Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergio Torres
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think injured models don't roll -1 when rolling for magical attacks, as the rules say:

Magical Attacks require
the players to roll for an
attacker and defender just
like Shooting or Fighting
[....]
Magical attacks are never
modified by any standard
modifiers.

However, in this video of Beast of War, the modify the roll when the mage was injured:

https://youtu.be/6ygBGc2sDdM

I would say it's an error in the video because the written rule is clear.

But, then, what's the point of Danor getting injured so easily, as he will likely attack only with magic instead of hand to hand combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this might be a mental hold over from way back in the alpha rules which did not have that level a detail and said you treat it is a shooting attack. I thought it was that way since I played the alpha but not the beta tests. The beta rules clearly state that injury is ignored. That makes crystalize awesome I mainly thought it was there to compensate for that easily lost injury attack die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garrapeta wrote:

But, then, what's the point of Danor getting injured so easily, as he will likely attack only with magic instead of hand to hand combat?
You get -1 dice when you are involved in a fight,not only when you are fighting hand to hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
garrapeta wrote:

You get -1 dice when you are involved in a fight,not only when you are fighting hand to hand.
Because the smart overlord want to fight him. Fastest way to the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Torres
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
garrapeta wrote:

I'm not sure...
the rules say:

Magical attacks are never
modified by any standard
modifiers
. However some
game effects or magical
items may affect the roll,
such as Energy Crystals.

So, I think it's clear...
This is what happens when you can't find illustrative examples in your rulebook.

Also, I have realised that traps inflict Magical Attacks as well.

I guess Magical Attacks are those of such a nature that the normal physical or tactical factors that would apply to a fight are irrelevant: you cannot parry a fire ball or dodge a poisoned needle in trap.

It seems de designer first envisioned this concept of unmodified attacks when working on magic and called them "Magical attacks". Then, as he did not want -1's for outnumbered or injured in traps, he reused this concept for traps (which btw, seems anti thematic to me to say that traps inflict magical attacks...)

I don't know if I'm thinking too much, but I suspect it's like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but i was refering to the defence dice you'll have to roll when you are attacked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Torres
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
but i was refering to the defence dice you'll have to roll when you are attacked
Ok, I now see.

When casting spells, neither the attacker nor the defender roll -1.

However, if a spell caster is injured, he will be less able to defence himself when being attacked, even if he will be still proficient in his spell casting.

That explains why Danor being injured so quickly still makes a different in the game.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that you cannot have less than 2 dice when rolling (as explained on page 15 in the rulebook). So what happens then?

Danor only rolls 2 combat dice so he can't go less than that when defending so the rules state that he must reduce his armor by 1, except Danor only has 1 armor.

???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Torres
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
:-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
can armour go to zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
If Danor did get some boost to his attacke his injury would then kick in so its still has potential to affect the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Troll66 wrote:
can armour go to zero?
No, I don't think it can. Also, without any boosts then it seems it doesn't matter if Danor is injured or not when defending. Not sure about attacks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Torres
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickydude wrote:
Troll66 wrote:
can armour go to zero?
Not sure about attacks though.
Not magical attacks for sure.
For physical attacks the would roll -1. But as a wizard is unlikely he will attack hand to hand.

So, I'd say that unless he has any boost or something, the stats that make Danor to be injured so easily don't have any real effect in gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Troll66 wrote:
can armour go to zero?
Armour can never go below 1. It's mentioned somewhere in the core rules. (Don't have them here). As I recall it, it's the box on the bottom of the page where they describe the dice limits.
A 1 always fails and a 6 always succeeds.

To sum up, when fighting/shooting you always roll from 2 to 6 dice and your armor is always from 1 to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:
Unless the 6 is blocked by another 6, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
EverywhereGames wrote:
magikerendk wrote:
Unless the 6 is blocked by another 6, yes?
Yes, the 6 might be blocked by a 6, but not by armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:
Yes, the 6 might be blocked by a 6, but not by armor.
Yes.

Unless you got the DS Hero and Overlord dice, in which case there is no 6, there is only the DS logo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:
Troll66 wrote:
can armour go to zero?
Armour can never go below 1. It's mentioned somewhere in the core rules. (Don't have them here). As I recall it, it's the box on the bottom of the page where they describe the dice limits.

To sum up, when fighting/shooting you always roll from 2 to 6 dice and your armor is always from 1 to 5.
Do you have a reference for the 6 max dice. I did not see it in the fighting section of the AC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
eriochrome wrote:
magikerendk wrote:
Troll66 wrote:
can armour go to zero?

Do you have a reference for the 6 max dice. I did not see it in the fighting section of the AC.
As i recall it's in the feat section of the AC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Page 60 under the Abilities section:

"EXTRA DICE
Abilities that add dice work the same way as other modifiers, simply giving you more to roll.
However, after all modifiers have been taken into account, no dice roll can use more than 6 dice. Any extra are lost."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls