Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi! In the rulebook of the german version, there are 3 advanced rules:

1: The start player can win one of his ties in a round (stacking on top of the pile)

2: The players which received a bonus of the Gallantry track have to move backwards 1 space on the gallantry track afterwards.

3: When resetting the "gallantry, jousts, tournaments and studies" boards, the players are not reset to the 0 space, but instead remain their current positioning on the board, meaning: the last player goes to the 0 spot, the second last player to the 1 spot and so on.

What do you think about these rules? Do they really make the game "advanced"? Do they present harder challenges, tougher decisions or balance the game? Or are they not really necessary or even brake the game?

greetings, Enroth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These rules are also in the original version of the game, Medieval Academy.

I have seen rule (1) often be irrelevant, but also in the last turn of the game lead to a big points swing on the Charity board. I doubt there is often a tough decision for the start player how to use this, but it does compensate for his/her disadvantage (e.g. I remember in one game deciding between an advance on Joust or Tournament to avoid equaling the start player).

I often feel the Gallantry board is the most important to win. Rule (2) makes it easier for other players to compete there, while (3) makes it more difficult - I'm not sure this is a good thing.

In summary, I'm happy to play with them, but I don't think they make a big difference to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls