Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yannick D
Belgium
Herentals
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I will be visiting London this weekend (6th till the 9th) and was wondering if there are some must visit Board Game shops and Board Game cafés?
I'll definitely try to visit the Pop Up Board Game Cafe! event.

By the way I'm staying near St. Albans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Indonesia fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: Madeira fanMicrobadge: Border Collie lover
London has surprisingly few board game shops for a city of its size. We have:
Draughts (board game cafe, East London) - I've been here once, nice place
Orc's Nest (shop, Central London) - Pretty small, but packs a lot of games over 2 floors. No play space.
Leisure Games (shop, North London) - Actually only been once, didn't seem to offer much over Orc's Nest and is much further from me. Does have play space though.

If you're just looking to play, London on Board have meetups pretty much every day, though I've not gone to them, they seem highly recommended for tourists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Imperium - waiting for publisher to announce :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
And Forbidden Planet has a small selection of games (and various CCG stuff like binders and sleeves etc) in the basement - they're round the corner from Orcs Nest in Shaftesbury Avenue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Info
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
You'll also find any UK shops (especially London) much more expensive than shops in the rest of Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick D
Belgium
Herentals
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers and advice. I was already afraid that the prices were going to be sky-high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
European games will be much cheaper in Germany than the UK. I am curious though whether games from US producers vary much in price, though.

If you are prepared to travel to Coventry, which is hardly close to St Albans, then you could check out Cambridge, which has many game clubs and a decent shop with play space.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, Cambridge is a bit closer than Coventry (~45 minutes by train) and Saturday is the monthly GradPad Games day (free), followed by games at Heffers bookstore (small entrance fee...can't remember how much). So you can get a good 12+ hours of games in that day, if you're up for it.

Location of GradPad: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.20107&mlon=0.11634#map...

Location of Heffers: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.20699&mlon=0.11826#map...

Game store: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.18924&mlon=0.13523#map...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your schedule permits it, perhaps check out London On Board and join in one of their game nights . We were able to do that while we were in London last May and we had a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Video Game Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my gamesMicrobadge: Extended Stats user
I'm going to be visiting London the week before and have the Red Herring and Sir Christopher Hatton on the map for game nights. See you all there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second meeting up with the London On Board group. I had a lot of fun with that group when I visited London three years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
Microbadge: Blue Öyster Cult fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan - William Hartnell, 1st DoctorMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: Flamme Rouge fan!Microbadge: Golden Geeklister
thdizzy wrote:
I second meeting up with the London On Board group. I had a lot of fun with that group when I visited London three years ago.
That long ago already, doesn't time fly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls