Popular Tags: [View All]
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I got my pledge last Saturday and so far I'm very pleased with it. The minis are very detailed and the cards are linen-finished, which saves me from sleeving them. I already wrote the correct page numbers on the AC, and I don't see how this is a biggie for some.

I read the rulebook yesterday; it seems streamlined with enough meat to make it enjoyable, with a focus on gameplay and fun (I found Descent 2nd ed a bit on the too many rules/too much going on side/long), but this one feels about right (haven't played solo yet).

I have a single question about the core set rules, about command cards:

The overlord is allowed to play 1 command card per turn. As there 3 phases each round, and each hero's activation is also its turn, it gives a total of 6 turns:

hero turns: 4 + overlord turn: 1 + end of round: 1 = 6
But the overlord cannot play a command card on the first hero having the initiative (last paragraph on page 8). So can he play a total of 5 command cards in a round, or the end of round does not count, so a limit of 4?

If this is correct, can he potentially choose to activate a given model 4 times in a round?
Any clarification on how to use command cards most welcome, as I think I'm missing something here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
That is correct (however would require him to have at least 3 interrupt cards in hand at the same time and spend them all on that).

-Martin

Echtalion wrote:
Hi,
I got my pledge last Saturday and so far I'm very pleased with it. The minis are very detailed and the cards are linen-finished, which saves me from sleeving them. I already wrote the correct page numbers on the AC, and I don't see how this is a biggie for some.

I read the rulebook yesterday; it seems streamlined with enough meat to make it enjoyable, with a focus on gameplay and fun (I found Descent 2nd ed a bit on the too many rules/too much going on side/long), but this one feels about right (haven't played solo yet).

I have a single question about the core set rules, about command cards:

The overlord is allowed to play 1 command card per turn. As there 3 phases each round, and each hero's activation is also its turn, it gives a total of 6 turns:

hero turns: 4 + overlord turn: 1 + end of round: 1 = 6
But the overlord cannot play a command card on the first hero having the initiative (last paragraph on page 8). So can he play a total of 5 command cards in a round, or the end of round does not count, so a limit of 4?

If this is correct, can he potentially choose to activate a given model 4 times in a round?
Any clarification on how to use command cards most welcome, as I think I'm missing something here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
The overlord is allowed to play 1 command card per turn.
The overlord can play 1 command card per [b]overlord turn[b]. All the heroes have their turns, then the overlord gets a turn.

It is only if the overlord has an interrupt card that he can play between hero turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Benson has it right. Clear and simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Troll66 wrote:
Benson has it right. Clear and simple.
Yes, they have to be interrupt cards of course! Other overlord cards can't be played out of the overlords turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and first and fourth hero can NOT be interrupted, so the theoretical maximum number of command cards the OL can play on each round is 3 (1 on his turn and 2 interrupt cards on (after) hero 2 and hero 3 turn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbione wrote:
first and fourth hero can NOT be interrupted
Are interrupt cards played *during* a hero's turn or *between* two heroes' turns? I get that you can't interrupt *before* the first hero, nor after the last (fourth) but the Overlord should be able to play between the 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 heroes' turns, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can interrupt between each hero's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
sabbione wrote:
first and fourth hero can NOT be interrupted
Are interrupt cards played *during* a hero's turn or *between* two heroes' turns? I get that you can't interrupt *before* the first hero, nor after the last (fourth) but the Overlord should be able to play between the 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 heroes' turns, yes?

yes, my bad, the OL cannot interrupt before first hero and after 4th one.

INTERRUPT CARDS wrote:

These are played in between two Hero Turns, after one Hero has completed their Turn and before the next begins. The Overlord immediately gets to Move and Act with the number of models listed on the card, one at a time. This is not the Overlord’s Turn and therefore these models may Move and Act again either by using extra Interrupt cards later in the Round, or during the Overlord’s Turn.
You cannot play an Interrupt card before the first Hero’s Turn, or after the last Hero’s Turn in that Round. In addition, you cannot play two interrupt cards in a row without a Hero taking their Turn between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in order:
1.- 1 interrupt command card after 1st hero's turn
2.- 1 interrupt command card after 2nd hero's turn
3.- 1 interrupt command card after the 3rd hero's turn
4.- 1 command card during the overlord's turn

All clear now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
All clear now
- ONE Interrupt AFTER the 1st hero, before the 2nd hero.
- ONE Interrupt AFTER the 2nd hero, before the 3rd hero.
- ONE Interrupt AFTER the 3rd hero, before the 4th hero.
- ONE regular Overlord Command Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls