Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Adventure Companion aside...this is an AWESOME game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
I have to post this because so much focus has been placed on the misprinting of the adventure companion - instead of gameplay and all the GOOD stuff.

The gameplay is very cool, simple and effective. The campaign system is simple, cool and effective. There are a very few ambigiouties in the rules (like when exactly does traps trigger). But it doesn't matter that much - it's a DUNGEON CRAWL! Pick the trigger rule you find most fun to play with. It's not going to upset balance.
The campaign system is cool! There are these locations you can go to between quests on cards (so easily expandable). There are LOTS of races and classes to pick from with many abilities and level-up possible to level 10.
There are also a ton of spells if you include the expansions.

Really, the game rocks! It's HeroQuest but with more tactical gameplay and variation. It's easy to do your own stories and btw. did I say how much i LOVED the trap-system. So clever!! You place a trap tile and a blank tile on the map for every trap. So for each trap on the map there is a tile which is blank. So the heroes never know where the real traps are. However they have a clue and can disarm them by beeing adjacent.

The game is TOTALLY playable out of the box and the Adventure Companion contains really COOL ADDITIONAL rules and LOTS of new spells, items, locations cards and even a way to play solo (even with the misprints the rules are great).

The only complaint I have so far is that the text on the cards are too small. Other than that the game is so cool!! I'm in on it!

Just wanted to give a second opinion for people who are on the fence with the core set. Buy it! And the adventure companion is worth it even with the misprints. And please, play with the additional rules in the back of the quest book - they have additional goals for the heroes, as well as reward for killing monster. Much more fun that way. So PLEASE include it (really should be included by default I think).

All in all, if you are on the fence and like dungeon crawlers - pick this one up. You are in for a fun ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you!!!!

Someone finally talks about the gameplay!

Getting tired of all the bitching about the page XX bulshit.

Yes it is there, we ALREADY know, stop bitching and play the damn game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:

All in all, if you are on the fence and like dungeon crawlers - pick this one up. You are in for a fun ride.
I'm with you on this - it does look brilliant and fun to play; it has stacks of content - the main game looks gorgeous with nice figures, items, cards, boards etc. The bookcase box is great.

The game is let down by the expansions/add ons.

So get the main game, play that to death and then by then Mantic should have sorted (one hopes) the expansions issues.

I dived in for everything because I thought I'd get everything as good as the main game - it's like the main game was done (well!) by Mantic and the expansions quickly tossed together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like what you said in paragraph XXX, really resonated with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
What issues are with the expansions beside the adventure companion?

FrankBradshaw wrote:
magikerendk wrote:

I'm with you on this - it does look brilliant and fun to play; it has stacks of content - the main game looks gorgeous with nice figures, items, cards, boards etc. The bookcase box is great.

The game is let down by the expansions/add ons.

So get the main game, play that to death and then by then Mantic should have sorted (one hopes) the expansions issues.

I dived in for everything because I thought I'd get everything as good as the main game - it's like the main game was done (well!) by Mantic and the expansions quickly tossed together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is no issue with the expansions... !

(and Infernal Crypt must be my favorite from what i've seen,it's very different...lava,lava everywhere !)

The only problem is the AC,with poor proofreading,errors,and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Belsamoreth wrote:
there is no issue with the expansions... !

(and Infernal Crypt must be my favorite from what i've seen,it's very different...lava,lava everywhere !)

The only problem is the AC,with poor proofreading,errors,and such.
That's what I thought. I think solo play sounds cool too. I'll try it out right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Green
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'll probably start with a solo random dungeon, as I'm a glutton for punishment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this thread. People are concentrating to much on the component issue (which is not a small one but IMHO not the main point of a game).
I so much waiting for this game it's unbearable ;-)
adly I have to wait a bit longer since they had delivery issues with my package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally for me - very bad packing, minis just thrown together, broken minis and lots of bent stuff. I compare that to the amazing packaging of Blood Rage where everything is packed in lovely boxes that protects things. It resonates with me that care like that is taken. As a supporter of this product, maybe I just expected more than a big cardboard board and bad packaging (for the Expansions - the main game is very well done...which is just odd).

And the bone/damage counters - yes it's an old one, but it's a sore point. there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
FrankBradshaw wrote:
Personally for me - very bad packing, minis just thrown together, broken minis and lots of bent stuff. I compare that to the amazing packaging of Blood Rage where everything is packed in lovely boxes that protects things. It resonates with me that care like that is taken. As a supporter of this product, maybe I just expected more than a big cardboard board and bad packaging (for the Expansions - the main game is very well done...which is just odd).

And the bone/damage counters - yes it's an old one, but it's a sore point. there you go.
The point of the thread is to point out for non-backers that the game is great (and backers should play the game and evaluate the GAMEPLAY also).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My game is still on the dinghy tethered behind the slow boat from China.

Thanks for posting something positive, was getting worried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
FrankBradshaw wrote:
I suspect you are right. The expansions will be sorted by the time they are released for retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to agree that the game looks and plays awesome. Nothing wrong with the base game and expansions and I would also recommend getting them without hesitation.

Definitely scratches that HeroQuest itch!

just don't buy the Adventurer's Companion until it's reprinted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They did put a lot of effort into the base game which is great but it only represents about half of what the backers pledged for as it is available at retail for about 55 dollars with standard internet discounts. A great many backers specifically backed on the stuff that the adventurers companion promised and that it not only is riddled with errors but also seems very weak on a lot of issues is a serious problem for mantic who seemed to be really trying to push out more with this game.

Mantic did not want to release a digital copy of the book to backers in the spring when these issues could have been dealt with since they wanted to be able to sell it as a significant part of an expensive upgrade at retail but now they end up with the worst of both worlds with the digital copy released and many unhappy backers. The cards are very important (magic items, spells, songs, random and solo dungeon are all really in the card set) to the adventurers companion so the retail package is might be still worth it but it is 50 dollars which seems like a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Welcome to the Dream, Hunter!Microbadge: Folklore fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Dark Souls: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Geek Regular
Hi,guys

I totally agree with the OP.this is a great game.and about as good as it gets in my opinion! for this type of game.anyone who wants a really good looking easy to get into easy to play with lots and lots of options without the game getting more complicated then you got it right here
yes,there are some faults in the AC but nothing a free pdf file cant sort out [hint hint mantic].although I haven't played all the expansions I got [I got halpi and crypts] yet.the fun im having takes you back to the great days of bread and butter dungeon crawling.its just a top game simple as that loads and loads of content plus once fan made stuff starts coming out then its limitless.
yes,there are a few small issues but nothing game breaking so if like others have said,your on the fence don't be this is a top quality dungeon crawl with so much content it wil knock you bandy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think one of the issues here is that if you are a backer who was paying attention you pretty much know how the base game goes. There were no significant changes to the mechanics since the alpha (adjustment to where injury occur and wizards being able to back an spell attack die are the only ones that come to mind) so when you get your box and unpack it, after looking at the minis since everyone loves minis right you are probably going to the adventures companion.

I usually do not have time to play a game any random night a box is there when I get how from work but I certainly have a few minutes to go through these new rules when I get ready for bed or use the water closet.

So I think a lot of people reactions go as follow:

This is a big box of stuff.
These minis look good but a lot of plastics are bent or this non mini upgrade looks sort of subpar.
The book box is pretty cool.
(Opens Adventures companion to almost any page) Why is this XXX here,(Checks another page) again, What the F?

Serious I was looking at the Digital copy. The first rule question I was wondering about I found the basic rule was written so badly I could in good faith interpret it to mean the opposite of the intended rule and was hence no good at actually answering my rule question.

It is like in baking where you always crack your eggs one at a time into a separate container since one bad egg into the cake ruins the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad someone posted this as well, I didn't want all the mini's for this game through the KS but I do want the quests and missions as I have a ton of mini's already.

So thank you for this and am waiting for the base game and Adventure Companion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my very first Solitaire DS game and, must say, it was actually quite fun! Even when my dwarf died miserably honorably after he holded Revenants back for several rounds to let others push forward. My scenario was one of the first ones, "Adventure 2: Into The Depths".

My heroes never made it, but that's actually a good thing, I think. It seems that the solo games are not just a walk in a park what I feared at first.

I played only with the original Adventure Companion without errata and didn't notice any game breaking errors yet. Maybe they'll be found when I start a campaign. I didn't use any kind of "Overlord-timer" either. Found it more enjoyable as I wasn't in a hurry. I just wanted to enjoy all of my sneaky tactics. And still couldn't make it at first attempt. Very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the AI compensates for not being a person by giving out more activations than you could normal manage in a consistent basis. This probably helps keep more of the monsters in the action since they are slower than the heros and if you can only activate like 2-3 the ones that are far away/bypassed might never get back into the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HoboWithAShotgun wrote:
I just finished my very first Solitaire DS game and, must say, it was actually quite fun! Even when my dwarf died miserably honorably after he holded Revenants back for several rounds to let others push forward. My scenario was one of the first ones, "Adventure 2: Into The Depths".

My heroes never made it, but that's actually a good thing, I think. It seems that the solo games are not just a walk in a park what I feared at first.

I played only with the original Adventure Companion without errata and didn't notice any game breaking errors yet. Maybe they'll be found when I start a campaign. I didn't use any kind of "Overlord-timer" either. Found it more enjoyable as I wasn't in a hurry. I just wanted to enjoy all of my sneaky tactics. And still couldn't make it at first attempt. Very nice!
I am curious about this as well. So you don't use the invisible overlord deck as a "timer" and just reshuffle the cards? Win condition for the A.I. is just to kill/cripple you? I prefer not having it be a "race" and more just fighting it out, but was concerned that since (perhaps?) the invisible overlord deck is supposed to act as a time that it would be too easy otherwise... it would be nice if Mantic would clarify this rule...

Did you try to solo A.I. rules with the random dungeon? If so how did that work out?

Thanks!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
HoboWithAShotgun wrote:

I am curious about this as well. So you don't use the invisible overlord deck as a "timer" and just reshuffle the cards? Win condition for the A.I. is just to kill/cripple you? I prefer not having it be a "race" and more just fighting it out, but was concerned that since (perhaps?) the invisible overlord deck is supposed to act as a time that it would be too easy otherwise... it would be nice if Mantic would clarify this rule...

Did you try to solo A.I. rules with the random dungeon? If so how did that work out?

Thanks!

Michael
I think you are probably supposed to use some sort of timer as if you just let the heroes outnumber and obliterate monsters in a methodical fashion they should have no problems.

I think trying the random dungeon and AI at the same time your first pass is a bad plan. I would try to master the AI first and do the the random dungeon with some people before combining them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
. So you don't use the invisible overlord deck as a "timer" l
you can't,or otherwise,the game will end brutally.
You draw a card after each hero's turn to see if there is an interruption,and two cards during Overlord's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
HoboWithAShotgun wrote:

Thanks!

Michael
Actually my dwarf crippled just before the deck run out.
But yes, I was going to just re-suffle when it runs out. I prefer good tactics, not a race against "artificial hurry". And these are also my own tests if I can play the timerless games with my gaming group if they don't want to rush it. Seems workable so far. Need more playing time to be sure.

The scenario wasn't too easy, as I added the IO cards from the Valandor expansion. There's a few of "Raise 2-4 something (change the creature type to something what the current scenario allow to raise)". And when these came out as an Interrupt Action, I was in trouble.

I think that good and simple winning goal for Overlord is just cripple the heroes to stop them. In that way the heroes really needs a great tactics and luck. And you should seriously think about their positions also, as the hordes marching forward endlesly and kills the weakest members right away.

michael4928 wrote:

Nope, sorry. I really want to test out the Solo AI rules with the Random dungeon but haven't had time for that just yet. I'm keen to see how that works out.

EDIT: The heroes don't die. They CRIPPLE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
michael4928 wrote:
. So you don't use the invisible overlord deck as a "timer" l
you can't,or otherwise,the game will end brutally.
You draw a card after each hero's turn to see if there is an interruption,and two cards during Overlord's turn.

So is the only win condition for the Invisible Overlord to "cripple" or kill you? Is that tough enough? Or do you use tokens or something as I saw suggested in another thread to keep track of the number of turns a human overlord player would have for that adventure in the base game??? Not sure how that would work in the random dungeon...

I appreciate all insights and ideas as I imagine I still have a pretty long wait for my copy...

Thanks!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |