Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: theme [+] [View All]
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Toss a Coin to Your WitcherMicrobadge: It's a rare occurrence, like a double rainbow. Or like someone on the internet saying, You know what? You’ve convinced me I was wrong.Microbadge: Toilet PaperMicrobadge: Cat Rescue fanMicrobadge: Gelatinous cube fan
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
venrondua wrote:
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Themes can be distracting or just a turn off. I'm a middle aged professional and you want me to sit down and pretend I'm a dwarf in a dungeon with special powers?? There are some games that I won't buy just because the theme seems silly, childish, etc.

Themes can also go in and out of fashion: zombies, steampunk,...
I'm a middle aged professional and absolutely would want to be a dwarf in a dungeon with special powers. You're speaking of personal preference, age and "professionalism" doesn't come into play.
Fair enough.

I guess my point WAS about personal preference. You may want to be a dwarf, I may want to be a zombie, someone else my want to be a chef, or a bank robber, or an astronaut, or an insect, whatever. So, we may each search for certain games with that theme, AND avoid games that have other themes. So, the wrong theme (according to each person's preference) may mean that game doesn't get purchased, played, etc.

So, pasted on theme's that are pasted on for marketing purposes may be "hot" for a year, but then risk falling out of style.

Absolutely. I mostly took issue with the tone, that seemed to apply that only children (or the immature?) would like a themed game (like a dungeon crawl) and that is why abstracts are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Level 14 BGG posterMicrobadge: 70's Music fan
My wife and I seem to go through abstract "phases." For instance, we might play something like Gipf or Dvonn frequently over a 2 or 3 week period, but then not play again for more than a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: I'm a Concordia Vintner!Microbadge: I'm a Concordia Weaver!
fogus wrote:
I find myself often driven into a rage by the disconnect of Euro mechanics with their "theme."
That sounds more like a personal problem than a flaw with the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
The Temple of Andor, from a Spore GA Logic puzzle. Last EA game I ever bought.
Microbadge: Laurie AndersonMicrobadge: Tom Waits fanMicrobadge: Ursula K. Le Guin fanMicrobadge: Johnny Cash fanMicrobadge: Disneyland: Haunted Mansion fan
Thunkd wrote:
fogus wrote:
I find myself often driven into a rage by the disconnect of Euro mechanics with their "theme."
Definitely. My understanding is Eurogames are particularly designed to avoid creating emotional responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: I'm a Concordia Vintner!Microbadge: I'm a Concordia Weaver!
RingelTree wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
fogus wrote:
Definitely. My understanding is Eurogames are particularly designed to avoid creating emotional responses.
Nonsense! There's nothing quite like converting cubes to points more efficiently than your opponents. Why, I might even allow myself a brief quirk of the lips if I make a particularly efficient play. And perhaps, if I'm feeling particularly overcome with emotions, I'll push my score marker to the next spot with an ever so slightly more exuberant finger tap. Good times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: Icehouse fanMicrobadge: I speak JapaneseMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: 18xx fan
Thunkd wrote:
Not true... just look at this guy and try not to feel anger:

Board Game: Caylus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: Xbox One fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Revenge Solves EverythingMicrobadge: Viticulture fan
nycavri wrote:
Why do you enjoy them so much? why not remove a smidgen of luck from your hobby and convert to abstracts? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with euro gamers either, I'm just curious about what you find in theme-light euros that you don't find in perfect information abstract games?
But... there are euro games with no luck and perfect information.
Not to mention there are abstracts that have neither.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Welcome to Zombo.com. You can do anything at Zombo.com. Anything at all. The only limit is yourself.Microbadge: rightMicrobadge: RPG Geek of the Week!Microbadge: leftMicrobadge: Easily Misunderstood
Thunkd wrote:
fogus wrote:
cool

Of course it's not a personal problem.

My brain, used to contemporary art, will follow trains of thought and associations from whatever one throws at it. Games with theme disconnect make my brain feel like bumping into a wall, because it says "door", but there's nothing to open. Severely annoying - because there is an impression of an invitation. Theme is an invitation, to go into it and do whatever there is to do (make sense of rules, immerse, create narrative, depends on the game in question and what function does it give to theme). With theme disconnect games it's like trying to read a book which is just a stage prop - an impression of a book, but can't be opened or read.

However if a game makes it obvious there is no point to its theme and it's just "window dressing" to some mechanics in a box (Torres, Hansa Teutonica) then I don't have this issue, because I can tell there is no invitation to go into the theme.

RingelTree wrote:
I'd say this is a side effect, not the aim, but ok.
(Or it was a side effect with German games (casual, family games), but might have become the aim when american hobbyist interpreted this games in ways of competitive focus which gave rise to what are nowadays called euro-games. But, maybe this is a bit too much detail).

Still when a theme is used in euros, it's used to make rules intuitive, to help them make sense. So that the game is easier to learn and flow of the game make sense helping with lighter rules overhead. Power Grid for instance - the flow of the game makes sense (Buy powerplant, buy fuel for power plant, invest into a distribution network, burn fuel in power plants to supply your network and earn money. Without a theme, it would be quite complicated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
sgosaric wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
fogus wrote:
cool

Of course it's not a personal problem.
If I see someone "in a rage" because the theme of the game and the mechanics don't mesh... yeah, that guy's got problems that didn't come out of a game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: Icehouse fanMicrobadge: I speak JapaneseMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: 18xx fan
Thunkd wrote:
If I see someone "in a rage" because the theme of the game and the mechanics don't mesh... yeah, that guy's got problems that didn't come out of a game box.
When I see someone who misses the part of the post that says "just kidding" I assume that they didn't read the whole post. So where does the problem come from again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Microbadge: Blue Moon fanMicrobadge: Rules LawyerMicrobadge: Ra fanMicrobadge: Treefrog Line fanMicrobadge: Essen attendee
Two problems for you.

First, there are cards. All cards have a number on one side and a letter on the other. Four cards show A, B, 1, 2. Which two cards will you check the reverse of in order to test the hypothesis that if a card has a vowel on its letter side then it has an odd number on the other?

Second, in a bar there are four people. You can see that one is drinking whisky and one is drinking lemonade, but you can't see how old they are. You can see one is about 15 and one is about 40, but you can't see what they are drinking. Which two people do you go and check further?

Which was easier for you? What does that say about theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Out for blood - I play without mercyMicrobadge: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: One Night Ultimate Werewolf fan
plezercruz wrote:
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Themes can be distracting or just a turn off. I'm a middle aged professional and you want me to sit down and pretend I'm a dwarf in a dungeon with special powers?? There are some games that I won't buy just because the theme seems silly, childish, etc.

I don't know about that. In my experience, theme helps you put game mechanics in a context that makes sense, allowing you to play the game with an understanding of what is going on.

I'll offer one recent example:

I own a copy of Scandaroon. The best way I can describe it is that it's a card game on which every card has a point value and one or more powers. Unfortunately, it is almost completely unthemed. To make matters worse, the powers on the card are depicted with a symbology that would make Race for the Galaxy seem transparent...you constantly have to look at the player aid card to know what your cards do.

The fact that the game is unthemed makes it somewhat unintelligible. The card powers appear at first glance to be completely random and just thrown in for the hell of it, but they're not. There are four suits in the game, and they all have their "power set." Swords, for example, are offensive and allow you to make others discard, which is a very thematic mechanic, but it's underdeveloped. In many ways, Scandaroon has cards which fit the Magic: The Gathering motifs (Red=offensive, White=defensive, Blue=game manipulation, Green=card buffs)

I rethemed the game (printed my own cards in a Pokemon theme for the kids), assigning the various powers to factions which make sense, and the game really pops. It goes from a bland and soulless abstract to a game where the fire Pokemon make your opponents discard and the electric Pokemon benefit from the presense of other electric Pokemon and the earth Pokemon are difficult to dislodge and the water Pokemon are "fluid" and can draw/disard for better advantage.

With the theme, Scandaroon, plays VERY well. Without the theme, arguably it played just as well, but nobody I ever showed it to understood it or cared to try.

Pete (thinks a good theme makes gameplay far more intuitive and fun)
Now I want that Pokemon retheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
venrondua wrote:
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
venrondua wrote:
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

I'm a middle aged professional and absolutely would want to be a dwarf in a dungeon with special powers. You're speaking of personal preference, age and "professionalism" doesn't come into play.
Fair enough.

I guess my point WAS about personal preference. You may want to be a dwarf, I may want to be a zombie, someone else my want to be a chef, or a bank robber, or an astronaut, or an insect, whatever. So, we may each search for certain games with that theme, AND avoid games that have other themes. So, the wrong theme (according to each person's preference) may mean that game doesn't get purchased, played, etc.

So, pasted on theme's that are pasted on for marketing purposes may be "hot" for a year, but then risk falling out of style.

Absolutely. I mostly took issue with the tone, that seemed to apply that only children (or the immature?) would like a themed game (like a dungeon crawl) and that is why abstracts are better.
Sorry about the tone. I was trying to be just a little bit sarcastic to prove my point. The fact is I have some favorite themes, and some I avoid. My favorite themes are just as "childish and silly" as the ones I don't like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Microbadge: BirdwatcherMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Agricola fan
Abstracts create an entirely different experience, and typically have a much greater depth of play available to them. They also embrace simplicity and generate hours from nothing, seemingly.

I need more abstracts, because one always needs more abstracts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys and Two GirlsMicrobadge: Intel fanMicrobadge: Born in 1964Microbadge: Latter-day Saint
There's a certain excitement when played with a timer. See Magnus Carlsen play with 30sec against 3min....and lose on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Microbadge: Andy Warhol fanMicrobadge: She-Ra fanMicrobadge: Tori Amos fanMicrobadge: Kate Bush fanMicrobadge: Xena fan
It still really bugs me how the word "theme" is used so casually in board gaming to mean everything from setting, flavour, story, plot to whatnot...

(edited because i can neither spell nor type)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Microbadge: BirdwatcherMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Agricola fan
dennisthebadger wrote:
It still really bugs me how the word "theme" is used so casually in board gaming to mean everything from setting, flavour, story, plot to whatnot...

(edited because i can neither spell nor type)
I always took it to mean artwork . I'm always amused by how little imagination some players have, that they need to be spoon fed 'theme' to be engaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Microbadge: NSKN Games "Progress: Evolution of Technology" Contest participantMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Crosscut Games "Wizards of the Wild" Contest participantMicrobadge: Cool Mini Or Not "Blood Rage" Contest participantMicrobadge: Renegade Game Studios "Lanterns" Contest participant
Thunkd wrote:
Well, I'm not an abstract only gamer by any means, but about 1/3rd of my gaming time is devoted to one particular abstract, Go, so I feel I have a little bit of perspective from which to answer your question.

Quote:
what you find in theme-less abstracts that you don't find in theme-light euro games?
Depth.

Most Euro games are designed so that you can sit down, learn the game, and be fairly proficient at it on your first play. Sure, the best players in the world will still own you, but the path to getting on par with those players is fairly short.

Comparatively, the first time you play Go, you will be quite horrible. Fortunately, Go has a beautiful handicapping system that allows for new (horrible) players to compete against better more experienced players. But there's a lot you have to learn to become a better player. And you could easily spend your entire lifetime devoting yourself to Go and always be improving and getting better and always knowing there are better players that could trounce you.

You can argue that I'm under-representing how much time and effort that it takes to get good at Euros... but like I said... I play Euro's 2/3rds of the time and Go 1/3rd of the time and there's absolutely no comparison. There is almost infinite depth in Go, while I've never run across a Euro that I thought had even a fraction of the same depth.
This makes me want to ask the hardcore abstract gamers something: How often do you actually find this sort of depth among your abstract games?

I play abstracts and enjoy them a lot, but while I love a good abstract I don't think I've ever found a modern abstract that actually felt like it had this sort of depth that games like Go and Chess are famous for. Which is not to say that there aren't any, of course, but how many are there? Is that really a reason to love abstracts in general or just a few specific games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hockey fanMicrobadge: Android developerMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Spiel des Jahres fanMicrobadge: Non smoker
grendelsbayne wrote:

This makes me want to ask the hardcore abstract gamers something: How often do you actually find this sort of depth among your abstract games?

...I don't think I've ever found a modern abstract that actually felt like it had this sort of depth that games like Go and Chess are famous for... how many are there?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_complexity#Complexities_o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bruno
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

Middle-aged professional here, too, and I'm the exact opposite.

If you tell me we're playing a game where I can be a dwarf in a dungeon with special powers I'll be the first one at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Microbadge: NSKN Games "Progress: Evolution of Technology" Contest participantMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Crosscut Games "Wizards of the Wild" Contest participantMicrobadge: Cool Mini Or Not "Blood Rage" Contest participantMicrobadge: Renegade Game Studios "Lanterns" Contest participant
gmc14 wrote:
grendelsbayne wrote:

...I don't think I've ever found a modern abstract that actually felt like it had this sort of depth that games like Go and Chess are famous for... how many are there?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_complexity#Complexities_o...

Thanks for the link. It's a very fascinating comparison, though I have no idea really how to translate any of those numbers to 'depth', except that Go seems be either first or second in almost every category, and always far above the average, while Chess looks only average from these measurements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dixit fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: The Resistance: Avalon fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Neanderthal fan
The most surprising entry has to be stratego

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
grendelsbayne wrote:
I don't think I've ever found a modern abstract that actually felt like it had this sort of depth that games like Go and Chess are famous for.
I can't help you with modern abstracts. I've played a few that were interesting, but the only two abstracts I've ever fell in love with were Chess and Go, primarily because of their depth.

The closest modern abstract I can think of that may have a similar depth is Khet, the laser game. It feels a lot like Chess though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Codex: Card-Time Strategy fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fanMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: Implementing the Perfect Solution... to Counter Clipping!
kroen wrote:
I have no problem with gamers that have huge collections with an abstract sprinkled here in there. Hell, I enjoy dabbling into abstract myself occsaionaly. My question is for gamers that have their bulk of their collection comprised entirely of abstract games: Why do you enjoy them so much? why not add a smidgen of theme to your hobby and convert to euro? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with abstract gamers either, I'm just curious about what you find in theme-less abstracts that you don't find in theme-light euro games?
I find that abstract games are usually the easiest to teach and most often have the least amount of rules. This can be less intimidating to people that don't game very often. Having a good collection of abstract games can provide more variety when hosting non-gamers, yet you want to provide games as a form of entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
grendelsbayne wrote:
I play abstracts and enjoy them a lot, but while I love a good abstract I don't think I've ever found a modern abstract that actually felt like it had this sort of depth that games like Go and Chess are famous for.
It's hard to know the depth of modern games as it takes many (hundreds? thousands?) years to build a deep historical record of their possibilities. That said, I've found/played/researched a good set of modern abstracts that seem to have great potential for similar depth including (but not limited to): Slither, Yinsh, Gipf, Emergo, Havannah, Catchup, Arimaa, Oust, Homeworlds, and Ayu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |