate the Thunderchild and overrate the Defiant a bit. I mean, yeah, the Defiant has a solid set of cards with it, but the ship itself... eh... it's a good platform for building on, but you really need a lot of other parts to do that, and some are hard to chase down. The Thunderchild, on the other hand, has a solid dial, a *great* ship ability, solid stat line, and comes with probably the best Admiral in the game, in Shanthi (both in cost and fleet ability). Myself, I think I'd swap the Thunderchild and Defiant in the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should elaborate, since I actually agree with most of that. It's definitely not a "must get" list, it's all of the Fed and Klingon retail ships, and Pegasus is at the very bottom, so make of that what you will. Since Geoff said he might even get some Romulans I decided to throw one in (at a somewhat lower rank than I otherwise might), but yes, the Valdore and Scimitar also rate pretty high. For that matter, not only would a science vessel potentially also add a fair amount to casual play, but I bet the poor maligned Scorpions would too.

Casual considerations are also my basis for putting the Defiant so far up the list. Yeah it's weak, but it's still a hero ship with a bunch of content and a price that leaves a lot of flexibility in fleet building. The Thunderchild, while somewhat more of a badass, just doesn't have the thematic cachet. (now if it were me, I'd skip both of them and go ISS Defiant, but Mirror faction is kind of a big can of worms to inflict on a new player.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I can see that - and obviously you are focusing just on that TNG/DS9 era (else Excelsior, Tinyprise, Prometheus, etc might make sense to add) that are generally available retail (else Hood and Lakota would jump up the list).

And, sure, given just 'a couple Romulan to play around with', the Haakona probably flies alongside the core set warbird better than the Valdore does (even if the Taris/Toreth twins thing is...a bit weird...heh).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pooman wrote:
I see. I think I just didn't read the rules properly - I found where it says that in the rules. That makes sense.

I will definitely stick with the game! I've loved ST for a long time and while the quality of the models is not superb, I enjoy not having to assemble and paint miniatures - if anyone wants to paint my 60 or so WW2 Soviets they're welcome . It's quite cheap to play especially compared to Warhammer Fantasy which I got out of in the nick of time devil

I'd like to stick with the TNG, DS9 ish timeline. What ships (Klingon, Federation) do people recommend I get next? Not really interested in competitive play. I mean play to win but not at the expense of fun and fluff.

Might even get some Romulans.
I'll exclude any Organised play prize ships as they're pretty hard to get hold of and tend to cost a lot of money on the second hand market

TNG ships
Federation:
USS Enterprise D (starter set)
USS Pegasus
USS Phoenix
USS Hathaway

Klingon
IKS Maht'ha (starter set)
IKS T'ong

Deep Space Nine ships
Federation:
Deep Space Nine
USS Defiant (older pack, almost impossible to find)
USS Thunderchild
Federation Fighters

Klingon
IKS Negh'var (older pack, tricky to find)
IKS Koraga (older pack, tricky to find)
IKS Rotarran
IKS Ning'tao

Also in the right era
USS Enterprise E (older pack, tricky to find)

Voyager ships
USS Voyager (older pack, difficult to find)
Delta flyer
USS Equinox
USS Prometheus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff D
Australia
flag msg tools
I actually have seen those available in my FLGS that you've listed as hard to find.

Tbh, I don't think STAW is all that popular in the city I live in (Perth). X Wing is all the rage here - which is fine but I like the multuple factions in Star Trek more than the limited number in the Star Wars universe...

I might have to go and have a look tomorrow or on Sunday. After the Neg Var and Phoenix, I'm thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pooman wrote:
I actually have seen those available in my FLGS that you've listed as hard to find.

Tbh, I don't think STAW is all that popular in the city I live in (Perth). X Wing is all the rage here - which is fine but I like the multuple factions in Star Trek more than the limited number in the Star Wars universe...

I might have to go and have a look tomorrow or on Sunday. After the Neg Var and Phoenix, I'm thinking.
I think xwing and attack wing have different strengths and weaknesses and that by and large people flock to the IP they are most interested in. X-wing tends to do a better job at balancing the cost of their cards, probably 50% or more of the cards in STAW are just laughably bad and you would never want to take them in an even semi-competitive setting whereas most x-wing cards will be usable in the right situation.

STAW on the other hand is much, much better as a narrative game with the ship pack scenarios being tons of fun and as a game I feel it reflects the shows much better than x-wing does.

Also the multiplicity of factions and the freedom to mix characters/upgrades between them is a cool twist in STAW's favour.

When all is said and done my heart is and always will be a Trekkie, spending money on Star Wars ships just doesn't make sense to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the perspective of the Federation player, if you're playing against cloaked ships you need dice and quality. Otherwise they will destroy you faster than you can destroy them. You need at least 4 dice with some quality (at least a Battlestations or a target lock and preferably both). 5 dice is better and that means the Enterprise E and the Prometheus as the best "spaceframes".

The best captains are picard 9 (which comes with the starter and gives you an extra action) and Spock (who gives you a free scan or target lock). Other captains might be good too but these are easy and versatile to play. I think Spock 6 is in the Refit Constitution pack. For both ships you need the Dorsal phaser array for all around fire to range 2 which means 2 copies of the Enterprise E but that's not too annoying because two generic Sovereigns are great ships.

Getting a copy of the USS Hood on eBay will give you a type 8 phaser, a system upgrade card and most importantly Will Riker (3 points) for a good defense upgrade. The USS Voyager will give you Janeway and Tom Paris and a good ship too. The regular Constitution (so called Tinyprise for the crazy small size of the miniature) gives you lots of good crew and the ship itself, which with Janeway and the NX-01 Enterprise pack's Enhanced hull plating gives you a pretty neat third ship that is hard to destroy.

That's just a start on a few basics.

From a Klingon perspective you have problems because the Klingons have been neglected. The Vor'Cha is the best spaceframe but you can only get it in the starter (or on eBay from broken up starters). You can get Captain Worf on the Koraga (K'Vort class) and Captain Kor (2 of them) on the Ning'tao (B'Rel class I think) and Martok 8 on the Negh'Var (to give another ship an extra action which they really need). Advanced weapon system comes on the Koraga too and it really just gives you an extra turn of using the cloak which can be useful. If you can find it on eBay, the Ch'Tang has a lot of good stuff including barrage of fire and Defense condition one and the ship itself but it's expensive. I'm not a Klingon player so this is just a start.

For the Romulans, the Scimitar is a beast that can be built up to a really powerful level but remember a single ship build is vulnerable to various tactics such as stasis field generator. Advanced Cloaking is a must and comes on the Vorta Vor. Cloaked mines are a battlefield denial tool and comes on the Praetus. The Interphase generator limits damage when cloaked to 1 hit (and then discards) and comes on the Apnex. Other than the Scimitar there are several other good ships such as the Haakona and the Valdore (and prototype 01 as a skirmisher). The RIS Vo is a great support ship with Captain Donatra (from the Valdore) to buff the other ships). Admiral Mendak is God's gift to the Romulans and comes on the Haakona. Mirok is an interesting captain that can heal damage in a way that can be very annoying to adversaries. Toreth from the starter set is pretty good too as a basic captain.

Get a builder program (like Space Dock) and make your builds first and THEN decide what ships to buy. That will focus you on what you need instead of just buying everything which will get expensive.

Things get more complicated and expensive if you play competitively because often the "unlimited" play OPs you can play upgrades from all factions so you might need cards from all kinds of faction ships but it also gives you more options.

I shudder to think what I've invested in this game and I carry around 5 card binders and a huge tacklebox full of ships, counters, and such. It's a back breaker and a wallet breaker but the game is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gallagher
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What are your plans for playing STAW in the future? That is, are you primarily going to be playing casual games at home, or do you think you'll start participating in organized (tournament) play?

Other posts have provided great recommendations for Klingon and Federation expansions, especially with an eye toward organized play, but if you're going to be mostly casual, I'd recommend getting a variety of single ships from different factions.

For example, and trying to stick to around the same power level as the ships in the starter:

(in order of personal preference)

Soong (Borg/Independent) - relive the TNG episode!
Koranak (Dominion) - solid Cardassian cards, and good start to Dominion faction
Alpha Hunter (Independent) - solid cards, some neat tricks
ISS Defiant (Mirror Universe) - good start to Mirror Universe, tough little ship
Bioship Alpha (Species 8472) - very good ship, especially as a scenario villain (i.e. 2v1)
D'Kyr (Vulcan) - can be a tough ship to kill, kind of an inverse Koranak (similar movement, hits softer, more HP and defensive tricks)
Kreechta (Ferengi) - absolutely love the first couple of seasons of TNG? this is the ship for you! May be tough to balance against some of the others here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff D
Australia
flag msg tools
We'll see. At the moment, I am happy to play scenarios and recreate episodes of the show save Voyager - I didn't rellay like Voyager.

I might participate in OP stuff at a later date but some of the shennanigans I've read about put me off a bit. Seems silly having Picard captaining a bioship for example.

I ended up buying the Negh Var and Phoenix on Saturday. Played against my son (he used the Klingons and I the Federation) and lost again. Didn't let him win this time either. He got pretty lucky with Drex and should have destroyed the Maht'ta but never mind. Fun game and quick!

I think I'll get one more Federation and Klingon ship from TNG and then some cardassians. I'd like to do the scenario that came with the phoenix. Any suggestions for Klingon and Federation TNG era?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Not all OP's are the same. Some do faction pure/ penalty pure/ era specific etc..... Causal play is great and if your interested in OP's do a little research and see how they play. If they do full mix that may not be your cup of tea. But if you get with a local FLGS owner he may let YOU run an OP (after he gets the kits for you, they you can set the parameters that you like. But you need generally at least 4+ players to run an OP, so again a little research ahead of time will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff D
Australia
flag msg tools
There is one coming up on the 28th I think at our FLGS. I will try an go to see what it's all about but probably just watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls