Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » General

Subject: Is anyone working on a tablet-friendly version of the announcer app? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The official app is too resource-hungry to run on an Android emulator on anything but the most powerful of tablets.
All we need is boxes to check to play a selection of audio files. Since the designer has demonstrated quite a hostile attitude towards anyone asking for non-Android/iOS implementation, has anyone else made a more generally useful version? Is anyone working on one? I saw one Reddit user made some Youtube videos with a few setups, but that's a fairly impractical solution.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Silver now from beziergames.com
badge
Silver
Avatar
Microbadge: Silver fanMicrobadge: Werewords Deluxe EditionMicrobadge: Bézier Games fanMicrobadge: Werebeasts fanMicrobadge: The Palace of Mad King Ludwig fan
There just aren't a reasonable number of users to warrant development of the app on other platforms. The odds of even a small group of One Night players where no one has an Android or iOS device capable of running the app are very tiny. That's not hostile, it's math.

Unfortunately, the development isn't as simple as checkboxes and audiofiles. There's a great deal of logic required to allow the app to play the audio files based on the roles selected.

The app works on a wide variety of Tablets and phones, both Android and iOS.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I would love to have web-based solution (as my PC speakers are much louder than smartphone speakers), I have to agree with Ted. Complexity of this app seems to grow exponentially with number of One Night games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As an Android developer, I'm definitely in favor of native apps, and I'm really glad that the Android and iOS apps appear to be well made, and not just webviews with a crappy web app inside of them. I appreciate the design and development effort that went in to creating them.

Having said that, it shouldn't be too much work to replicate the character selection and playing of audio files in a web-based format.
If someone [had permission to do so, and they] were to decompile the app, they could likely get the audio files and maybe even be able to reuse some of the audio file selection logic to create web-based version of it...
Someone would need a bit a free time to do this though...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone that says that the logic behind playing the audio files is simple has not seen the logic tree that was posted by the designer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Erfesoglou
msg tools
I could probably make a PC version of the app if that is what is requested? I've already remade the game for PC and could probably reuse some code to get just the basic timer down with the audio.
Might not be as fully featured but maybe down the road.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nonlin wrote:
I could probably make a PC version of the app if that is what is requested? I've already remade the game for PC and could probably reuse some code to get just the basic timer down with the audio.
Might not be as fully featured but maybe down the road.
That would be awesome!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
az933k wrote:
Anyone that says that the logic behind playing the audio files is simple has not seen the logic tree that was posted by the designer.
That would be a great place to provide a link

I have no doubt that the logic for selecting the correct audio sequence could be rather complex, but once it's been written out in one language (Java or Objective C), it shouldn't be overly difficult to reproduce the same logic in another language, like javascript.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:
There just aren't a reasonable number of users to warrant development of the app on other platforms. The odds of even a small group of One Night players where no one has an Android or iOS device capable of running the app are very tiny. That's not hostile, it's math.
A rough Venn diagram:

Red = population
Green = smartphone users
Grey = smartphone users without Android/iOS
Chances of a small group of people all falling into the red group = fairly good

Your "not hostile" "math"-based responses based on "tiny" odds are either American-centric or rather narrow-minded. I'd say, given a previous thread in which you snarkily mentioned Microsoft employees, both of the above and hostile to boot. Anyway, this thread is for people willing to offer solutions, not for people to pointlessly deny that any solutions are needed. EDIT: OK, I know I did invite the rebuttal as it's your game and I called your attitude hostile, but this is a side issue and not the point of the thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Louisiana State UniversityMicrobadge: Low Player Count: a podcast about games for 1-2 playersMicrobadge: The Colonists (Die Kolonisten) fanMicrobadge: Musician
Benkyo wrote:
toulouse wrote:
There just aren't a reasonable number of users to warrant development of the app on other platforms. The odds of even a small group of One Night players where no one has an Android or iOS device capable of running the app are very tiny. That's not hostile, it's math.
A rough Venn diagram:

Red = population
Green = smartphone users
Grey = smartphone users without Android/iOS
Chances of a small group of people all falling into the red group = fairly good

Your "not hostile" "math"-based responses based on "tiny" odds are either American-centric or rather narrow-minded. I'd say, given a previous thread in which you snarkily mentioned Microsoft employees, both of the above and hostile to boot. Anyway, this thread is for people willing to offer solutions, not for people to pointlessly deny that any solutions are needed. EDIT: OK, I know I did invite the rebuttal as it's your game and I called your attitude hostile, but this is a side issue and not the point of the thread.
Do you have math to support your venn diagram? Does red include people who don't play boardgames? That seems like it might skew your estimate a bit...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it just easier to run night phase yourself? That is what I do...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Do you have math to support your venn diagram? Does red include people who don't play boardgames? That seems like it might skew your estimate a bit...
7.1 billion people, 1.5 billion smartphone users, of which 5% are not using Android/iOS. Of course there's no way to know what the crossover between board games and smartphones is, or how many of the smartphone users are fluent enough in English to play, etc. If that provides you with enough confidence to argue that nothing should be done about the current situation, feel free to roll with that.

If you are just, correctly, pointing out that statistics can be skewed any way you like, and that they have no meaningful role in this discussion, then yes, I agree. I provided it as a counterpoint to the assumption that only groups consisting of the 5% of non-android, non-iOS smartphone users are excluded from using the app.

Incidentally, I'd love to have an app I could swap out audio files for, to make playing with Japanese friends easier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Isn't it just easier to run night phase yourself? That is what I do...
Easier than an app that works? It's certainly a viable solution, but if I'm also going to participate it requires more preparation than I'm willing to put in and/or more experience than I have. Sitting out of the game is a poor option with a low player count. I'll be honest I figured that taking the announcer role would be easy enough and I didn't realise how important a working app would be (for me).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love when people go out of their way to avoid the popular options for everything yet complain when they don't get support.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Psychotron7x2 wrote:
I love when people go out of their way to avoid the popular options for everything yet complain when they don't get support.
That's nice. How is that relevant here? I didn't address the thread to the designer, and I don't expect him to do anything. I think both would be required for this to qualify as "complaining". I also haven't gone out of my way to avoid the popular options for anything that comes to mind in connection with this thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Erfesoglou
msg tools
Here is my progress so far, made a new thread for it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20841712#20841712

I could very easily port this to IOS/Tablet, assuming it isn't hard or expensive to get a licence to make an app for Apple products.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nonlin wrote:
Here is my progress so far, made a new thread for it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20841712#20841712

I could very easily port this to IOS/Tablet, assuming it isn't hard or expensive to get a licence to make an app for Apple products.
Amazing, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Fast work too! Tested it out and works fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this: http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/12/80-of-all-online-adults-now..., 80% of internet users age 16-64 own a smartphone. The best solution for people that don't use the internet is to read the roles out loud.

Of people that can be delivered a solution via the internet, 80% have a smartphone. If 95% have Android or iOS as you say, that means 76% of the market in question already has a solution in hand. If four of those people get together to play, the odds that none of them are part of that 76% are 0.332%.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
If 95% have Android or iOS as you say, that means 76% of the market in question already has a solution in hand. If four of those people get together to play, the odds that none of them are part of that 76% are 0.332%.
While I appreciate the point, and agree with the premise, for the sake of pedantry, I should point out...
This result (0.332%) erroneously assumes that the people getting together are independent variables.

I would argue: People who can't afford, or resist modern technology are perhaps more likely to spend time with similar individuals.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
According to this: http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/12/80-of-all-online-adults-now..., 80% of internet users age 16-64 own a smartphone. The best solution for people that don't use the internet is to read the roles out loud.

Of people that can be delivered a solution via the internet, 80% have a smartphone. If 95% have Android or iOS as you say, that means 76% of the market in question already has a solution in hand. If four of those people get together to play, the odds that none of them are part of that 76% are 0.332%.
I honestly have no idea what you hoped to accomplish by this response. Trolling, I assume, but I'll take the bait anyway:
1) Smartphone penetration is still less than 50% in Japan among mobile phone users.
2) gmc14 makes a good point. For example, the odds of anyone in my family having a smartphone to hand is precisely zero.
3) The best solution for people that don't use the internet is (a) irrelevant, because who does that cover? and (b) would be a tablet-friendly app.
4) A user actually interested in helping rather than making noise has already provided me with a solution.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
...Trolling, I assume...
If you think that someone posting a dissenting opinion that includes sourced material and statistics is "trolling", stay away from the rest of the internet as it may be a little more rough than you might be used to, for your own safety.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
1) Smartphone penetration is still less than 50% in Japan among mobile phone users.
2) gmc14 makes a good point. For example, the odds of anyone in my family having a smartphone to hand is precisely zero.
3) The best solution for people that don't use the internet is (a) irrelevant, because who does that cover? and (b) would be a tablet-friendly app.
4) A user actually interested in helping rather than making noise has already provided me with a solution.
1. I'd be surprised if that were true, but any way, the numbers are global, so Japan is accounted for.
2. That's true. I don't know how to account for that. If you assume that a single person not having a popular mobile device changes the others from a .76 chance to a .5 chance (which, applied to 3 people, is pretty generous), the number goes from 0.332% to 3%. This is all napkin math, of course.
3. The point was that you were including starving african babies in your count. People who don't use the internet aren't looking for a tablet or PC version of a board game helper app.
4. Cool. I still get to say stuff about what's been said in this thread.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
1. I'd be surprised if that were true, but any way, the numbers are global, so Japan is accounted for.
2. That's true. I don't know how to account for that. If you assume that a single person not having a popular mobile device changes the others from a .76 chance to a .5 chance (which, applied to 3 people, is pretty generous), the number goes from 0.332% to 3%. This is all napkin math, of course.
3. The point was that you were including starving african babies in your count. People who don't use the internet aren't looking for a tablet or PC version of a board game helper app.
4. Cool. I still get to say stuff about what's been said in this thread.
Turns out you might be right about smartphone percentages in Japan. I was using data extrapolated from 2014: http://www.statista.com/statistics/257044/smartphone-user-pe...
More recent studies show a boom in 2015.
I agree the Venn diagram was a silly one, but perhaps it helped get my point across better, as the designer of ONUW since indicated a willingness to work with Nonlin to make the PC port official.
So, while I agree with your statistics (barring the obvious point that they are irrelevant), your remark about "people who don't use the internet" seemed to be a blatant attempt at trolling in a thread that had already reached a resolution. What relevance does "people who don't use the internet" have to anything in this thread? What is the connection between that, the statistics, and your opinion about the use of role cards? Perhaps your purpose wasn't trolling, but I hope you can understand why I jumped to that conclusion based on that remark.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
What relevance does "people who don't use the internet" have to anything in this thread? What is the connection between that, the statistics, and your opinion about the use of role cards? Perhaps your purpose wasn't trolling, but I hope you can understand why I jumped to that conclusion based on that remark.
LocutusZero wrote:
3. The point was that you were including starving african babies in your count. People who don't use the internet aren't looking for a tablet or PC version of a board game helper app.
In other words, the percentage of humans on Earth who don't own an Android or iOS device isn't as germane to the statistics as is the number of people who might look for a way to play this game with some sort of computerized help. The statistics I found were of people who use the internet, which, considering I didn't want to do more than a few minutes of googling, was a pretty good sample group.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I get it. You were offended by poor use of numbers. I should have known better - posting something like that on BGG is like waving a red flag to a bull. The fact that I had already acknowledged the inaccuracy of the numbers to the previous poster making the same point clearly wasn't sufficient. I suppose I can look forward to repetitions of this conversation from other BGG users for as long as it takes for this thread to die.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |