Subject: Demons theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi all,

After some heated discussions about overusing zombie/space themes,
I started pondering about one thing, how you all feel about demon-summoning themed games?

I have seen a good amount of demons recently, probably not near the amount of zombies...but still, a fair amount. Between some lovecraftian games, and some other horror games, do you feel the theme is starting to be overused?

And being a little more specific, how do you feel aboutThe Big Book of Madness theme? A kind of cartoony interpretation of the genre. I loved the idea and the take it has on it, just looking for some other people opnion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not at all. I see monsters used a lot, and I don't think that will ever change, but demons, I hardly ever see demons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love zombies, would welcome more variety.

I don't have an issue with it, whatsoever - it's all make-believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
Demons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Demons will turn off a lot of religious people, even many of those that are okay with magic and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Demons will turn off a lot of religious people, even many of those that are okay with magic and such.
That's what I like about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's a good thematic direction to explore if it inspires some mechanical novelties. The Big Book of Madness show some promise in that respect.

Traditionally, magical power derives from some kind of secret (occult) ritual practice. Making a game of that has the advantage that games themselves are a kind of ritual, so there is a natural translation into game mechanisms.

Instead most fantasy games are representing magic as glowing wisps of low-budget CGI that exude from the pores when you try your hardest to look constipated. This doesn't suggest any game mechanisms in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demons AND zombies...meh.

Now Classic Universal movie monsters, that would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, this is my face. Part of it, anyway.
Microbadge: You've been CakedMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ComposerMicrobadge: 200 yahoo boots f*** yahoo messenger how's want boots
tecocohen wrote:
Hi all,

I started pondering about one thing, how you all feel about demon-summoning themed games?

I have seen a good amount of demons recently, probably not near the amount of zombies...but still, a fair amount. Between some lovecraftian games, and some other horror games, do you feel the theme is starting to be overused?

And being a little more specific, how do you feel aboutThe Big Book of Madness theme? A kind of cartoony interpretation of the genre. I loved the idea and the take it has on it, just looking for some other people opnion.
I'm not clear how this is a problem...can you explain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
mutton_chops wrote:
tecocohen wrote:
Hi all,

I'm not clear how this is a problem...can you explain?
There is not really any problem i just got curious and wanted community opnion on this, nothing major.

Sorry if i explained myself porly.

I was just wondering how people see demon theme and how this theme is being used recently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls