Subject: More combat questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Combat ensues because Seward searched on a location and revealed my New Vampire at night.

Round 1:
Seward plays "Rifle"
Vampire plays "Mesmerized"

Seward is now mesmerized, as "Rifle" does not block that effect.
Question #1: Does the vampire still take 2 points of rifle damage?

Round 2:
Seward plays "Knife"
Vampire plays "Plotting"

Vampire goes to Dracula combat deck and draws up "Fangs" card as "Knife" does not block that ability.
Question #2: Does the vampire still take 3 points of knife damage?

Round 3:
Seward plays "Rifle" again, having picked that card up after Round 2.
Vampire plays "Fangs"

As it is night, and Seward is already mesmerized and "Fangs" was not blocked, Seward is now considered bitten, is removed from combat and Influence advances by 1, EXCEPT, he plays "Great Strength" whose text says "Play when you or another hunter is bitten or would be defeated from suffering damage. That bite or damage is prevented."
Question #3: If Seward is not considered bitten by use of the Great Strength card, does he then take the 2 damage (normal damage associated with "Fangs").
Question #4: In the above scenario, would combat continue as Seward is not considered bitten?

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclodog wrote:
Combat ensues because Seward searched on a location and revealed my New Vampire at night.

Round 1:
Seward plays "Rifle"
Vampire plays "Mesmerized"

Seward is now mesmerized, as "Rifle" does not block that effect.
Question #1: Does the vampire still take 2 points of rifle damage?
No, the first effect of resolving Mesmerise is to cancel the hunter's card, so the Rifle does nothing.

Quote:
Round 2:
Seward plays "Knife"
Vampire plays "Plotting"

Vampire goes to Dracula combat deck and draws up "Fangs" card as "Knife" does not block that ability.
Question #2: Does the vampire still take 3 points of knife damage?
The Vampire takes 2 damage as the ongoing effect of Mesmerise reduces the hunter's weapon damage by 1

Quote:
Round 3:
Seward plays "Rifle" again, having picked that card up after Round 2.
Vampire plays "Fangs"

As it is night, and Seward is already mesmerized and "Fangs" was not blocked, Seward is now considered bitten, is removed from combat and Influence advances by 1, EXCEPT, he plays "Great Strength" whose text says "Play when you or another hunter is bitten or would be defeated from suffering damage. That bite or damage is prevented."
Question #3: If Seward is not considered bitten by use of the Great Strength card, does he then take the 2 damage (normal damage associated with "Fangs").
No, as the effect of Fangs does not do damage to a mesmerised hunter at night.

Quote:
Question #4: In the above scenario, would combat continue as Seward is not considered bitten?
I would say Yes, the reference guide states that the influence advance still happens, but it doesn't say the hunter is still removed from combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD is right on all accounts as I read it and thats how i would play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Strength
“Great Strength” is a hunter event card.
† If Dracula resolves “Fangs” on a mesmerized hunter at night, “Great Strength” prevents the player from gaining the bite token and being defeated. However, the influence track is still advanced.
† When damage is prevented, none of that damage is suffered. Related Topics: Bitten, Damage, Event Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High praise for how these questions were posed. The very clear and specific set up helped make the clear answers possible, and anyone who reads the thread will get a better understanding of the game. Good work, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to all for your answers and validation of answers. I will have some more combat questions, I'm sure. We had a great play through last evening and are really, really enjoying this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls