Jason C
msg tools
mb
For the full review with some additional details, check out the website, "How does it play with two?", a resource dedicated to board games with two players.

It’s some time in the future…the ultimate challenge. CROSSFIRE!

I’m guessing that it’s unlikely that years from now, our idea of sports will involve shooting metal balls at plastic pucks, but the sports as we know them could evolve into something different.

Lets throw away all of the outs and innings, the play-by-play, and the stat sheets - add in some robots and cyborgs for good measure.

Baseball Highlights 2045 boils down an entire game of baseball into a hand of six cards and some how makes it still feel like baseball.

How does the gameplay feel?

The game revolves around you and your opponent playing cards back and forth. Each card can have up to two different abilities:
- A special ability that immediately resolves during your turn.
- Potential hits (singles, doubles, triples, or home runs) that the opposition may want to deal with.

I think one aspect of the game that can really throw people off at first is the flow of a turn. This is because the card you play during your turn, doesn't actually finish resolving until the end of your opponent's next turn. This can create an uneven flow that can cause some confusion during your first play through. As long as you take things slow and pay attention to each card's abilities as you play them, you should pick up the game in no time.

Here's an example of what I mean without getting too deep into the rules:

- Lets say you play this card below. This means that on your turn, you are creating the potential for your team to hit two singles.

- Your opponent now plays the card below on their turn.

- Your opponent immediately resolves the ability in the larger rectangle (knuckleball). This reduces both of your potential singles by one (singles turn into no hits).

- You now resolve the card you played. Since your opponent canceled out your hits, your card now does nothing.

- Your opponent creates the potential for their team to hit a triple and ends their turn.

Thoughts and Opinions

Baseball Highlights 2045 really feels like you’re playing through…the highlights of a baseball game, despite the gameplay mechanics being driven by playing cards. The game is definitely innovative and there is a lot of enjoyment to be had in this game even if you’re only a little interested in baseball.

If you have the time to play out the full game (45 minutes to an hour), Baseball Highlights will definitely show off its depth in gameplay. Turns move quickly and keeps you involved even when it’s your opponents turn. The flow of the game can be tricky for some people at first. I think you do need to take things slow at first to get into the rhythm of the game. It has the potential to catch people off guard (especially when understanding that your hits/runs are only threatened on your turn, but not resolved until your opponent has played a card).

Even though the starter teams are all very similar, as soon as you finish the first game and have a chance to customize your team, your team will start to see the variety of strategic options available to you. Due to the random nature of the cards you can purchase each time you play and the back and forth nature of the game, I think that you will find a lot of enjoyment out of this game before things even begin to get stale. The base game alone provides a great amount of enjoyment.

The theme doesn’t get too much into the deeper rules of baseball and I think that makes this game accessible to non-baseball fans. If at least one of you two have interest in baseball, you should be able to play together without problems. For any specific baseball terminology or jargon used, there are explanations on the cards or the player reference cards.

Before you decide to purchase Baseball Highlights 2045 ask yourself these questions:

- Do you or your gaming partner have at least a little interest in baseball?
- Are you looking for a game that has the ability to be played in short bursts?
- Do you want a game that involves a relatively high amount of player interaction with many opportunities for “take that” moments?
- Are you okay with taking some extra time in the beginning stages of the game to work out some of the counter-intuitive rules?

If you can answer yes to these questions, I think you will find a lot of value out of Baseball Highlights 2045. I hope that my thoughts here can help you decide if Baseball Highlights 2045 is the right game for you and your gaming partner.

Play Ball!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm BullTaco and I approved this message.
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick overview...

My gaming buddy and myself are baseball nuts...we still play the 1972 Sports illustrated version with the new team charts of course...

I am just confused as to what to purchase....which edition...which expansions.....I am some what a completionist and want everything this game has to offer......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason, Excellent review and I recommend people click on your link for the full article!

Go Wiffle!

Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
The Super Deluxe version has all 7 expansions. There are also some more starter teams available. The Basic version is a good way to start with plenty of play in it and then you can add expansions or go for the complete set with Super Deluxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
msg tools
mb
bulltaco wrote:
Thanks for the quick overview...

My gaming buddy and myself are baseball nuts...we still play the 1972 Sports illustrated version with the new team charts of course...

I am just confused as to what to purchase....which edition...which expansions.....I am some what a completionist and want everything this game has to offer......

I've been seeing the "Super Deluxe Edition" on sale at online retailers. This edition comes with all of the available expansions (minus the additional starter teams) and is priced a little cheaper than if you bought the base game and expansions separately.

I think that's a good way to get a taste of everything at a reasonable price, especially if you already feel like this game is going to be a great fit for you and your gaming buddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with it all. There is no game in my collection that has given me any more pleasure per time I've played it than this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd go with it all. There is no game in my collection that has given me any more pleasure per time I've played it than this one.

Totally agreed. It's our top played game, for two, and neither of us is remotely interested in baseball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm BullTaco and I approved this message.
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your comments...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.