Summer 65 Turn2:
Special Ops:
US places several remote Battalions on hold
NLF puts one unit on Patrol, Want to keep VC options open
Strategic Movement:
A few Moves to reinforce Threatened Capitals as best The FWA can,
no security ops as no VC on the roads.
Ops phase:
VC Attacks on Capitals One attack at Hau Bon, 19 +2 Arty, US declares FF and adds 4 air so
Aug Battalion on hold in capital town is 6 +2 arty +4 Air = 12 so 3-2 roll attacker loss 2, US sends
defensive reserve of 1 155 and a Marine Battalion as its guard they get adjacent in 4837 using foot
for Marine from Pleiku and Air-mobile the ARTY to make it there. I probably should call it off but want
to try to get an air or air-mobile point so roll and it ends up a modified VC loose 5 Replacement points and -1 pursuit so call it off.
Attack lone US HQ but forget US unit gets reaction and with 8 movement points the Battalion joins the HQ,
I Do get 2 US replacement points for 1 VC but pursuit of +2 doesn't let me catch the retreat with any force so
I redeploy to force attacks (into the rice I go)
Down to 5 VC Replacements so do a large string of Strategic movements getting into
cultivated hexes or over loading a few provinces in the mountains.
Still have about 1/3 VC left able ot move need to let US player run some ops so VC can
maybe slip by into strategic provinces on the population game.
US Ops:
1 battalion get a ranger and cruiser go after VC in Quang Tri - Town of Dong Ha,
Alert roll allows attack & US looses 1 ARVN Replacement point then VC retreat takes
them into mountains, US happy to have driven them out of the town, end ops
Give US another OP: Going after block of units in Cultivated hexes in Quang Tin,
VC decide to react into target hex with 2 regiments and a battalion with the div HQ in range
hoping to inflict massive casualties. First rolls are great for the US (pursuit of "0" but loose
some ARVN replacements and an Ai-rmoblile point. VC split up and through a series of about 6
Combat rounds The Regiments retreat into rough terrain etc. I cause 1 loss on a 2 strength VC so they
take the counter and add one to Replacements to help protect the regiments. By the end of it
all The Attack started in 4717 ended with a 2nd VC battalion leaving with one loss to increase
replacement pool by 1 (pursuit number was a +5) in hex 5325. The operation had 3 rangers and
several call ups of offensive reserves. The regiments are scattered from their HQ for the moment
and the cultivated hexes are cleared mostly for the moment in I and II Corps.
VC doing ops next:
Strategic move to overwhelm Binh Dinh and pull back into favorable terrain in Tuyen Doc.
Drop a battalion in Phong Dien, Phu Bai and had one in Can Thien so trying to trip up I Corps too.
Not a lot of US controlled units in I and Northern II corps.
Still have a block that is mobile in Long Khanh.
Will let US run a n Op or two to see what they can do
US OPS
US Run S&D vs 5042 Alert roll is a 2 vs 2 battalions of 101st 2/2 and 1/2 and HQ the pol section can't escape combat so goes poof
S&D With ARVN and a Ranger vs Phu Bon, Alert to 3908 combat give 1 loss, take a replacement and retreat to the coast 4108
S&D Ops vs Phong Dien VC alerts to 3205 can't get in city (1/4/ 3M battalion and a ranger)
S&D Aug inf battalion from Quang Tri and a ranger VC alerts away
VC runs Strategic move to take unit that just alerted to Phong Dien
US runs Security op with 2 air ARVN Regiment from 4214, and when it hits Phong Dien find a political section so it goes Poof.
Unit Stops here
S&D using 9th Brigade HQ of 3M and 2/3 ARVN Reg., 2/9 Marine Battalion and 2 rangers on VC at 5433
After alert and a couple of combat rounds VC ends up in 5628. cost 1 replacement for VC, 3 for ARVN
S&D 101st 1/3 and 3/3 div HQ go after 4747 - VC disperse and increase /replacement pool
S&D ARVN AC from Tung Nghia, 2/3 101st and 2/101st HQ VC in 4745 They Alert away to 4545
VC Strategic move into Khanh Hoa, on into cultivated 5542 another into Ninh Hoa - The later could be the target for a security op this season yet
but that would pull 101st Battalion and HQ away from where they are right now which would be good for the VC.
US Ops S&D Vs VC 3456 Alert away, left 155 arty uncovered in 3357
VC take the bait attack Arty at 2-1 and fail miserably getting a loss and no pursuit (0). Arty retreats to 1C battalion
From botch operation before attack. then 101st 1/1, 2/1, 3/1 4/1 1/101st HQ, Div HQ come after 4 stack of VC,
Poor alert roll then Offensive reserves from every where (3 HQ of 1C 1st HQ of 1c rest of 1st cav Battalions
and one of the 3rds all converge and after a merry chase we manage to destroy 4 battalion
VC Strategic deploy Battalions from Cambodia into Cultivated hexes and await more US ops.
US S&D on hex 2461 ARVN Inf Bat and 1/3/1C An ARM Battalion from ARVN in Pho Chong to give rangers start hex
Target is VC in 2461 get them in round 2 of combat. ARVN go after 1578 - no ranger VC alert away
ARVN target 1976 get a ranger but it alerts away
Long Op with some rearranging the garrison battalions on hex1168 with 3/2/1C, 2/1C HQ, got 3 rangers , unit got away US lost air point
VC gives op US passes VC say we be done with Summer 65.
Quick summary ARVN down to 11 Replacements, US to 13, US lost 2 air-mobile and 2 air points, VC Replacements down to 1,
Summary and reflections:
Found out just how resilient augmented INF battalions in towns are. Put on hold (since they don't have a ZOC anyway) they are 6 strength(with Regional Forces) and 2 Arty.
That means to get a plus one as VC you need at least 16 in in a free fire zone, 14 if not. Even the ineffective ones were 4 strength(with Regional Forces) and 1 Arty, that
Requires 10 in free fire or 9 if not, The Fact that just 2-3 air points can shift your odds as the VC makes taking these capitals not worth it as I found out.
Ended up needing to Disperse etc. several Battalions just to keep enough replacement points on the track to protect the expensive Regiments/division.
My VC deployment was roughly what I have always done, contend the delta enough to get US commitment to it, but concentrate in III and II Corps areas,
some in I Corps but ultimately that will be the NVN Army's domain.
As the US I was surprised at the number that got away, I had 28 battalion equivalents in my 3 divisions, but with the VC “inland” I managed only about 14/16 S&D ops per season.
I did get 14 VC Battalion Equivalents, but several of those were “dispersals" to build the VC replacement pool and keep the operating units from being able to finish in “good” hexes.
With my last 2 full divisions for a bit coming in Fall 65 with Arty and Air I look to get over that magical “30” hurdle,
I will have far more ARVN (all but one division worth of regiments and 4 of the 13 HQ) next supplies will finish the HQ and bring in the Artillery.
Should be an end of turn 2 Map Post with this (before going to Fall 65 Inter-phase)

Fall 65 inter-phase
Pacification washes out, some up a bit some down but ends up 217 population for SVN 143 for NLF so literally no change in total just a redistribution.
One thing the numbers for the 2 "15" Populations are reversed in Setup from The rule book has Thau Thien
starts at 13 and Binh Dinh at 8. I played the provinces as listed in game because I am not sure how to
edit them to be correct.
8 air vs trail - die roll 4 = 1 hit trail, die roll 2 for losses = 2 air lost
8 air vs north unrestrained die roll 2 = 1 hit on north, die roll 5 = 0 lost air,
SVN Moral +4 to 75, US moral die roll of 4 - so 1 +4/2 = net of -3 on US Morale down to 516
I read rule wrong hits on north must go against supplies sent south not the total commitment they have available
so 10 trail supply will get through at a 8x rate so 80 supplies via trail
4 sent by sea - US Die roll = 1 so 84-1 = 83 closet is 82 which equals 23+(4x2) from errata = 31 supply by sea
Replaced CoS with B3 - and 23rd Div with B0
All B Leaders drop 1 on loyalty roll.

Adjustments made on Morale
US morale -8 for new commitment so US morale down to 508
ARVN gets +1 leader, +10 previous season US new commitment, -1 pop to SVN morale to 85
NVN: starting morale 15, +3 us commitment, +5 for current NVN morale,
+10 for us new commitment so Morale up to 33.

US/ARVN recruitment phase:
Removing ARVN /ac units for: 1st, 18th, 23rd and the 3 para regiment.
US 50 commitment: (c after number is commitment amount)
1st Marine Division (9c)
23rd(Americal div) (11c)
8 Air-mobile points (4c)
18 air points (6c)
12 replacements (4c)
5 155MM Arty (5c)
63 ARN Supplies (9c)
2 SVN Econ Aid (2c):
1st Die roll = 4 so 4/2 = +2 morale, 2nd Die roll = 1 so 1/2 round down = 0 net +2
so SVN morale is at 87 If I do this right I should be right around 100 morale at end
of winter 65 inter-phase That is the goal of this fast US buildup and
accelerated Rangers/ARVN builds.
At 125 commitment: rolling for Korean units availability
Reg CAV of Capital Div: DR = 4 so available
2M reg: DR = 6 marines still practicing at Pusan.
9 Div: DR = 3 9th div still training in the DMZ

ARVN Builds:
24 replacement points (12/6}
1 Para Regiment(2/1) get general A3 loyalty 10 Build the other one (2/1)(3rd will have to wait
because of being withdrawn this recruitment phase)
Build Reg 23rd(2/1) get general C5 loyalty 8 - build the rest of regiments 2 in II corps,
1 in I Corps(6/3)
Build 1st div regiment(2/1) in III Corps get C5 general but loyalty is a 6!
Build out the 21st div in IV Corps (6/3)
3 regiments 5th div (6/3) In I Corp
1 reg (2/1) of 18th in II corps get C1 loyalty 11 build other 2 in II corps(4/2)
2 Div Reg in III Corp (2/1)
Upgrade last 3 Inf Battalions(2/0)
Build out 1st Div in Saigon (6/3)
Building 4 HQ(12/4) (Para, MAR, 1st, 23rd - 0 SVN Supply left
NLF Recruitment:
80 trail supply
31 Sea Supply
10 in supply pool
Sea 3 VC Replacement points (3/1), 2 for supply conduit in An Xuyen(2),
Then independent Regiment in An Xuyen (10/4)
Trail: 36 supply and 14 draft for VC division (8th) in Cambodia/Border hexes
Sea :6/3 battalion at 4660, 4519, and 4318 (1 each hex)
Trail 30/10 for 30 replacements
Trail 14/7 for 7 battalions
Remaining Sea Supply to the pool (now at 20)
so VC have on the map:
9 political sections,
65 battalions,
2 divisions (6 reg, 2 HQ)
1 independent regiment
1 supply conduit
84 counters!
plus 34 replacements
Draft Level at 131
NVN spend 2 commitment to get 6 more Replacements save the last one for Winter
Next Season commitment to VC - 9 trail and 2 sea.
Moving Division south on the trail
ARVN Effectiveness die roll = 5:
A few Capitals just became vulnerable!
II Corps, IV Corps, 2nd, 5th, 7th, 18th divisions all ineffective!
Start of turn Fall 65 turn 1 coming up
Will post a second map of after inter-phase of Fall 65 as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I keep track of things happening in the turn using the notes feature in the Vassal module. Thus you get fairly detailed notes on what went on, plus I try to give my reactions to the situationals I face each time I sit down. IT takes me a while because I try to wait at least one day after doing a bunch of VC/NVN moves to help me "forget" what's where. I forgot where the regiments were when I attacked that cluster and should have known they would try to get involved. just a lucky die roll fo the US side let them come away with a victory (I call 2 battalions dispersed a victory even if it did activate 8-9 units to do it.

So what odes the reading public think, do you like the details or would you rather see summaries and map images?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally like to read the details of the operations. We dont get much from that perspective in the other AARs posted here.

So I'd say keep sharing the details, I read them through rather than skim them over & find it interesting to see the repl and hardware losses and that stuff.

Gives me an operational point of reference if you will.

With those having less time to read/enjoy the AAR, the responses will likely be "more summary / more pictures".

Maybe a blending of the two approaches would be appropriate, if you consider that option. Focus on a few interesting operations ( which is kinda what you have done thus far.)

I'm following it and enjoying the reading. Glad you are tackling this monster solo… I dont think I'd be able to stick to it.

I tried a solo game of Red Barricades once, and recorded it in narrative detail… it was great, but my ability to follow through lagged after a while.

So if the extra detail is bogging you down, then dump it from the AAR.

But if its enjoyable to record your details, then keep doing so.

Thanks for the Solo AAR Fred.

Its a nice addition to the growing list of Vietnam AARs we as a community are generating for this game.

Randy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob A

North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please feel free to keep bringing the operational details! It gives a nice reference we can look at our maps to follow along.

I know I don't do that much on the ops level, but I did use that for my latest offensive recap. I just feel like I write so much into what I'm thinking that I would overwhelm a reader with an 8000 word post if I added all the details - and it would take me absolutely forever to do it.

Keep it going!

PS - I'm still alive with mine, just a busy 2 weeks. Have only played one more season so far.

Quote:
One thing the numbers for the 2 "15" Populations are reversed in Setup from The rule book has Thau Thien
starts at 13 and Binh Dinh at 8. I played the provinces as listed in game because I am not sure how to
edit them to be correct.
You will need to learn this, as the process messes up sometimes at the max+ levels. I have seen it go from 9+ (in a 9 pop) to 9- when it rolls a +4 adjustment.
It is in the Help somewhere, but the key combination is cntl-option(alt)-shift-n or m (or something close to those keys). One lets you fix the number, the other lets you fix the (+/-) part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrboba1 wrote:
Please feel free to keep bringing the operational details! It gives a nice reference we can look at our maps to follow along.

I know I don't do that much on the ops level, but I did use that for my latest offensive recap. I just feel like I write so much into what I'm thinking that I would overwhelm a reader with an 8000 word post if I added all the details - and it would take me absolutely forever to do it.

Keep it going!

PS - I'm still alive with mine, just a busy 2 weeks. Have only played one more season so far.

Quote:
edit them to be correct.
You will need to learn this, as the process messes up sometimes at the max+ levels. I have seen it go from 9+ (in a 9 pop) to 9- when it rolls a +4 adjustment.
It is in the Help somewhere, but the key combination is cntl-option(alt)-shift-n or m (or something close to those keys). One lets you fix the number, the other lets you fix the (+/-) part.
Thanks I'll look into it, The issue I had is they were "flipped" from the initial Campaign scenario in the Vassal module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will keep up about the same detail as I do now, like I said I just make notes at the time of the operation(s) but don't really go into every strategic move by hte VC or FWA. I suppose I could save all the Vlogs etc. and send those for people to step through... No Wait I do have a wife and 4 kids, I can't do that until the kids are all out of the house (about 4-6 years yet)
I like giving the details to the extent I do, it actually changes my own perspective as I play, I did that with the VC in Turn 2 when the 3 "good" attacks I thought I had all bombed out (one was luck, another was not realizing how powerful an augmented Infantry battalion can be and one was just stupid mistake of letting a US unit react to save its HQ). Yes I lived with that mistake because I saw it as a reminder to pay attention.
IT is really giving me pause on my VC play as my FWA deployments seem to be far more effective than my last live opponent's was.
He kind of scattered the ARVN Divisions, and brought in odd amounts of US suppoert like 27 commitment, 33 commitment and 42 (I think those were the first 3 seasons of stuff). I had by winter all 3 VC divisions, all the regiments and 60 battalions in SVN and by summer of 66 I had 187 population (he never chased me out of contested spots, and I usually got overloads in one or 2 strongly held SVN provinces).
I don't think he really understood the mechanics, I could get him to way over-commit to a couple of NVN divisions and then the VC could do what it wanted. 5 seasons and I had gained 44 population for the VC. We called it at this point because he was moving and we were playing at his place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
Thanks I'll look into it, The issue I had is they were "flipped" from the initial Campaign scenario in the Vassal module.
Either the starting population values are reversed, or the labels are reversed. More likely the latter since I would assume the listing of provinces in the chart is supposed to follow the same order as the actual Population Control Sheet. I just change the values around at the beginning of every game.

One of these days I'd like to learn how to edit Vassal modules and fix the few errors this one has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls