Rok ROK
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
look down
badge
You're not afraid of the dark, are you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I Love the original +(Crisis), but how come this is rated so low??
It looks fine to me, basically the same game with all new cards...

Anyone know why it's rated so low? Does it really suck or do the 61 people who rated it know something we don't?

Thx, Rok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "Over my dead body!"Microbadge: Pew! Pew!Microbadge: Han shot first!Microbadge: Star Wars fan - BlasterMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Greedo
It just needs more ratings and if more ratings are similar to what they are now the game will climb to a higher rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rok ROK
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
look down
badge
You're not afraid of the dark, are you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha just found this in BGG FAQ:

"The BGG Rating is based on the Average Rating, but the number is altered. BoardGameGeek's ranking charts are ordered using the BGG Rating. To prevent games with relatively few votes climbing to the top of the BGG Ranks, artificial "dummy" votes are added to the User Ratings. These votes are currently thought to be 100 votes equal to the mid range of the voting scale: 5.5, but the actual algorithm is kept secret to avoid manipulation. The effect of adding these dummy votes is to pull BGG Ratings toward the mid range. Games with a large number of votes see their BGG Rating alter very little from their Average Rating, but games with relatively few user ratings will see their BGG Rating move considerably toward 5.5. This is known as "Bayesian averaging" and a quick search of both BGG and/or the Web will reveal much discussion on the topic.

In effect, usually the games with many votes will Rank higher than those games with the same Average Rating but fewer votes.
"

And there I was, all afraid this game will suck blush
Thx Ray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
Es gibt nur eine Borussia
badge
Die Raute im Herzen
mbmbmbmbmb
You could look at the "Average Rating" at the top of the game page.
This is the value "undiluted" by the rating math.

Colony Wars currently has 8.02, the base game has 7.72.

You have to take this with a grain of salt, since it is much less likely that a person disliking Star Realms rates Colony Wars (why should they buy / play the successor if they hated the original?), but it gives a general indication of what people think.

I personally tend to look more at the comments about a game than the rating or ranking, it usually helps me more to get an opinion about a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably doesn't help the rating that this isn't yet available for most people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Depew
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkko wrote:

"The BGG Rating is based on the Average Rating, but the number is altered. BoardGameGeek's ranking charts are ordered using the BGG Rating. To prevent games with relatively few votes climbing to the top of the BGG Ranks, artificial "dummy" votes are added to the User Ratings. These votes are currently thought to be 100 votes equal to the mid range of the voting scale: 5.5, but the actual algorithm is kept secret to avoid manipulation. The effect of adding these dummy votes is to pull BGG Ratings toward the mid range. Games with a large number of votes see their BGG Rating alter very little from their Average Rating, but games with relatively few user ratings will see their BGG Rating move considerably toward 5.5. This is known as "Bayesian averaging" and a quick search of both BGG and/or the Web will reveal much discussion on the topic.

In effect, usually the games with many votes will Rank higher than those games with the same Average Rating but fewer votes.
"

And there I was, all afraid this game will suck blush
Thx Ray.
My thesis advisor (a consumate Bayesian) is going to love this.

Bayesian averaging like this is far more accurate than frequentist statistics. Most of the modern Big-Data stuff that really does well at targeting accurately is done with this kind of Bayesian averaging and tends to lead to considerably better overall performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG posterMicrobadge: I play with blue!
Expansions are never high in rankings, just because not enough people ever vote for them. And this is an expansion, no matter how they want to market it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Depew
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Expansions are never high in rankings, just because not enough people ever vote for them. And this is an expansion, no matter how they want to market it.
There are a few cases where this is not true, but it's usually for more popular games. Expansions often have higher pre-corrected ratings (because they have less downvoting) but fewer ratings overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well done! thumbsup

It can be tricky learning how things work here on BGG. I'm ashamed to say I still haven't figured out all of the features of the website. Fortunately, people haven't been too rough on me when I violated BGG etiquette(thank you for that, BTW.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls