12 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Level 2 White Lion on year 3 (Some spoliers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
So, I decided to take a plunge and face a beast early on.

I came out with 2 survivors and a shitload of goodies.

This is just a brief overview with spoilers, but mainly here to show that with a shitload of luck, a level 2 can be taken on year 3 with your people.

Cruicial to this fight was a WL Cloak, a Catgut Bow, Dried acanthus, and Monster Grease.

The hunt phase sapped some survival from my guys, put Ground Fighting in play, and dumped a crapton of tokens onto my survivors. My tank with a rawhide armor set got nailed by a -Accuracy, Monster Grease x2 went on bowman and my tank, my secondary fighter got a WL Cloak (reduce damage by 1 to min. of 1,) and I had a crippled -1 Movement fighter with +1 event speed rocking a bow and bine darts.

Ground Fighting let me set up my guys. Investigated some terrain, moved archer up into position, placed my fighters.

For a while the battle went slowly. Attacks and misses, a few hits, some damage but nothing brutal. My guys moved out of the tall grass to press home some attacks.

Then everything gets ugly. Damage starts building up, but not on my rawhide tank, but on everyone else, especially my secondary fighter. Without his WL Cloak he would have bit it much, much sooner. Eventually, secondary fighter has his head asplode into gore and my tank finally gets some attention...when she's standing in the tall grass.

+3 To any and all monster to hit numbers. Eventually we landed a crit with -Accuracy tokens, so all survivors in tall grass automatically got that +3 hit mod. +4 if they had MGrease on.

Then my bowman started rocking. He had +speed from events, +2 strength, and +1 accuracy. By this time we'd herded the lion down into a corner near some grass in range to shoot from. No reactions drow him away, and my tank was out front soaking damage. Bowman just rocks it. Hits at least once, sometimes twice, with his strength he's getting +5 to wound, so he nearly always does. Burns through a lot of the AI, especially with the AI replaying the Ground Fighting due to an advanced AI draw and shutting down the Lion for a turn.

All things must end, however. Lion eventually gumps my bowman and rips him apart with a 1 speed, 3 damage attack. Which is 2 speed, 5 damage attack by now because of Lion level and critical injury tokens. We cut off the ding-dong...

Dude never had a chance. Dies horribly.

But! Lion was weakened enough for my remaining survivors to kite into the grass and eventually deafeatit. With a crippling injury or two along the way.

Lessons learned: Evasion to the max! Anything that makes my survivors harder to hit is awesome.

WL Cloak. Costs two White Fur to make and gives 0 armor, but its single effect is a blanket physical damage reduction. Like being able to dodge a single hit d6 on every attack. To a minimum of 1, of course.

Dried Acanthus. When fighting the Antelope, harvest the damn plants before attacking the monster. 1) Those plants heal the beast, making the fight harder. 2) The dried plants turn into gear that prevents a single roll on the severe injury table. That was crucial for my people in a few tough spots early in the fight.

Bow. If you can get the bow on a guy with some boosted speed and damage, he can rock the hell outta a level 2 Lion, especially if you can hide in the grass and protect him. Give him some bone darts so he can move and still attack, or give him a cat's eye amulet to study the deck.

Now going into a butcher fight with some decent gear sets to take on the first nemesis. 2 fully equipped tanks with rawhide, bandages, some WLion gear, at least one non-fragile weapon for every survivor.

Feelin' good about it. We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of hard to tell what was luck in there, that bowman seems like he just got a ridiculous number of buffs, and that amount of speed on anyone will make them strong.

I mean, it's impressive either way, but it sounds like you've gotten pretty lucky.

-Acanthus isn't that likely to actually acquire in quantity, especially in only 1 fight
-getting a bow out of 2 lion fights is also not great odds
-speed is a pretty rare buff to get
-ground fighting isn't always around

Also, what innovations did you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Buckley
msg tools
Seriously. I have a campaign on LY5 and we haven't even made a sickle yet. We'd love to, but it's hardly seemed like a Year One priority...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ng
Australia
Camberwell
Victoria
flag msg tools
FYI, you can't equip 2 monster grease. you are only allowed to have multiples of the same weapon. Not other equipment.

As you noticed evasion is good, and can imagine a survivor equipped with say 6 monster grease is pretty invinceable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Australia
flag msg tools
On the evasion note, I did the understanding exploit on the lion (legit by the written rules), got leyline walker on one of my survivors, rolled an extra evasion for one of her age or boldness items... and by the time she got to Kingsman was able to tank him in the grass without getting hit a single time (although he did manage to get lucky and burn through shield, forcing me to dodge a couple times).

Gonna be sad when she dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
It's kind of hard to tell what was luck in there, that bowman seems like he just got a ridiculous number of buffs, and that amount of speed on anyone will make them strong.

I mean, it's impressive either way, but it sounds like you've gotten pretty lucky.

-Acanthus isn't that likely to actually acquire in quantity, especially in only 1 fight

Also, what innovations did you have?
This fight was extreme luck. I'd forgotten to add that the Lion kill was due to a critical wound that suffocated it. He still had five AI left at time of death.

Acanthus was 100% legit. I never let the SAntelope graze, farmed them all before it could do so. Came back with 3 fresh acanthus. Kite it around and get the other survivors to harvest quickly. Its possible but you've got to move fast and forego attacks.

Lion bow isn't too hard to get as you might think. The toughest part to get is sinew, which was in my random drop from the prologue. I just kept the sinew in storage and made the bow once Catarium opened up. As I said, if I hadn't gotten the bow I likely wouldn't have gone for it. The bigger thing was the +strength boost from settlement events. He was wounding with a +5 to his rolls, which is where the actual damage came in. He still died in the end.

Speed buffs were part hunt events and part brain trauma. My secondary fighter had 2x speed buffs on him. He still died fast and didn't hit very much because he couldn't wound. Much rarer is a movement buff, did you mean that?

Only innovation in the settlement is language and ammonia.

For the others who've posted (sorry, I'm doing this all in one): the Monster Grease was spead out onto two survivors, not stacked on one. The lion was hit with a -accuracy token after a wound, which is the same as a +evasion on a survivor. Add that with the tall grass and natural buffs and it is possible to avoid a lot of damage.

You don't need a sickle to harvest acanthus. If you do have one the roll becomes 2d10 instead of 1d10. You need a sickle to add the special hunt event Herb Gathering to the hunt board, though.

This fight is definitely not recommended early on unless you are feeling lucky. The lion only died because of a critical hit with another critical hit event on the card. If that had not popped off, I likely would have died badly. I did it this early to get a good idea on how the scaling up between levels would be.

For more fun news: the butcher died, but only because it raped two of my survivors incessantly.

(Spoiler ahead!) it has a mood that priority targets a random survivor permenantly. For all time. Until they are dead. And Hack City was in the deck. I chose to stick it out and fight to the bitters, kiting with the priority. She died after a while, then the mood came BACK on another and I started kiting again. Burned 3 stones to hurt the bastard.

She died as well, but the frenzy trauma was working overtime on my remaining two guys, who could deal out massive attacks and actually hit the butcher by now.

It was another near-run thing. If I'd lost one more survivor before the death blow I would have lost the battle.

Gained one Butcher cleaver from the end. Population down to 8, and 4 of those are badly crippled. Time to go hunt level 1s until the population is on the rise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
spiralingcadaver wrote:
While I agree, there is an accumulation of luck over a few years at play… Ground Fighting has been more common for me than not - Mostly due to that hunt event… After 6 Lion hunts, I still haven't seen a few of the hunt events! Odds to draw GF during AI construction:
Lv01 - 3/9 Advanced AI (33%)
LV02 - 5/9 Advanced AI (55%)

When it comes to resources, I always think of "Random Results" in a deck shuffle as every single outcome being potentially equal. There's the same odds that everything is stacked at the top, ready to draw, as all the good stuff at the bottom of the deck. Just like drawing the Trap top off the deck post-shuffle.

My last Lion fight gave me a bunch of stuff I'd been waiting for… Cat eye, Cat Bones, Lion Claw, Sinew.
I think someone claiming to have a full Lion Kit at LY03 would be incredulous… that's a ton of resource investment...

Acanthus is one of the most populous cards in the Terrain deck. Possible to have snagged one against the first L1 Lion, and processed it into dried before the fight.

While Speed is coveted and rare, it happens. How? That's a good question, as Milestone 3 has speed as a 2d10 result for the first time in Age...
To gain Speed on a Hunt event would be very fortuitous… usually, you're looking at damage, death, or something else unpleasant during Hunt.

A few misplayed rules, coupled with superb luck, and yeah, anyone can take down a L2 Lion in LY03!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I don't get it then.

I mean, any monster is pretty likely to be killable if you keep rolling well and the monster keeps rolling poorly.

Just a random anecdote or what? I'm sorry, but the lessons learned section should be "anomalous luck is anomalous."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Luck was important, yes, but this fight was very possible. If I'd kept more into the tall grass rather than pressing home some of my attacks I might have made it back with more survivors.

None of the rules were misplayed.

Ground fighting came out through a hunt event.

I did not have a full WLion armor kit. I had one full rawhide kit, and various WLion gear.

The lessons learned were not anecdotal references for other players who've already figured this out; they are "Yes! I survived because I learned some good ideas and Jesus I did not expect this to work!"

That's why this post is up in Sessions, not strategy.

Edit: Armored Strangers kills 5 population. Intimacy kills 2 more. Remaining 3 are broken back cripples and one healthy survivor. Settlement declared lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I shuffle the life out of these cards and see Ground Fighting far too often I would also gladly swap those Bows for a single piece of fur. Something I fear I may never acquire.

It's one of many things I like about the game, wondering what I will find and being excited when I get something I haven't had before.

Now if only I could remember we get a bonus when attacking it from behind... 4 fights in I only just realised I hadn't use it once in all my attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roselius
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
IASeldon wrote:
None of the rules were misplayed.
(Super necro, sorry!)

My impression is you only know misplayed rules once you've learned the right ones. For example, only one card in the Butcher's entire hit location deck is crit woundable - founding stones are literally burned for no gain against him against the other 14 (which is dumb, but I digress). It's definitely possible you stoned him 3x after cat eye circleting, but just fyi!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
I have to thank Kingdom Death: Monster for finally knowing the exact number of penises I can tolerate in a miniature (surprisingly, that number is not zero)
badge
We used to call the Prodigal Sorcerer "the antiaesthetic one" when we played MtG in 1995. I still think this is the better definition.
mbmbmbmbmb
well, it was not possible until recently, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls