Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell me based on their experience, how this bad boy plays with just two? Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
Can anyone tell me based on their experience, how this bad boy plays with just two? Many thanks.
The game plays very well with two. Both players must pay attention to the map very early in the game and the timing on consolidation is (arguably) even more important.

I'm biased, as you may well know but, we're two designers. How many times do you think we tested the game with 2 players?

have fun!

Paulo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not yet played this with two, but I could probably convince my wife to play it with me (she battered me in our first outing at 3, a fact that she is not letting me forget any time soon).

From my experience at 3 though, I can say that I don't think it will suffer too much. You won't have as much unpredictability in the meeple colours, but there will still be problems with trying to coordinate them as there will be less players for them to spread around.

The scoring I think will be very well handled as the foreign investors will be much more powerful at 2 (you can only cover up 2 sides on any tile, so they will continue to exert a lot of influence, possibly robbing you of 1st place a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Critical Meeple
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good evening,
have just played in two with my wife and we can say that it works very well. It is stick to the theme: I have lost because I didn't considered at all, the regional influences at first and second counting roud so I missed valuable points; it seems you have the space to follow other objectives but the regional influences are the most important one; main pillar of any winning strategy.
In two it's also surprising short, for a medium to heavy german: first game, looking at the rulebook for everything, takes 90 mins; setup and de-setup: easy and short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mb
My partner and I played Nippon for the first time last Friday night with three players, and again but with just the two of us on Saturday morning. The game was actually quite good as a two player game, which neither of us was expecting since there is a substantial area control component to the game. But different player counts appear to bring different, but equally satisfying, challenges.

For the record, we have played a lot of Madeira and Panamax as well before Nippon and are quite familiar with Nuno and Paolo's published designs. Neither of us believes that Panamax works very well for just two players because there is a substantial loss of conflict and interaction between players, and I don't believe Madeira works very well with two either, though my partner disagrees.

From my first impressions, I can definitely recommend Nippon for two players (though I think you should attempt to play it with more, to see what the game is really capable of!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls