Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

This review is part of my series of reviews of how games have worked with my children, now aged 5, 8 and 10. For the full list see My children's game reviews - children aged between 2 and 13.

Fun Components:

Pit has many things to offer young children, but fancy components are not one of them. The cards have pictures of the different trading goods on them, and their values, but that's about it.

Simplicity of rules:

The rules are ever so simple - I was able to explain in a few seconds to my daughter's friend when she wanted to join in. We leave out the Bull and the Bear, and just use the basic cards - their rules add a bit more. But, just trade until you get 9 of the same type, and then you score the number of points printed is fairly obvious, and they've played Settlers, so they are used to the idea of trading.

Randomness:

There is very little "strategy" in the game, so children aren't at much of a disadvantage, but an adult is both slightly quicker at handling cards and trading them, and also at working out when to switch goods and collect something different, which gives them a small advantage. However, the luck of which cards you get dealt initially, and how the rest of the game trades, means that a child is at almost no disadvantage compared to an adult.

Did the children enjoy it?

The children absolutely loved it. The combination of loud trading across the table and the simplicity worked brilliantly, and even the 5 year old could get right into it straight away. When my daughter's friend came over, she asked to join in, and asked to play again later in the day - I think as an only child she wasn't used to such rowdy games! It was enough of a hit to be requested every day in half term, and sometimes twice a day! Very few games get the "daily request" honour, and when you do you know they're something special!

And how is it from the adult's point of view?

It's hardly a high class strategy game, but it is a lot of fun when played with children - just bring your ear defenders! Actually, it wasn't as loud as I was expecting in advance, but it certainly isn't a quiet game! We tend to play a fixed number of rounds so it doesn't overstay its welcome, and that way its a very enjoyable experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sa266 wrote:

Fun Components:

Pit has many things to offer young children, but fancy components are not one of them. The cards have pictures of the different trading goods on them, and their values, but that's about it.

What about the bell? May not be fancy, but my daughter loves ringing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

No bell in my copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is terrible news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers National Champions 2018, 2016, 1981
mbmbmbmbmb
sa266 wrote:

No bell in my copy!
Get a bell! The kids love to ring the bell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls