Subject: Solo perspective? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any solo playing perspective for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is Solo as one of the Rebel Leaders in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Don't believe the lies! A wooden stake to the heart will kill just about anything.
badge
May be YOUR' a grammer not see
Microbadge: Thanos Rising fanMicrobadge: Swords & Sorcery fanMicrobadge: Magic Realm fanMicrobadge: Middle-earth Quest fanMicrobadge: Starship Troopers fan
mae68it wrote:
Most likely the Rebel Base will be hidden which may cause difficulties for solitaire play. In Freedom in the Galaxy, there were easy ways to work around this but we'll need a bit more information about this game to know for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GARY SEVEN
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
mae68it wrote:
Most likely the Rebel Base will be hidden which may cause difficulties for solitaire play. In Freedom in the Galaxy, there were easy ways to work around this but we'll need a bit more information about this game to know for sure.
So yeah, I doubt there will ever be an official solo (single player) variant for the game (i.e. you play against a kind of AI opponent).

As for solitairing the game (wargame/Rahdo style), it seems like you might be able to do that just playing both sides. The fact that there seems to be a lot of hidden information (i.e. cards) might make this kind of hard though.

I think if you want to play this game and can not find a face to face opponent, then PBF/PBeM seems like it might be cool. There has been some mention of playing this game double blind which might lend itself well to PBF/PBeM plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play would be cool, but if rebel base is hidden, maybe only playing as rebel is possible.

Else maybe struggle for the galactic empire could be used as a source of ideas for solo design.

Still being a 2 player game, at least it not too hard to find players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge is finding another player when you have time and the desire to play! For me, both finding opponents (especially those willing to play any game that lasts longer than 30 minutes!) and then matching schedules is difficult, so I end up playing everything solo more often than not.

FFG often doesn't design games with the solo player in mind, but it's certainly possible to play their games solitaire with a little mind stretching and extra work. I used to play Freedom in the Galaxy solitaire, so I imagine I will be able to work out a solo fix for this one, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already made a starcraft solo variant, so I can probably get some ideas from there, the only difference so far is the amount of hidden information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring is excellent playing solo so long as you realized that you only won playing the Fellowship side, so I can see something similar here with the Rebels....perhaps leaving the rebel base card in the probe deck where a draw each turn might reveal it...anyway, too soon to really dig into this until I see the rules and game flow, but it miight be possible to create an Empire AI if there is some deterministic strategy similar to the Shadow in WotR.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to BGG, war of the ring does not play solo. Are you actually playing both sides at once?

Else another solo alternative which I don't think would work here is to play one side the first half of the game, then play the opposing side the next half.

I have seen world war 2 games like that where you play the Japanese the first half, then you play the Americans the second half. You try to do your best on each side ( you accumulate points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
larienna wrote:
According to BGG, war of the ring does not play solo. Are you actually playing both sides at once?

Else another solo alternative which I don't think would work here is to play one side the first half of the game, then play the opposing side the next half.

I have seen world war 2 games like that where you play the Japanese the first half, then you play the Americans the second half. You try to do your best on each side ( you accumulate points).
So who plays the *other* side while you're playing your side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody

You see, for the pacific game the first half of the game, the american could not do much leaving all the space to the japanese. At most there was a basic defensive AI script. Then when you switch to the american, the japanese could do little things at the end of the war. Again, a basic defensive AI script did the job.

The game I know that did this is:
Typhon sur le Pacifique

For Star wars, you could have an empire expansion phase, meanwhile rebellion build up. Then the uprising occurs and the rebels needs to annihilate the empire.

You score points at the end of the empire phase, and at the end of the rebel phase. The more points you make with the empire, the more points the rebel are going to the able to take back, but the harder it will be.

So if you want a good global score, you need to play well with both sides.

Another idea with the same system, a player plays onne side, takes a picture of the board, then send it to his opposing player which try to defeat that player's position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Don't believe the lies! A wooden stake to the heart will kill just about anything.
badge
Microbadge: Thanos Rising fanMicrobadge: Swords & Sorcery fanMicrobadge: Magic Realm fanMicrobadge: Middle-earth Quest fanMicrobadge: Starship Troopers fan
As with War of the Ring, I plan on playing both sides with no AI and very limited scripts (if any).

I really like that Empire probing just confirms where the Rebel Base is NOT located, much like in Freedom in the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
robertg611 wrote:
As with War of the Ring, I plan on playing both sides with no AI and very limited scripts (if any).

I really like that Empire probing just confirms where the Rebel Base is NOT located, much like in Freedom in the Galaxy.
War of the Ring has very little hidden information - basically just the cards. The movement of the Fellowship isn't really hidden in any way - it's just thematically "hidden".

Rebellion is quite different. The entire victory condition revolves around each player being unaware of the other's progress in either finding the base or keeping it concealed. I really don't see how you could play this solo unless you're really good at compartmentalising your mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
bleached_lizard wrote:
robertg611 wrote:

War of the Ring has very little hidden information - basically just the cards. The movement of the Fellowship isn't really hidden in any way - it's just thematically "hidden".

Rebellion is quite different. The entire victory condition revolves around each player being unaware of the other's progress in either finding the base or keeping it concealed. I really don't see how you could play this solo unless you're really good at compartmentalising your mind.
Trust me, I don't think the fun of this game will be tied to who wins or loses.

I've got a few ideas with the Probe cards as well as some "simulated bluffing" that I've used in other games like Middle Earth Quest. I also like the hidden Fellowship from War of the Ring, where the Fellowship isn't really anywhere until it is found somewhere. Something similar could be used for the Rebel Base.

If I find something that's simple and still works, I'll be sure to post a variant here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules so it's pure speculation, but for alternating side it could work like this.

During the empire phase, it would be the pre-episove IV era where the empire expand their control around the galaxy.

Then when you switch to the rebels, it would be the post Episode-IV era, where the Probe deck could be used by the AI script.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The probe deck seems like something an app could handle for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm! an App!, that could be an interesting idea. I am currrently working on an hybrid video/board game engine that should be able to be used as sidekicks apps like XCOM. That could indeed open a lot of doors to this game and many other games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc mad
Canada
flag msg tools
Just because I am crazy, I made an app:

http://starwarsrebellionsolo.com/

Not the best visuals, but hope you enjoy!

There may still be a few things to fix:

- I am not sure if when the rebels establish a new base, the old rebel base card goes into the probe deck or into the imperial hand. Right now it goes into the deck.

- We could add an option to simulate some of the card effects (like interrogation). But still not sure about all the cards available.

- For the advanced game setup, is it total random for the imperial starting probe cards ?

- Maybe UI improvements?

- Tell me if you see anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
marc477 wrote:

Not the best visuals, but hope you enjoy!

There may still be a few things to fix:

- I am not sure if when the rebels establish a new base, the old rebel base card goes into the probe deck or into the imperial hand. Right know it goes into the deck.

- We could add an option to simulate some of the card effects (like interrogation). But still not sure about all the cards available.

- For the advanced game setup, is it total random for the imperial starting probe cards ?

- Maybe UI improvements?

- Tell me if you see anything else.
Nice! Good work. For what it's worth I think the card for the old Rebel base won't go back into the deck, but who knows? We'll just have to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
marc477 wrote:

Wow that is neat! I will offer some feedback for you.

marc477 wrote:
- I am not sure if when the rebels establish a new base, the old rebel base card goes into the probe deck or into the imperial hand. Right now it goes into the deck.
Yes, when the rebels do indeed establish a new base, the card containing the base's old location does get handed to the Imperial player. The cards not selected by the Rebel player when relocating go back to the bottom of the card deck (are you having the 'draw probe' function randomize the system drawn every time in your app, or are you randomizing a virtual deck first that keeps its order though the gameplay?)

marc477 wrote:
Very plausible, but as you said you'll have to wait until once the game is out to see what can be easily implemented.

marc477 wrote:
Yes, though as an added bonus, you could program it to give the Imperial player the option to select the starting cards if they want.

marc477 wrote:
- Maybe UI improvements?
Why not keep the map always shown, and simply color in the boxes when the Imperial player has drawn its probe card? Less confusion and easier for players to compare image to image.

It will still take a lot of work to drive the mechanics for all that an opposing AI in this game needs to do (especially the decision making between missions and combat), but this is quite impressive already and fills in a major gameplay element. Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
The whole point of this game is getting into the head of your opponent, predicting their strategy and altering your strategy accordingly. Make this a solo game and the entire point of the game is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc mad
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you for your feedbacks,

I fixed the deck so it is ordered instead of just random pick. So that when the rebel base is moved, the cards drawn are added at the bottom, and the old rebel base is given to the imperial player.

I also added a button to switch between map and card views
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls