Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Epic, and I played about 25 games in the two weeks since I got it (which is a lot for me with my limited time). I would like to share some of my strategy thoughts; some of them are adapted from MtG, and some might not even be true. But I hope I can start an interesting and helpful discussion.

1. Card advantage is king
Cards are the most valuable resource in Epic. „Card advantage“ means that you have access to more cards than your opponent does. You can achieve this by drawing more cards than your opponent, or by using one of your cards to get rid of several of your opponent's cards. If your opponent has 5 champions in play and you have none, playing a mass removal spell like Apocalypse, Inheritence of the Meek or Hurricane will generate card advantage.
If you can run your opponent out of cards in hand while you still have options, you are in a very good position.

2. Try to get the most out of your cards
This is a direct consequence of the card advantage concept. If you have a mass removal spell like Apocalypse, wait until you get many opposing champions with it as possible. Try to lure your opponent into overcommitting. Make him use a lot of cards to get into a good position, then wipe the board when it looks like you are down.
Similarly, wait until you can kill at least 2, preferrably 3 champions with Rain of Fire.
If at all possible, always wait until you can activate Loyalty, and don't use your Recycle cards if you can't Recycle.

3. Always spend your coin each turn if possible
This should be obvious. Since you cannot save your coins for future turns, you should (almost) always try to make use of your precious resource. Don't be afraid to draw two cards with your Hurricane if you don't need the damage effect right now and if you don't have anything else to do with your coin.
There is an important exception to this rule: If it’s your turn and you are ahead with your champions in play, it is a good idea to try to pass the turn if your opponent hasn’t spent his coin yet. If he doesn't do anything, you both waste a coin which is good for you since you are in a better position. If your opponent uses his coin, you now get the opportunity to use yours as well, and you have some additional information that will help you decide which card to play.

4. Don’t be afraid to lose a few health points
One of the most common mistakes of new players is overvaluing their health. See your health as a resource rather than a score. It doesn't matter if you win at 1 health or at 50, it only matters that you have more than 0. Losing cards is usually worse than losing a little health, so consider taking a little damage instead of blocking your opponent's 4/4 with your 2/2; you might have a better use for it next turn.

5. Try baiting out your opponent’s removal

At the start of the game, your opponent will usually have access to some form of removal. So try baiting it out with champions that you don't mind losing as much. Raging T-Rex is a great example of this, as it should draw you two cards thanks to Loyalty. It is also big enough that your opponent should do something about it.
In contrast, Angel of Mercy is a card that you really don't want to lose immediately, so try to hold on to it until your opponent can't deal with it immediately.

6. Mulligan cards that don’t have an immediate impact
You really want to start the game with a card for your first turn and for your opponent's first turn (ambush creature or an effect that draws 2 cards), and preferrably a removal spell, too. What you don't want is cards that offer their full potential only after several turns. This includes many cards with recycle; Word of Summoning should only be played in desparation if you can't Recycle.
Courageous Soul is only really good if you have ways to create lots of champions (usually tokens).

These are just a few general hints and certainly not the be all, end all to Epic strategy. I hope you will find it useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is good advice for newbies!

For point 6 (mulligans) I'd like to add that you should keep an eye on the casting cost. It's always tricky when you only have cards that cost 1. Normally, I'm happy when I have three or four 1's and one or two 0's in my opening hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
This very, very sound advice.

- Nathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Thonotosassa
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Shamelessly looking for a citizenship star!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very general and excellent advice. I think most of this becomes evident after only a few plays. And it's nice to discover these things on your own. However, sometimes things get missed and it's nice to have the crib notes on basic strategy. I needed it for Star Realms. I kept trying to slow play the game and I never appreciated how fast it moves until reading strategy tips. It was a well thought-out strategy thread like this that propelled me up the levels.

Epic is fast, but not "what the? It's over?" fast like Star Realms. So I was able to acclimate to the game much easier.

Also, some gamers play TONS of games and don't have the time or desire to analyze the strategy of some games even though they are more than capable. Having a thread like this jump starts the learning curve and allows experienced gamers to benefit from someone else's observations and allow for fairly advanced play provided you apply the strategy correctly.

So again, excellent advice. Hopefully newer gamers (noob and vet) read it and it allows them to skip over the small learning curve and allow for some more strategic games.

I might also ad that, as with most card games, the sooner you get familiar with the cards the better. At least how specific card mechanics affect the game in general. This allows for deeper gameplay as well.

Thanks for putting that effort in. Great advice and very well articulated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
Great advice! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls