Hide
14 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cards with only one token rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shayne Hull
msg tools
So Paralyzing Breath that came with the Silver Dragon and System Shock and Searing Flames from the starter set all come with only one token. Other cards, e.g. Slow Breath from the starter, come with multiple tokens.

My understanding is that Paralyzing Breath, System Shock and Searing Flames should all be able to be used multiple times, hence the need to put hourglass tokens on them. If you could only use them once then they should be destroyed or disabled. Why would they need the hourglass tokens?

So why only one token? It's hard to keep track of which figures are affected by the ability without multiple tokens.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Huttner
United States
Mount Crawford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can only target one creature with those 'chaser' cards.

I do love me some searing flames though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Karlsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
As stated the "chaser" cards System Shock & Searing Flames can only affect one creature at the time.

Paralyzing Breath, on the other hand, should come with three effect tokens. At least it does in the regular Silver Dragon expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
My original question stands: If it's one use only, why put an hourglass on Searing Flames? What's the point of that if I can't use it for the rest of the game anyway? Nothing on the Searing Flames card tells me it's a once only use. It simply says you can target 1 enemy creature in the combat phase. So each combat phase, as long as I've removed the hourglass, I should be able to target 1 enemy creature. That's how I read it.

Also, why would one hourglass have any game effect as it comes straight off in the end phase?

I double checked and I did only get 1 Paralysis token with the Silver Dragon. The replacement form on the WizKids website only allows me to order 1 more Paralysis token, taking my total to only 2 tokens.

I'm really enjoying this game, but these minor flaws are very annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Karlsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Besides effects that lasts for the rest of the turn a single duration token is used for two things. Either as a sort of disable on effects that is intended to be used only once per turn regardless of how many opportunities that the Creature has to activate it that turn.

It is also used for delayed effects. All delayed effects in this game is created as a continuous effect. As a continuous effect is only active as long as there is at least one duration token on the card it wont work without that duration token.

In the case of Searing Flames the duration token is there due to the delayed effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Dungeon Alliance Champions (October 2019)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mirandir wrote:
A single duration token is used for two things. Either as a sort of disable on effects that is intended to be used only once per turn regardless of how many opportunities that the Creature has to activate it that turn.

It is also used for delayed effects. All delayed effects in this game is created as a continuous effect. As a continuous effect is only active as long as there is at least one duration token on the card it wont work without that duration token.

In the case of Searing Flames the duration token is there due to the delayed effect.
Johan is correct. Essentially, the duration token on Searing Flames means "You are now on fire. During the end phase, you are going to take 1 more damage, and then this effect goes away."

Searing Flames can be used multiple times per game. Bradley meant that you can only use it against one creature at a time, even if you hit multiple creatures with the same breath weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
Thanks for the replies. I'm still quite confused. I thought the hourglass tokens were to determine when you can use the effect again. I can't see where it says on Searing Flames, for example, that the hourglass token represents the duration of the effect. I was sure the hourglass tokens represent the effect recharging for another use. The rules for Duration Tokens on page 24 of the rulebook only talk about not being able to activate the upgrade again until the tokens are all removed. It says nothing about effect expiring.

How do you tell the difference? What is it that tells me that Searing Flames' effect only counts as long as there's an hourglass token on the card? I've read the card text so many times and can't see this. Especially since it says "Continuous Effect". One time doesn't seem to be "continuous" to me.

The only clue I can find is that they're called duration tokens, implying they represent the duration of the effect. This could be much clearer if it is true and page 24 of the rulebook could specifically say that the effect runs out when the tokens do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Duration Tokens serve two purposes: to let you know when you can activate it again, and, if a Continuous Effect is involved, how long the Effect lasts.

The second function is explained in detail on page 25 under "Continuous Effects and Effect Tokens".

In particular:

"During the End Phase (or at any other time), if an Upgrade loses its last [DT], the Continuous Effect ends and the corresponding Effect Token(s) are removed from the play area and placed back on top of their corresponding Upgrade Card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Karlsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
It's found on page 25 in the rulebook. The text uses the symbol instead pf the name so it can't be found when searching the PDF on "duration token".

Quote:
During the End Phase (or at any other time), if an Upgrade loses its last [Duration Token], the Continuous Effect ends and the corresponding Effect Token(s) are removed from the play area and placed back on top of their corresponding Upgrade Card.
Edit:Ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
Thanks heaps. This actually makes a lot more sense than how we've been playing it with the effects never ending. Clears up a lot. Though, it would seem I was meant to recieve 3 Paralysis Tokens with the Silver Dragon, not just the 1 I did recieve. I've emailed WizKids about this as I can only order 1 more via their online form.

Again, thanks heaps for clearing this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Silver Dragon should come with 3 Paralysis Tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Huttner
United States
Mount Crawford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is odd that you are missing two tokens for Paralysis Breath, and I can see how that would be confusing. I think they were together on the cardboard. Ask your frinds if they accidently picked up some of your pieces.Ive ended up with extra movement dials and range rulers before after a gameday and have had to figure out who they belonged to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
I contacted WizKids (3 times now) and they have been adamant that the Silver Dragon only comes with 1 Paralysis Token. I've emailed them back and asked how I'm meant to give "EACH affected Creature... a Paralysis Token" if I only have 1 token. I'm awaiting a reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Huttner
United States
Mount Crawford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
https://youtu.be/LeKaGUWJV-o

Unboxing video on youtube.