Subject: Point Scoring? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Pullen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My significant other and I have played the game through twice now and I've somehow managed to score 37 points both times. She scored 38 our first game and 26 on our second. I'm curious how people are getting scores between 60-80 points?

I had 5 and 6 workers. The first game I tried to get my resource track filled up (only made it to 6 resources though). The second, I focused on exploring. I was able to successfully explore 5 of the 7 rounds (awful roles on two attempts). Even if I'd completed all 7, I wouldn't have made up the 35 point gap others are reporting so where are these points coming from?

Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The high scores (80+) I've seen reported were games where they were using the Tools and Quests from the mini-expansion.

My wife scored 68 in our second game by piling up Paper and Amethyst, and buying the corresponding bonus card. She also had the card that gave income for Amethyst and Stone, and she had a couple great explores. There was definitely a bit of luck involved in her score, but the key was that she made the most out of everything. When she explored, she tried to reach high. A weak exploration isn't worth the effort. When she compiled resources, she made sure to pile up the more valuable ones for big points.

I scored 48 that game. I probably could've hit 50, but I made a mistake. I went heavy explore, aiming high on most explorations, and I had a large village with the corresponding bonus. I had some resources from exploration, but I didn't get a crazy amount of points from there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game the I played broke down to something like, 8 or 9 points for the building cards themselves (1 per), 6-ish? points provided by maybe two of those buildings, 14-16 points from one of the star cards that give you end game bonuses, and 30-something points for resources. I was able to put five mushrooms (mainly from harvesting) on a 3-pt slot, so that accounted for nearly half of my resource points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
Lyppes
Microbadge: Cloudspire fanMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: Chip Theory Games fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones: Undertow fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones fan
Did you purchase any Star buildings? They are the "end game" scoring bonuses that have contributed to most high scores I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember you score for EACH resource in storage, and not just one per space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game twice with my wife. Scores have been in the 50s-60s range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game I played with fiancée played we scored 58 and 54 and we were playing base game only, no expanded edition content. Our biggest scoring came from where she went for a lot of villagers and the star tile that scores for villagers. I went for as many buildings as I could and got the star tile that scores bonus for each building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mb
I'll have to keep track of the specifics next time we play.

A lot comes from goods (at least one time I got over 40 points from goods, but this does vary). The star buildings typically give 15-20 points, sometimes more when someone gets 2. Other buildings add up to another 12 or so, sometimes more. The quests are often good for at least 10 points.

If someone is well ahead in goods this can snowball - more goods means more income, more quests, and more points from those goods.

I think playing mostly 2 player probably gives us more point opportunity - you get more tools each, can complete more quests and have better access to the best star buildings (there's a couple that are particularly popular, so that gives each of us one of those).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't getting high scores because you are exploring and collecting different resources. Neither of those actions win you the game. This is a game of getting a bonus card and absolutely maxing out on that one thing you get a bonus for. Those other actions should only be performed if they directly support whatever it is you are maxing out on.

The game is a strange one to me in that the winning strategies are not the most fun strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mb
joewyka wrote:
You aren't getting high scores because you are exploring and collecting different resources. Neither of those actions win you the game. This is a game of getting a bonus card and absolutely maxing out on that one thing you get a bonus for. Those other actions should only be performed if they directly support whatever it is you are maxing out on.

The game is a strange one to me in that the winning strategies are not the most fun strategies.
I disagree. We always play to have the most fun, which for us means exploring most rounds, and sometimes even twice in a round - and we've been getting in the 70's and 80's.

It's definitely not the case that a lot of exploring is incompatible with high scores. I think you do need to have at least one good star card - but that doesn't need to be the focus for the game. We usually end up buying a star building in only the last round (very occasionally the previous round).

Edit: I think I remember getting just 27 points in my first game. I think the best thing to do to improve your scores is just to keep playing. We ended up increasing our scores quite a lot from our first few games - and then adding in Quests and Tools seemed to add a further 20ish points to our winning scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just scored 76 points.

That was my second time playing. I think the key for me was recruiting early on I had 6 villagers for most of the game which really let me do a lot. Also I focused HEAVILY on getting resources. I managed to get some of the tougher to get ones early and threw those in my track then as the game progressed I put stacks of easier to get ones in the 4 and 5 point per good spots. The first game I played I scored a total of 46 points total I did more than that total JUST in my goods track. Then at the very last round I snagged the 2 points per villager special house. A few things

- successfully exploring often gets you resources which is awesome because then you dont have to buy a building and spend a harvest action to get them.

- Really put to use the fact you can purchase resources from other players. This is sometimes worth paying 5-7 coins JUST to fill up a spot on that track. Again this avoids you having to pay money to buy a building with resources and then spend actions harvesting.

- After you have made your way up the track a bit do whatever it takes to just get one of the easier resources. The buildings that produce per round are HUGELY important especially if you get them early. I stacked like 6-8 fruit way out towards the end of my track this way.

Good luck! Post an update when you get your next score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mb
We played last night, and my husband scored 88 points (our highest ever score ever, by 1 point) so I wrote down where his points came from.

3 player game
We were playing with Tools and Quests.
He explored 6 times over the course of the game, and ended with 6 villagers.

Points from buildings: Total of 33 points

Just for the number of buildings 1x9 = 9 points
Extra points on building cards =14 points
Bonus on star building (points for outposts) = 10 points

Quests: 8 points
(2 quests completed)

Reputation: 7 points (5 for first place, 2 for position on track )

Goods: 40 points
(he had 7 different types of goods. He only gained two types of goods from his buildings, the rest came from exploring)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Langford
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
How are you all getting enough beds to use all these villagers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Why did you get points for 2 completed quests? Did you have a building that gave you those points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
toober wrote:
Why did you get points for 2 completed quests? Did you have a building that gave you those points?
OP wrote that this was using a "Tools & Quests" expansion- maybe that's where it came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls