Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
Microbadge: My microbadges are hot!Microbadge: Look!Microbadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: Look!Microbadge: My microbadges are hot!
Regarding hideouts dropping off the 6th space of Dracula's trail, at least four times over both rulebooks I read the phrase "...must either mature that hideout or convert it to a lair." However nowhere do the rulebooks mention simply taking the location card back into hand again. Is that no longer an option? Must the dropped off location either be matured or become a lair?

In the 2nd edition, nobody who was traveling by sea could double back to a previously traveled sea zone. (Thematically, the character was aboard a ship that was heading to another destination, not sailing in circles.) However this rule is not stated in the 3rd edition. Does this mean hunters now have more flexibility in their sea travel, or are they not allowed to ping-pong back and forth in sea zones even though this is no longer explicitly stated?

When Dracula plays a new card into his trail, an encounter card is added to the new hideout. If this hideout drops off the trail, it could be converted into a lair and another encounter card added. If Dracula later moves to this lair, it can be converted back to a hideout and it appears that yet another encounter card is added. And if Dracula were to next play "Hide", a fourth encounter could be added to this location. Theoretically, this cycle could keep being repeated and more encounters added. Is that correct? Could a location potentially have 4 (or more!) encounters on it?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Dracula could convert the hideout which is dropping off the trail into a lair (providing there's a space, otherwise replace one).

And the LtP says (though I can't find any mention in the RR at the moment) he can clear a lair at any time (returning the location card to his deck).

So I guess that's the same end result? A bit messier though!

Learn to Play, pg 15 wrote:
Lairs
Dracula may clear a lair at any time, and he must clear a lair if
all encounter cards are removed from that lair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Regarding hideouts dropping off the 6th space of Dracula's trail, at least four times over both rulebooks I read the phrase "...must either mature that hideout or convert it to a lair." However nowhere do the rulebooks mention simply taking the location card back into hand again. Is that no longer an option? Must the dropped off location either be matured or become a lair?
I asked FFG about this. You are allowed to mature the hideout and choose not to resolve any of the card effects, just taking the location back into the deck and discarding the encounters.

Quote:
In the 2nd edition, nobody who was traveling by sea could double back to a previously traveled sea zone. (Thematically, the character was aboard a ship that was heading to another destination, not sailing in circles.) However this rule is not stated in the 3rd edition. Does this mean hunters now have more flexibility in their sea travel, or are they not allowed to ping-pong back and forth in sea zones even though this is no longer explicitly stated?
This is discussed elsewhere, the rule seems to have been dropped in the 3rd edition allowing the ping pong you mention.

Quote:
When Dracula plays a new card into his trail, an encounter card is added to the new hideout. If this hideout drops off the trail, it could be converted into a lair and another encounter card added. If Dracula later moves to this lair, it can be converted back to a hideout and it appears that yet another encounter card is added. And if Dracula were to next play "Hide", a fourth encounter could be added to this location. Theoretically, this cycle could keep being repeated and more encounters added. Is that correct? Could a location potentially have 4 (or more!) encounters on it?
There is nothing in the rules to prevent it, note that there are other effects that can add encounters to hideouts as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
squash wrote:

There is nothing in the rules to prevent it, note that there are other effects that can add encounters to hideouts as well.
Agreed. Note that, based on a discussion in another thread, if these multiple encounters on one location included more than one new vampire, if the location matured, only one vampire would resolve (because part of the resolution involves clearing the location). [This is a tentative conclusion, not an official ruling.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
The learn to play guide, when talking about rumor tokens specifically mentions Dracula maturing "one or more vampire encounters from a hideout".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
The learn to play guide, when talking about rumor tokens specifically mentions Dracula maturing "one or more vampire encounters from a hideout".
But the hierarchy of rule disputes says that Cards trump Rules Reference Guide and Rules Reference Guide trumps Learn to Play. The cards are specific that you clear a hideout after maturing a vampire which would indicate that only one vampire at a time. RRG is silent on the subject. Given the number of errors in this game, it would be best to wait for official clarification - and play as the cards dictate in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls