Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing this game using unofficial Double Blind rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GARY SEVEN
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

There has been talk on some other forums about possibly adapting this game to be played using some kind of double blind rules.

I think this would be cool personally because a lot of Star Wars battles involve not knowing where the enemy is or what the exact troop strength is.

Since this game seems to use some kind of zone movement I am not sure exactly how a DB system might function in this game.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lehnen
United States
Bethalto
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a war gamer at heart I love that idea. Some of the most fun war games I have played are single or double blind. There is just so much inherent tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us inunitiated, what do you mean by double-blind rules? Do players submit moves to a GM, like Diplomacy or something? It sounds really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lehnen
United States
Bethalto
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without seeing the game my first thought would be setting up two copies of the game seperat d by a screen. Each player plays on their own board and would have to "call out" their move to see if there is an enemy. You could mark known or suspected enemy units on you own board with minis from your game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I did some googling and found some rules variants for war games like that. Like Battleship, but good =) Even though it requires a referee, it's a great way to simulate fog of war, looks really interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Make a small cardboard screen for each planet, and for each production queue, and for the rebel base.

Whoever either gets loyalty or subjugates each planet gets to use the screen, but must lift the screen as soon as an enemy unit or leader enters the system (maybe move it so units are in front of rather than behind the screen). I'd leave neutral planets as open information because scum and villany (though of course imperials subjugate a neutral planet as soon as they land there)

My suspicion is that this isn't worth the fiddlyness it adds, because leaders zip around the map so much that screens would spend more time revealed than not.

You can visit a quarter of the map every turn.

I also suspect leaders would always have to remain on the main map, otherwise things like capture mechanics would break down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Carey
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
One solution might be to make some numbered cardboard chits with pairs.

Set your forces up off the board, place a chit with the force and a chit on the board. Move the chit on the board (your opponent wont know what force it is - they will just know there is a rumor of activity in that system).

When two enemy forces meet, show the chits and move the forces to the board. After the battle you can take your forces off the board, replacing the chits.

If you have a force that you split apart, keep the chit with one part, and place a new chit with the other parts. That way even after battles it might be hard for your enemy to tell where your units are "Hmmm I just lost a battle against the death star, but my strike force is within range... did he keep it where it was, or move it away...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Too Many Bones fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault - Thorns of the BriarqueenMicrobadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: Cyberpunk 2020 RPG fanMicrobadge: Ars Victor fan
Thematicaly, this game is already single-blinded. The Empire does not know the position of the Rebel base.

For a true (and simple) double blind game, an Umpire and 2 copies of the game would be needed.

I see the Rebels would know the exact composition of Imperial forces on Neutral populated, Subjugated systems and Rebel Loyal systems. Non populated systems would need some sort of "scout". Each X-Wing adjacent to a non populated system could "scout" one system for free. Empire Loyal systems would not reveal Force composition.

Imperial spies are also everywhere. The Empire would know the composition of Rebel forces on all populated systems except Rebel Loyal systems. Imperial "scout" units would be the Assault Carrier, also doing one free "scout" on adjacent non populated systems per turn.

Any system where a leader succeeds on a mission also gets "scouted" as to Force composition.

This would increase game time by a fair amount.

If you think on doing even forces blindness you could use "Fleet" (2+ ships) and "Army" (2+ ground units) tokens, and the exact composition would only be know with special missions, Leaders, etc. I think would change too much of the possible play balance and maybe need too many rules.

My 2c.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls