Subject: Review of Ostfront: Barbarossa to Berlin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Sauerwein
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
My original review on my site, Military History Blog, provided a bit more background into wargaming, as my readers may not be familiar with the hobby, and, this was my first review of a set of game rules, so it was written more as a book review. That said, I will share with you the relevant portion of my review as it relates to this book.

Quote:
Ostfront takes players from the Far East conflict between the Soviets and Japanese to the Winter War, the various operations that revolved around Hitler’s invasion of the Soviet Union, and the Soviet counter-attack that led to the capture of Berlin. Available armies include German forces, Finnish, Soviet, and Japanese, while theater-specific rules provide interesting opportunities for varying scenarios, including night fighting, mud, ice, and snow.

The book does an excellent job of discussing the intricacies of the individual scenarios, including objectives and various vehicle options. It covered the background history of the broad campaigns and the specific battles. Featuring exquisite artwork that is customary for Osprey-published works, this book is a must for those who seek to game with German and Soviet forces. It is important to note that it is not a stand-alone set of rules, but a supplement to the main Bolt Action rules.

Having played Bolt Action, I’ve enjoyed the mechanics of the game and the smaller, squad-based, scale. This book is one of several theater-specific supplements that allow players to customize their gaming experiences even more than with the main rules. A well-organized, beautifully-illustrated book, Ostfront will delight gamers seeking to either take on the Soviet Union, or defend the Motherland at all costs. For experienced players seeking to expand their Bolt Action offerings and go in a different direction by fighting the Soviets versus Japan, or Soviets versus Finland, Ostfront should be on your shelf next to the main rulebook.

With that said, I feel that players will enjoy the additional unit and weapon specifications that are present with this book for fighting the Eastern Front, as well as the inclusion of the Winter War between the Soviets and Finland, as well as the border war between the Soviets and Japan, which will allow more players to engage the book.

Though I've only played BA as either US or Germans and plan to build my own US force based off the 1st Infantry Division (Big Red One), this book makes me want to consider building a Soviet force as well, as the scenarios really appealed to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.