Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for recommendations for the best heavy-ish solo games. This has been discussed before of course, but many new games have come out since. Have any new games broken through in this category?

Games on my radar currently: Fields of Arle, Caverna, Agricola, Gates of Loyang, Mage Knight, Scythe (upcoming), Neanderthal/Greenland, La Granja, Robinson Crusoe, Snowdonia. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is one of the best for sure, as is Robinson Crusoe.

I also think the following (while not new, but most of your radar list isn't, so...) are awesome for solo play and definitely more of the heavy kind:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Galaxy Defenders

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks! To clarify, I don't mean they have to be new games. I was just wondering if anything new and tasty has been released (or is coming) that I've missed.

Maybe Shadowrun Crossfire? I forgot Imperial Settlers, which I enjoy solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games with new expansions in 2015:
Firefly: The Game (has solo mode)
Eldritch Horror (can be played solo with two or more investigators)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seamo66 wrote:
Maybe Shadowrun Crossfire?
I'm not sure how well this one plays solo... it's more of a four player game, really.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Pep from Watch it played do a live solo perescope and it seemed ok???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrun Crossfire plays great solo - I prefer using all four players but you can also play as a two-player game. The way the game handles deckbuilding makes it quite easy to play multi-handed (new cards goes into your hand, for instance). I have all hands lying visible on the table. All players are involved in each other's obstacles anyways, so a solo play is not very different from the multiplayer IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seamo66 wrote:
I was just wondering if anything new and tasty has been released (or is coming) that I've missed. :)
D-Day at Peleliu. If you're so inclined, don't miss this chance:

EDIT: but of course, Mage Knight is a top choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider it heavy rules-wise but The King's Armory is definitely long and satisfying for any numbers 1-7. It is a great tower defense game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemo's War for a true solo experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day at Omaha Beach
Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations
Field Commander: Napoleon
Thunderbolt Apache Leader

Not sure if real life war is your thing but these are good.

-zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent War. Full Campaign only takes 40 hours or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JCV
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gallerist Includes a solo mode. I haven't played my copy yet but from what I gather it's a fairly heavy game.

You should probably also ask these friendly folks
https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/view/1303

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dereck Sherrer
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleepstupid wrote:
The Gallerist Includes a solo mode. I haven't played my copy yet but from what I gather it's a fairly heavy game.
I'm so excited for this one! I'm a huge fan of Lacerda's games and I love CO₂ which has a great official solo variant too.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a great way to play Vinhos well as just one player yet. I wish I could get that one to the table more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just released in the last 6 months

Enemy Action: Ardennes - A Butterfield masterpiece

Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion - maybe not as heavy as you might be looking for

Mage Knight is also a no brainer. Especially if you prefer fantasy over war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one was only recently Kickstarted, but it might be a good one to have on your radar:

The 7th Continent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Perhaps not everyone's topic of interest for a game, but Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic is beautifully produced and requires many tough decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, you haven't suggested any wargames, but if you're looking for a conflict game that is the halfway point between that genre and heavy Euros, a lot of the GMT releases by Volko Ruhnke are magnificent.

In my mind, Labyrinth (if you can get your hands on it) is the best, but the COIN games are good too, and Fire in the Lake has the added benefit of actually being available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dereck Sherrer
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention Navajo Wars. Just released in 2013 and it's pretty amazing. I'm not much of a wargamer, but I wouldn't consider this a typical wargame. Lots of brain burning decisions, very tough to beat and a really cool theme that doesn't feel pasted on. I would definitely check it out if you can get your hands on a copy. Some people suggest that the rulebook can be tough to get through (like some GMT games), but I followed the tutorial game and it's easy to understand the flow of the game but it will certainly take a couple plays (I need more) before you really get a grasp on the different strategies. Well worth it and one of my favourite solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
England
Newcastle under lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight has to be *1 with Robinson Crusoe *2

Caverna, Agricola and that type of game NEVER worked for me as solo's

Thunderbolt Apache Leader was a solo game that was recommended to me when I asked 12+ months ago and although it was not my usual type of game I have found it to be excellent after I'd finally worked out the rules properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Orr
United States
Saugerties
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies, lots of new stuff for the Christmas list. I have not tried war games yet, but will definitely check them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derecksherrer wrote:
Sleepstupid wrote:
I'm so excited for this one! I'm a huge fan of Lacerda's games and I love CO₂ which has a great official solo variant too.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a great way to play Vinhos well as just one player yet. I wish I could get that one to the table more often.
There is no good way to play Vinhos!

I love Roads and Boats! Excellent Solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seamo66 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, lots of new stuff for the Christmas list. I have not tried war games yet, but will definitely check them out!
If you are new to wargames don't miss on Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Operation Barbarossa 1941 (second edition) along with Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion.

Best solo system of 2015 by far. Hands down.

Actually there is no comparaison in solo wargames at the moment with the same smooth/easy play for both beginners and more advanced wargamers.

The solo expansion is brand new and I played 18 sessions in less than a month. After a few plays the AI cards are handled with ease and the sessions range between 30 minutes and 3 hours.

Forget the AI in games like Gears of War or other solo games. This AI ATTACKS and is agressive with dynamic movement and defense systems, all along an open board with hidden/untested units. From mechanised to infantry units the system glides smoothly between all kinds of missions that are endlessly replayable.

German Gründlichkeit.

In the non wargaming world I would prefer Eldritch Horror because it has one of the best rule books ever written. It has much better story telling than a Zombies game and the first time my son played it, he said he had the urge to view a movie on the same subject. Great FFG components too.

EH is like reading a good book or a watching a movie unfold. Solo play is a dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls