Subject: Video-game style you want adapted to a board game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Smith
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Long before my newfound obsession with board games, I was a huge video-game player. Coming into board games took a while, but overall there are so many mechanics in board games that I find much more satisfying than many VG's that I play. However, there are some things about VG's that I wish were implemented in BG's.

For example, two of my favorite genres are Real Time Strategy games like Star Craft and Grim Grimoire (points if you know that second gem!) The farming for resources to build brand new constructs that let you utilize new ways to destroy your enemy is so fun! Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that gets that flow in a board game yet without getting unwieldy and huge.

Sometimes, when I'm playing a worker placement game, I want to whip out a second board with a bunch of minis that attack using the resources I just farmed, and I think that's because of my RTS love.

Are there any mechanics/feels from another genre of gaming that you would want to see implemented?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a Sid Meier's pirates board game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McCollum
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
JLWaz wrote:
I would too. I've even tried designing it myself, but I don't have quite enough yet. The hard part is taking what is essentially a single player experience and turning it into multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Santos
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
Galicia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often fantasized about a Team Fortress 2 skirmish game with miniatures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think grand theft auto would be an awesome board game. I have been working on a few ideas and just trying to find the right amount of dynamics, static, and randomizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Smith
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwarf Fortress

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see more hack & slay games ... or - in all seriousness - I'd love to see a jump and run properly converted to a boardgame!

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bartholomew
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JLWaz wrote:
Yes!!! I do not know how close other pirate games come, have never tried. Merchants & Marauders, Pirate's Cove, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt MacKenzie
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game Collector

I might be a little off but Scythe looks like it might scratch that itch? Still on Kickstarter for a day or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roguelikes. Games like Age of Wonders and Heroes of M&M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Well, i'm designing a farcry themed board game

But yeah, i almost never find good board games that gives me the same feeling of video games. Not a bad thing, just different, as i was hoping to bring some of my friends to this hobby through this feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this exists in a board game so if it does let me know

I would love to see a board game using Dungeon Keeper Mechanics. A co-op game where the players are the Dungeon Keeper, creating nasty traps and building foul creatures before the heroes burst in and try and ruin everything.

Also more good games like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective that are similar to a point and click adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
theitalianviking wrote:
However, there are some things about VG's that I wish were implemented in BG's.

For example, two of my favorite genres are Real Time Strategy games like Star Craft and Grim Grimoire (points if you know that second gem!) The farming for resources to build brand new constructs that let you utilize new ways to destroy your enemy is so fun! Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that gets that flow in a board game yet without getting unwieldy and huge.
Warcraft was my favorite video game - the strategy decisions of "leveling up", or hording resources, or mass foot soldiers, aggressive attacking, or more defensive,....make it a great game.

Translating all that to a board game just weighs the game down in tracking resources, etc.

I've got a [WIP] game I'm working on that simplifies resources to 2 (Gold and Construction Crews) that are shared pool for both players. It's got a tech tree so each player can quickly build up a low level army, or, work up the tech tree and build more advanced military units, but this takes time and resources. The game's not perfect, but I'm hoping it gives players that Warcraft game feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I've heard rumblings of a Dark Souls style board game, but because somebody owns the license for that, the idea was shut down. Looks like Sword and Sorcery will be the closest candidate for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurcucumber wrote:
I'm not sure if this exists in a board game so if it does let me know

I would love to see a board game using Dungeon Keeper Mechanics. A co-op game where the players are the Dungeon Keeper, creating nasty traps and building foul creatures before the heroes burst in and try and ruin everything.
It exists. Not a coop though, kinda exactly like Dungeon keeper, only without the fights between rival Keepers. Dungeon Lords

theitalianviking wrote:
Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that gets that flow in a board game yet without getting unwieldy and huge.
RTS games are usually somewhat complex, and it's hard to translate that into board game rules that would be simple. Closest to simple that I can think of is Nexus Ops, but that omits the structure building part (incidentally, that part of RTS games gets left out most often in board games). I love me some build base, build army and go for the enemy, but the only game that lets me feel like that are Runewars and, to a lesser extent, Eclipse. Both would probably qualify as huge and unwieldy in your book :-)

I would love to see a W40k board game (Forbidden Stars is nic, but too broad and space-combat focused) that features squad/unit level fights like the Dawn of War series. But that ain't gonna happen because it would overlap with the actual wargame too much

In general video games don't lend themselves well to board game versions, since a lot of them is based on reaction speed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^^ so much yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
if you could be anything you wanted...
badge
i bet you'd be disappointed.
mb
starfailure wrote:
Oh man this would make SUCH a good board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knights of the Old Republic (Imperial Assault not quite what I was after)

the original Fallout series

the original XCom from the 90s (not like the new one)

Freedom Force or City of Heroes

Turn-based RPG / skirmish video games are a rarity nowadays (everything is "action", "adrenaline" or "real-time" now ... Bleh), plus working in tech makes me want to unplug periodically. Board games scratching the itch nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls