Subject: AI Tactical command query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
designer
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit, I am a little confused with working out some of these AI orders.

I may or may have not worked this one out correctly, and would be very appreciative if someone would give me the thumbs up, or down, on my workings here.

I have drawn the below order...

The Priority orders are out.
So with the first Tactical ... I have deduced my "lowest DV unit closest to an AI" is my pinned rifle on the left.
The "highest FP AI farthest from..." first seems to be the carrier, but the pinned rifle is not in it's LOS.
In fact, the only AI with my pinned rifle in it's LOS is the German rifle 2 hexes to it's right. So that seems to be the "highest FP AI farthest from...".
Would it be right to surmise that that AI rifle would fire (with +1 cap) upon my pinned rifle unit?

...or have I got it completely wrong at some point, and should have moved onto the "Move towards" tactical order below?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the half-track had a LOS(blocked by terrain it seems), he would have fired.

You did correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it correct.
Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Haessler
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mb
Exactly my questions.But were in The rules i can find that?that The ai which fires must be The one who has LOS? By The way very very good Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LOS and its restrictions on firing are in the original AtB rules (section 6.0)
In the Solo Rules
Section 4.1.1 defines eligible AIs. It states that an eligible AI is any Unit that can execute a listed order.
If an AI does not have LOS, it is not an eligible Unit to fire. So the half track is not eligible to fire at the lowest DV Unit.
Section 4.1.3 states that tactical orders are only executed by eligible AI.
The rifle that you fired with was the only eligible AI.

The solo rules do not explicitly say AI who do not have LOS can't fire because this rule is stated in the normal AtB rules. AI fallow all the same rules as Units unless stated in the solo rules.
Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes a few plays before you are comfortable with the use of the AI cards.

But once you get the hang of it, it plays like a breeze. Much more fluid and faster than many other AI controlled games.

And yes: always look at the basic game to understand the underlaying concepts. It is how I saw the (excellent) videos on mission 2 contained an error on entering smoke hexes with vehicules. I hope the friendly author will upgrade these otherwise excellent videos in the coming weeks btw.

-----

I would say that the first 2 missions are now played in 30 minutes by me. Unheard for a game with card "bots" in smooth play.

I repeat it: best game of 2015, best general WW2 solo wargame system that finally bypassed Ambush.

And without any doubt this game system will be played instead of being locked in a closet by its owners.

Grtz to everyone involved during all these development years and I can only hope the next CoH expansions will have the same solo cards/rule expansions.

11/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Marius,
An AI order is executed only by a unit that can execute the order. Units that are unable to execute the order are ignored. From the rulebook:

4.1.1 Eligible AIs are:
Fresh AI that can execute a listed order.
Fresh or spent AI that can execute a listed Command Order (4.3).

So only AI that can execute an order are considered.

Ex: An order says that the AI closest to a Unit should fire at it.
The closest AI is 2 woods hexes away from the closest Unit, so has no LOS to the Unit, and so is ignored for the order.
The next closest AI is 5 hexes away from a Unit, which is in its Fire Zone. So this AI will fire, since it is the closest unit that can execute the order.

Hope this makes sense.
- Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I resolve this type of order (whether right or wrong) is as follows:

1. Identify all the units that can be fired upon.
2. Then of those units that can be fired upon, find the one with the lowest DV.
3. Then of all the AI units that can fire upon this lowest DV unit, choose the one that is farthest away.

As Benny says, once you get comfortable interpreting the rules, this AI system plays fast, without any table look-ups, etc. On occasion I have to stop and think for a few seconds, but the AI plays waaaaay faster than your average human. Its also way faster than playing both sides solo due to nearly complete elimination of analysis paralysis.

I am sure I make mistakes every now and then selecting the appropriate order, due to my haste to keep the game flowing. The nice thing about this system is that a few misinterpretations of orders here or there doesn't really matter. As long as you have a good rationale for the order I don't think there is any significant effect on the outcome, and the game plays out as "scripted". Of course, I strive to interpret the orders correctly, but heck, mistakes happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the help here guys.
Happy to hear my computations were correct.
I think I've got a reasonable grip on the fire orders now; my method seems to be in line with Lewis' above.

Now I just have to get my head around the move orders, ha ha; or more specifically, the move orders that involve vehicles (regarding bonus movement, when they should be allowed to enter specific terrain types, and the paths they should take) - but I'll pop my query/s re that in another post.

...once I have that all clear in my head I'm sure this game will run like greased lightening.

Great game (well worth the wait)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
minksling wrote:
Cheers for the help here guys.
Happy to hear my computations were correct.
I think I've got a reasonable grip on the fire orders now; my method seems to be in line with Lewis' above.

Now I just have to get my head around the move orders, ha ha; or more specifically, the move orders that involve vehicles (regarding bonus movement, when they should be allowed to enter specific terrain types, and the paths they should take) - but I'll pop my query/s re that in another post.

...once I have that all clear in my head I'm sure this game will run like greased lightening.

Great game (well worth the wait)
Just remember the moves of vehicules is like in the basic game. You only get bonus moves for the vehicules if they can enter the hexes described in the basic game. The illustrations in that basic rule book (page 12) describe perfectly when to use them and in which terrain.

See also the discussion we had on bonus movement in another thread (the video replays about entering smoke hexes were wrong). With a move command you can simply enter the first hex that gets you closer to the target, further bonus movement depends on the nature of the hexes after this first entrance.

Read also the difference between a normal move command and the low risk move with its restrictions summed up.

Have fun !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Haessler
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the clarification. Played last night for many hours. Man this game is great. You are right, once you get more and more the hang of it, it plays truly smooth and fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After trawling the forums for all the move related posts and re-reading the core and solo rules on that topic; I have to parrot Marius' comments ... I had several games last night (all mission 1) and didn't get caught up once having niggling thoughts of whether I was playing a rule correctly.

It all went as smooth as silk, sped along, and the AI orders were a joy to decipher.

Indeed Benny, I did have fun.

Congrats to John, Uwe and Gunter for a job well done!

Disclaimer: Strange situations may arise in the future, so please forgive me if at some point I query some oddity that may have cropped up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls