Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple relatives, one 12 year old and a 9 year old who have started to get into Star Wars, much to my approval. They both have their birthdays coming up. I was looking for a game that would be good for them that they could enjoy now and also in 5 years down the road. They haven't played a lot of games but I did introduce them to Dixit, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, and Ticket to Ride and they really liked those. Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
X-Wing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Risk: Star Wars Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe too easy of a game for the 12 year old, but if others want an easy game, Star Wars: Episode 1 – Clash of the Lightsabers is worth a try. I know it's more of a mass market game, but it's an easy, quick game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Me
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – The Force Awakens Core Set

If they are going to see the new movie they can play with the ships from the new movie, which should be fun. They also have Rebels ships coming out of they like those:

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Ghost Expansion Pack

The rules are fairly simple, and it comes with 2 players out of the box.

Warning though, it is an expansion based game, so it may start a desire for more and more ships which may or may not be an issue depending upon their disposition. On the other hand, it gives you gift ideas for years to come!

There is also this small game:

Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion

It's fairly simple and fairly inexpensive in case it falls flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it is only available in Europe, but we just got two copies of Star Wars Carcassone. Yeah, it is a pasted on theme, but a great start to an old classic game. Plus, it has COMBAT!

We found it here for €17 or just under $20. Could be worth almost any shipping - or... If I'm your secret Santa I'll drop my extra copy of it in your Christmas box as a bonus!

Although my newly 10 and my 14 y/o love playing Imperial Assault, I wouldn't recommend if there isn't an adult to help them thru it. I do support x-wing recommendations. Even just the starter set. Couple of ways to play with just those three ships that are all fun and easy to understand. Add a few more ships for birthdays and you'll have them off tv and completely unplugged in no time!

-Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Looks like X-wing may be the way to go. I'll have to call and warn their parents I'm about to change their lives...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Ludrick
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
X-Wing is great and only for two players, but as a miniatures game the big drawback is feeling the need to constantly buy more ships. Star Wars: Imperial Assault is more of a board game with miniatures and has a skirmish mode for two players, but it's real strength comes in the campaign mode, which is doable with 2 but best with 4-5. I've played both of these extensively, and I would probably recommend X-Wing for two boys at that age, maybe the new core set and the falcon or some other expansion thrown in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
X-Wing is actually a favorite of my 7 year old daughter. We play the simple rules version but she loves it.

For that age, I think the core set would last a while and if they really like it, well, you are set for gift ideas for the next couple of years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for the Star Wars Carcassonne for a Christmas gift especially if there is combat involved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtompkins wrote:
Thanks everyone! Looks like X-wing may be the way to go. I'll have to call and warn their parents I'm about to change their lives...

X-Wing is a great game. Not having children myself, my only potential concern would be that they might fight over who gets to play what side (most likely both rebel terrorist sympathizers) and some of the models are a bit delicate (X-Wing in particular). I'd certainly recommend a simple, durable storage solution when, not if, they start expanding the collection.

Edit: As for recommendations on what do get, first pick out the starter set that they would most connect with. If they love old star wars and love Luke and R2-D2, get the old one. It's pilots and ships are iconic and are more simple to fly than the new ones. If they are more excited for the new film, and have little connection with the old stuff get the new one. For the second purchase get the other starter set! They have no duplicate ships/pilots across them, giving you brand new toys to play with, plus the extra dice and movement templates will make gameplay much smoother, especially for two players who are likely sharing the collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XWing.

Since they both have a birthday coming up, get a core set for each, probably the some one for each (I wouldn't mix core sets right away). That will give them both more variety to play with.

And contrary to what was said above, you can easily play with more than 2 by simply dividing the points in teams. My first game of Xwing was 2v2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Epic Duels is a great, light game that I think they would enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambersilk wrote:
I'm looking for the Star Wars Carcassonne for a Christmas gift especially if there is combat involved

Combat... Well yes-ish. You can't occupy the same area but if you end up in the same area of control when completed instead of splitting victory points you battle for control (roll dice). Also, there are planets that score for every tile around it. Any time you place one of those 8 other tiles you can invade the planet (roll dice).

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Armada if they like pushing big capital ships.

I'd hold out until later for Star Wars: Rebellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.