Space Hulk (fourth edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: to buy or not to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently having a nice offer for this game and it looks gorgeous... i like miniature games and i like dungeon crawling my only reservation as stupid as it may sound is that there is only one evil boss(brood lord) in this game? i like my games to have plenty of evil bosses cause just one makes the game quite linear.... i i would like your opinions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Iván
Chile
Santiago de Chile
Region Metropolitana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the box components, there's a lot of genestealers. They're the monsters. They attack you every.single.time.they.can. They're everywhere. They don't let you play. They don't let you breath. They spawn every turn. They grow in number every time you're not looking.

On those escenarios in which the Broodloord plays, you hope he doesn't be near you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SH isn't really a dungeon-crawl. It's a claustrophobic, scenario-based miniatures battle game.
As the Space Marines you will have a goal. The Genestealer (alien) player will be throwing as many aliens as they can between you and that goal. The aliens are faster than you and brutal in melee combat, but you have ranged weapons - they don't.

Not sure if this one is your cup of tea, but it is a great game. Check out some gameplay videos on YouTube and see if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ive seen some videos and the game looks very interesting... another question if u run out of senarios does it loose its replayability? are there any custom senarios? will there ever be an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic game - I highly recommend. The timer mechanic for the space marine player is something i find really compelling. I lost a game, essentially, by being under pressure and not realizing the hourglass was out. My nephew pounced on me the next turn, crippling my squad (I think he took out three marines) and it was...ahem...game over, man, game over...

As for expansions, there are older expansions for the original versions. I also know that Games Workshop has current expansions available on the Apple store (sorry...no Android). I'm an Android user, so I can't speak to them, but I've heard they add in other types/chapters of space marines.

Love the game. Doesn't hit the table as much as I wish, but seems like even if the same scenario gets played, it hasn't been boring or repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
svranes wrote:
Classic game - I highly recommend. The timer mechanic for the space marine player is something i find really compelling. I lost a game, essentially, by being under pressure and not realizing the hourglass was out. My nephew pounced on me the next turn, crippling my squad (I think he took out three marines) and it was...ahem...game over, man, game over...

As for expansions, there are older expansions for the original versions. I also know that Games Workshop has current expansions available on the Apple store (sorry...no Android). I'm an Android user, so I can't speak to them, but I've heard they add in other types/chapters of space marines.

Love the game. Doesn't hit the table as much as I wish, but seems like even if the same scenario gets played, it hasn't been boring or repetitive.
thank you that was most helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure. Have fun with it! It's a classic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard Space Hulk described this way as well... "Easy to learn. Difficult to master." And I think that fits it perfectly. I love this game. It is one of my all-time favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the geekness flows strong in you why ask? Buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidallves wrote:
If the geekness flows strong in you why ask? Buy
i noticed that u are trading your copy can i ask why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they originally made this to feel like the aliens movie, and it does!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surf Imp
msg tools
Genestealers are all bosses. Let one get too close and you'll learn that the hard way!

It's a great game, it's what inspired me to get into Warhammer 40,000 about 25 years ago, and today it's still my favorite game set in that universe. IMHO an absolute classic with tons of replayability based on the stock missions, plus you can of course make up your own using the pieces provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls