United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight is making a game that covers the Star Wars saga, covering the strategic elements of the movies while also capturing the heroic deeds of our favorite characters.

I guess I won't be needing these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
France
Paris
Ile de France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xbjoernx wrote:

+ 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. They need to seriously mess this one up for me not buying it instantly. They had me at the artwork on the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this captures Star Wars like War of the Ring captures Lord of the Rings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sabbat wrote:
xbjoernx wrote:

+ 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Whapham
United States
Sunbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based off the description on this page, it sounds like it's similar to Forbidden Stars, but with Star Wars instead of WH40K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kal
msg tools
PoppaBear wrote:
Based off the description on this page, it sounds like it's similar to Forbidden Stars, but with Star Wars instead of WH40K.

This is what I'm expecting as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it sounds much more like other games - I'm not getting a Forbidden Stars vibe from this at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eyal Itsik
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AND it's being designed by Grand Moff Corey K... That's gonna be another solid 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope it´s not going to be as complex as RuneWars, though, neither in terms of set up nor in playtime...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalreborn wrote:
PoppaBear wrote:

This is what I'm expecting as well.

I don't see any command tokens for actions on those images. Or is there something else besides Forbidden Stars' unique action selection mechanism that makes these games so much alike?

Jamiri wrote:
Hope it´s not going to be as complex as RuneWars, though, neither in terms of set up nor in playtime...

Well, with the three to four hours playtime I think you're out of luck. Maybe setup will be faster, but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just the opposite. 3-4 hours playing time is a huge plus for me. It tells me the game is strategically similar to War of the Ring in depth of play. That's an extremely good thing. I don't need another short fluffy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
I don't see any command tokens for actions on those images. Or is there something else besides Forbidden Stars' unique action selection mechanism that makes these games so much alike?

Unless your leaders are the activation tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
I'm just the opposite. 3-4 hours playing time is a huge plus for me. It tells me the game is strategically similar to War of the Ring in depth of play. That's an extremely good thing. I don't need another short fluffy game.

Agreed. I hope it is as complex as RuneWars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:

What is a complex playtime? 180i minutes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Tjohei wrote:

Do they stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:
Tjohei wrote:

Do they stack?

I think I may have erred in my point on activation tokens. I haven't played Forbidden Stars yet, so I don't know what it uses for an activation token. I was thinking of activation tokens in Twilight Imperium 3 or Runewars sense, in that "This is the thing that indicates that you've done stuff here."

Additionally, the leader tokens have the same symbols on them as the mission cards have the same symbols on them as the leader standees.

Warning, Pure Speculation: I think every turn/phase you lay down a mission for your leader and place the standee (or more than one?) in that space. "Han Solo attempts to sabotage in Bespin." I don't know what the resolution mechanic is, but that seems to be how the back-and-forth of the game work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
I think I may have erred in my point on activation tokens. I haven't played Forbidden Stars yet, so I don't know what it uses for an activation token. I was thinking of activation tokens in Twilight Imperium 3 or Runewars sense, in that "This is the thing that indicates that you've done stuff here."

Ah, ok. Forbidden Stars has a pretty unique action selection process, quite different from the activation tokens in Runewars.

robbbbbb wrote:
Warning, Pure Speculation: I think every turn/phase you lay down a mission for your leader and place the standee (or more than one?) in that space. "Han Solo attempts to sabotage in Bespin." I don't know what the resolution mechanic is, but that seems to be how the back-and-forth of the game work.

Well, I can also only speculate, but I don't believe you play a mission card on every leader every turn. Reading what they say, however, I believe leaders are activated each turn and that they can perform different actions, and only by activating leaders will you do actions on the board. Leaders seem to be central to the game experience. One action a leader can perform is attempt a mission.

Again only speculating, I believe the icon on the mission card determines what skill will be tested. Each leader has icons showing what skills they have. The number of skill icons on the leader standee matching the icon on the mission card is the number of dice you roll. The number on the mission card is the number of successes you need to accomplish the mission.

Assuming there is some truth to my speculations, this has me very excited. You have the big map with planets and ships and resources, all the grand strategy. But when you perform the key missions it gets personal and cinematic. It's Boba Fett planting that tracking device. It's Leia doing that sabotage! The contrast between those two is just... Wow!

I am, however, very curious about how leaders move around the map...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
Well, I can also only speculate, but I don't believe you play a mission card on every leader every turn. Reading what they say, however, I believe leaders are activated each turn and that they can perform different actions, and only by activating leaders will you do actions on the board. Leaders seem to be central to the game experience. One action a leader can perform is attempt a mission.

Again only speculating, I believe the icon on the mission card determines what skill will be tested. Each leader has icons showing what skills they have. The number of skill icons on the leader standee matching the icon on the mission card is the number of dice you roll. The number on the mission card is the number of successes you need to accomplish the mission.

Assuming there is some truth to my speculations, this has me very excited. You have the big map with planets and ships and resources, all the grand strategy. But when you perform the key missions it gets personal and cinematic. It's Boba Fett planting that tracking device. It's Leia doing that sabotage! The contrast between those two is just... Wow!

I am, however, very curious about how leaders move around the map...

I think we're on the right track here. I think you're right that the mission icons have something to do with the "success rating" bit of it. I don't know if you roll that number of dice, or if the number of icons is a bonus to the dice roll.

Maybe leaders don't move around the map. Maybe, like the Runewars/TI3 activations, you pick 'em up every turn, and you can deploy them anywhere on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
It might also be similar to Middle Earth Quest. With more bells and whistles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.