BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Question about starting out in X-wing miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I recently became enamored with the x-wing miniatures game after watching a couple of videos and hearing a friend gush about how great it is. I looked on Amazon and saw that there were 2 starter sets, one a pretty new one for the force awakens, and the original. I got one of each (they are on the way) and am wondering in hindsight if this was the best way to start. Also, where should I got from here?

Thanks!!
DD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two core sets is a great way to start for a few reasons. First of all, a second core set is usually cheaper than buying three separate ship expansions. You also get more dice and tokens, plus an extra set of maneuver templates, which is helpful for playing with people who may not own the game themselves.

A thing to be aware of is that the two core sets have different damage decks. The original one was updated and included in the Force Awakens core set to address some balance issues (namely some of the critical hit cards having no effect on certain ships and builds). Either deck is usable, but be aware that there are differences between the two. The Force Awakens deck has a small "1/33", "2/33", etc. in the bottom left corner of the card so you can tell the sets apart.

For more advice, I'll point you to the X-Wing forums here on BGG. More veteran X-Wing players will see your questions there and you'll get a lot more help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
Two core sets is a great way to start for a few reasons. First of all, a second core set is usually cheaper than buying three separate ship expansions. You also get more dice and tokens, plus an extra set of maneuver templates, which is helpful for playing with people who may not own the game themselves.

A thing to be aware of is that the two core sets have different damage decks. The original one was updated and included in the Force Awakens core set to address some balance issues (namely some of the critical hit cards having no effect on certain ships and builds). Either deck is usable, but be aware that there are differences between the two. The Force Awakens deck has a small "1/33", "2/33", etc. in the bottom left corner of the card so you can tell the sets apart.

For more advice, I'll point you to the X-Wing forums here on BGG. More veteran X-Wing players will see your questions there and you'll get a lot more help.

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.